Why become a member? ×

Amp/Volume/Rehearsal conundrum

Pow_22

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ive recently joined a new band who have ‘out of hours’ access to a rehearsal space run by the singers friend. [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]Its an old converted loft type building so a flight of stairs to access our space.[/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]The band is a 5 piece with 2 x guitards, drummist and a singist.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]My current arsenal of ampage is an Ampeg V4Bh with a 410he cab for gigs (and used to rehearse in my last band) and a vintage Ampeg SB12 fliptop for home/recording. [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]The guitarist mentioned that they will be using 2 x 100w Blackstar combos and with a drummer I’m thinking I would need my big rig.[/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]However, lugging the 4x10 up a flight of stairs doesn’t enthral me and I know the SB12 wont have the beans.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ive asked about the possibility of renting a cab from the studio but they only have bass combos which I know will be the usual Ashdown/Trace rehearsal space stuff.[/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]I do feel that playing through a nice valve amp gets me the main part of my sound (a valve amp [/color][/size][i][size="3"][color="#000000"]just[/color][/size][/i][size="3"][color="#000000"] on the point of break-up, still fat and meaty) so I don’t really want to rent a generic solid state combo and spend the night battling to get my sound.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]The option the guitarist has mentioned is micing up the SB12 and sticking a bit through the PA. [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]Whilst not a loud band the SB12 will certainly need help.[/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]Having never mic’d a cab up before im wondering if its just as simple as setting my sound, sticking a mic in front of the speaker then setting the level on the board?[/color][/size][/font]

Yeah for rehearsal that's fine. Does your amp have a DI output? Or could you buy a DI box? Tube amps rely a lot on that meaty power amp break up as you've said so a speaker level DI like the Countryman Type 85 might be the ticket.

Or, you know, it's rehearsal. Stick a SM57 or a cheap kick drum mic on the cab and be done with it.

I just go through the PA in our rehersal studio with a valve preamp, I dont really care how it sounds for rehersals (although actually it sounds fine), I dont want to be lugging my rig (see below) every week, I leave that for gigs when I do care about the sound. Just to add the DHA VT-2 also has a 15DB boost switch which is more than enough for our 100w marshall 412 stack guitarist

Edited by skidder652003

I can't help thinking the easiest solution would be trying to get the level of the guitars and drums down.
Having to mic up for a [i]rehearsal [/i]does sound like hard work to me, and if it's that loud you're going to need
some ear protection too.
Sorry to sound negative, it's just I've been there with a big loud band and it's not conducive to rehearse that
loud, and it's certainly not a lot of fun either.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1508248929' post='3390822']
I can't help thinking the easiest solution would be trying to get the level of the guitars and drums down.
Having to mic up for a [i]rehearsal [/i]does sound like hard work to me, and if it's that loud you're going to need
some ear protection too.
Sorry to sound negative, it's just I've been there with a big loud band and it's not conducive to rehearse that
loud, and it's certainly not a lot of fun either.
[/quote]
I can't agree more!!! Who the heck rehearses at stupid volumes? (I've been there too!) You don't benefit in any way whatsoever. Whoever's singing is going to struggle and as just mentioned, there's the ears 100% to protect. Just say no, kids!

Other than actual gigs, my band only get together to learn new songs to add to the set but having our own sound at rehearsals isn't an issue.
For a long time we'd practice at our guitarist's house while his young kids were asleep upstairs so he'd play an acoustic, I plugged into a tiny 10w Hiwatt practice combo and the drummer would just tap the rhythm on his knees with his hands.
Good enough to get the arrangements down anyway.

If it's not a gigging band and you're just getting together to jam then that is your chance to enjoy using your hard earned gear obviously but if it's just preparing for the gigs where you get to make the most of your rig then I wouldn't worry overly about having your sound at a practice. As long as you can hear yourself okay to get your parts right then job done.

Your amp's good but ditch the cab. You can do much better than that. IMO the best solution would be to get a Barefaced Four10 or a Six10. You'll be able to run up the stairs carrying one, you'll crush those guitarists (if you so wish) and you'll sound much better whilst doing it.

I don't get the, "Don't play at high volume levels" advice. The OP joined them so he'll be playing at their level. However silly I or we think that is.

Just get some [i]good[/i] ear plugs.

Thanks for the replies people

I don't think its a volume thing to be honest, the SB12 is only 22 watts! I think micing it is the way to go.

Re:Barefaced - it is an option I tried with several other heads (orange, ashdown, marshall and ampeg) No denying the weight, it was just too much a sacrifice on tone for me

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1508234454' post='3390652']
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]However, lugging the 4x10 up a flight of stairs doesn’t enthral me and I know the SB12 wont have the beans.[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

I would just get a decent 2x10 or 2x12, the best ones have enough "beans" for pretty much any imaginable application.