Why become a member? ×

No love for bass anymore

kevvo66

If I dont play bass for a while it's usually cos I've temporarily lost interest in music, preferring to do other things. I can go for several weeks without music. Right now bass has taken a back seat to my newish Epiphone Sheraton. Anyway , dont think it;s all over and get rid. I've done that, much to my regret

I've got some nice gear and have gigged exstenstebly from the cavern club to local bars and have been out every weekend at one point my current band lovely bunch and great musicians, baritone that be a nice change, so anyone got one for sale give me a shout people thanks, much respect to you all

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1508187410' post='3390420']
Listen to music. Thats what I do.
[/quote]
This - there is a huge amount of music to discover and accessing it has never been easier, spend some time listening to unfamiliar music and find something new that excites you.

Also, if you have been spending a lot of time playing covers, involving yourself in a project that is purely creative can be very satisfying, whether it is contributing to writing/recording original songs or improvisational.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1508231572' post='3390622']

This - there is a huge amount of music to discover and accessing it has never been easier, spend some time listening to unfamiliar music and find something new that excites you.

Also, if you have been spending a lot of time playing covers, involving yourself in a project that is purely creative can be very satisfying, whether it is contributing to writing/recording original songs or improvisational.
[/quote]

Yeah, figure out what your connection to playing bass is, what do you want to do with it.

For me, for the past 50 years it means a lot of different things. However, all those things are driven by performance, gigging.

I also love all my basses and how they play. Good action, intonation, good looks, thin necks and lively strings.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1508189801' post='3390445']
Thanks people ,I'm just pondering I'm keeping my gear but a electric guitars in order , had dabble with my old acoustic tonight really enjoyed it ,as I started with acoustic when I was a kid and progressed to bass in my teens
[/quote]

Yes, that's what I'd do - keep my bass gear, and buy another musical instrument to have a dabble with
But there are some good suggestions on here too - play along with some of the songs that you were listening to as a kid - but just randomly search for songs / bands you've never heard of, and learn / play along with music you don't know. I'd add- is there a challenging bass line that you never got round to learning, but always wanted to learn? - Is now the time to take a break from playing your usual stuff, and do something else?

Maybe take a short break from bass - play that guitar. Get yourself a Ukulele and learn a few chords & songs - then pick up your bass again, and start playing music you haven't done before. I'm always jamming along to songs on Youtube, new and old......

Most of all - don't leave us for ever! ;) lol

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1508178935' post='3390315']
Well it's a sad day, but I need to admit it, I ain't feeling the love in fact it's boring me to tears, how hell do I get back on track before i do something stupid like go back to guitar help before it too late!
[/quote]

Kevo i felt same way to be honest and foolishly traded all my gear in for an Electronic Drum kit initially i thought great new challenge new start but i sat behind my kit one day and thought i miss my Bass
So today i have bought back my old Japanese Fender Jazz and also bought a cheapo Vintage Icon Fretless Jazz so hopefully happy days again
Just got to try sell or trade my Electronic Drums now...best of luck hope you get sorted....i took a drastic move to make me realise cheers Bob

Whats ur skill set?

This happened to me a few years ago when I realised that being unable to read music was seriously damaging my mojo. I'm still learning but understanding the dots has given my interest a whopping new lease of life so much so that I now find I cant go more than a few hours without playing something.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1508397743' post='3391863']
Thanks blue, I've started noodling with my acoustic bass and it sort of freshened my playing up not hiding behind effects pedals has made a difference
Cheers
Kev
[/quote]

I still fall into that habbit. I was practicing last night with effects.

It's really a bad habbit to fall into.

It's like performing with a safety net. Gives a false sense of your true ability.

Blue

Edited by blue

Depends if you are a musician or a bass player.
I started out on banjo and guitar then progressed to bass & have always played both, even if the bass IS my preferred gig.

As has been suggested, try doing some guitar or ulelele or whatever as well AND try playing different styles of music.
Its all about getting the creative juices going again.

OK then Kev...I challenge you to work your way through the thread below and not be re-inspired. Some amazing riffs which should invigorate your Bass vocabulary. I know that "Disco" sounds a bit cheesy but I promise you the basslines are wicked!!

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/281682-disco-faves/