Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1on - quality effects? Alternatives?

lemmywinks

The zoom b3 is much much easier to use using the software.

I had an issue not being able to save a patch to existing patch ie A4 to A4 when using just the box. On the pc it works very very easily and the rename function is much easier to use. 

38 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I did try this but you have to hold down footswitch 1 for a second or 2 to go into this mode, then I had trouble with some of the effects being turned off, with the B1on it's permanently in this mode so much simpler, for what I use it for anyway, I've lent it to a friend at the moment I'll have another play when I get it back, I got it because some said the effects were better than the B1on but I didn't find this, not the ones I use anyway

I've not had this issue myself but I can fully understand how it can easily happen.

Just a though, there is a setting somewhere for auto saving any changes you make on the fly, I'm wondering if this is turned off so that when you change patches the unit recalls the last save where a particular effect was turned off instead of the last time you actually used it with the effect in question turned on, if that makes sense? Might be worth a look if only to rule it out as a possibility?

55 minutes ago, ped said:

That's why I prefer a limiter - you get all the punch and none of the spikes.

@ped, am I right in thinking you're a slapper (insert innuendo here)? In which case a limiter is likely to be the more obvious choice. 

For my heavy handed finger-style compression is my preferred choice. 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I think you had exactly the same reaction to the Aguilar TLC which many folk, including me, consider to be pretty good? For what it's worth I struggled to get any effective compression from my B3n and preferred the Aguilar TLC to the Zoom B3n by some margin. I'm looking forward to seeing if the patches on the MS-60B are any better following the firmware update and how they both stack up to the MXR M87 comp, I've just recently managed to get my hands on.

As you've rightly said elsewhere, compression is one of the most subtle effects. I think you've highlighted above very well a key concern that many folk have, which is that in a band context the use of a compressor becomes so subtle as to be pointless. A criticism not easily levelled at just about any other effect be it dirt, filter, delay etc. And I guess perhaps one of the reasons why the use (or not) of compressors divides opinion amongst us bassists so much?

Nor does the B3n or MS-60B. The Zoom B3, however, does which I think folk are starting to appreciate (having seen the FS prices of B3s go back up from £70 to around £95 more recently on this forum!)

My issue with the Aguilar TLC was it's apparent inability to control dynamics. No matter what I did it just didn't give me the subtle compression that I want. Admittedly I didn't try it in a band situation, but being a devout compressor user for many years, I have my ear attuned to the sound that I want and works in a band situation but was unable to get anywhere close to that with the TLC. It was just bland and lifeless, no dynamic control, no punch, not even any likeable tonal colouration - although it claims transparency so that is hardly surprising. The EBS was subtle but at least it did have a degree of dynamic control, albeit one that wasn't for me. All IMO, IME etc etc. 

Which compression models were you using on the B3n? In what regard did they not meet your needs?

I'd argue the opposite, that in a band context compression is more obvious on the bass in so far as it smooths out the peaks and makes the bass more consistent across all the strings and allows it to sit better in the mix, with the caveat that you've set it up properly and don't have any radical eq settings.

There are many people who don't like compression but I think this is because it is widely misunderstood, they are expecting it to be an obvious effect like the ones you listed above so they set it up so they can hear an obvious difference. By that time you have squashed the bass tone to within an inch of its life and are left with an unusable bass sound. Less is more with compression. Set it up with the band playing behind you to optimise your settings and it brings the bass to life, IMO. 

Edited by Osiris
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Osiris said:

@ped, am I right in thinking you're a slapper (insert innuendo here)? In which case a limiter is likely to be the more obvious choice. 

For my heavy handed finger-style compression is my preferred choice. 

A bit, but mainly I have a super low action and very gentle right hand technique which means the limiter allows for the dynamics to come through and provide a 'stop' when I dig in or start slapping.

I hope this doesn't get misquoted ;)

• 1 year later...

I've just come back to using a B1on. Only using 2 patches with the same amp sim and pre amp (just adding another overdrive in the other patch). Loving it so far. 

I'm finding being able to tweak eq and blend in effects for each patch really useful.

I've heard people say that the drive sounds aren't great but that hasn't been my experience at all. 

52 minutes ago, rOB said:

I've just come back to using a B1on. Only using 2 patches with the same amp sim and pre amp (just adding another overdrive in the other patch). Loving it so far. 

I'm finding being able to tweak eq and blend in effects for each patch really useful.

I've heard people say that the drive sounds aren't great but that hasn't been my experience at all. 

I too use the B1on for varying degrees of overdrive/distortion and EQ (and the tuner), sounds ok to me, in fact I bought a B3 but moved it on, it sounded identical and, although easier to adjust the settings was a lot bulkier

• Like 1