Why become a member? ×

String bending

Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1508245190' post='3390785']
Hmm... E and A, I tend to pull down towards the floor; D and G I push up towards the ceiling. I've always thought it was a question of which direction gave me more fretboard to push/pull across!

Frankly, if you're hitting the right pitches with your bends, who gives a monkey's?
[/quote]

That's the nail on the head really.
Kinda makes sense to bend towards the middle of the fretboard as they'll be more room but I don't think it really matters either way.

I've never given this a thought though, I didn't even realise there was a "wrong" way to some people! :blink:

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1508245453' post='3390791']
Polite :lol:
[/quote]

I'm told I have a way with words!

It just strikes me as a little odd that there should be a "wrong" direction to bend - if your bends are on pitch, and you're not accidentally dragging the string off the top or bottom of the board then that would seem to be the "right" direction to me. That said, if you know somebody who can explain why one or t'other way is wrong, I'd be very interested to hear their reasoning!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1508251807' post='3390862']
Watching various youtube clips it does seem that the accepted method is to push up...
[/quote]
Don't you mean there's lots of videos of people doing it wrong? :o

If someone told me I was bending the string the wrong way, I'd tell them that their fx pedals are in the wrong order.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1508245190' post='3390785']
Hmm... E and A, I tend to pull down towards the floor; D and G I push up towards the ceiling. I've always thought it was a question of which direction gave me more fretboard to push/pull across!

Frankly, if you're hitting the right pitches with your bends, who gives a monkey's?
[/quote]

So much this.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1508277591' post='3391116']
I bend mine sideways
[/quote]
[quote name='charic' timestamp='1508402100' post='3391898']
I twist the string to change the pitch :ph34r:
[/quote]

Chuck Norris just tells mine to bend.

It really depends on what string you're coming from. It makes sense to bend the strings nearest the fretboard edge away from the edge, but for the other strings, the only thing you need to take into account is what string you're coming from, what string you'll be going to & the bend hits the right note.

For example, if you're playing the A string & want to bend a note on the D string, then it makes sense to bend the string away from the A string. Then if you're playing the G string & want to bend a note on the D string, it makes sense to bend the string towards the A string. Though this depends on where your next note is going to be.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1508251215' post='3390855']
Down on the E A D and up on the G.
[/quote]

I hadn't realised until now bit that's how I do it. I think it's just you're fingers naturally want to grip down the way but with the g there's just not enough neck to bend into, so I need to bend up the way. Certainly not been a conscious decision!