Why become a member? ×

No love for bass anymore

kevvo66

Well it's a sad day, but I need to admit it, I ain't feeling the love in fact it's boring me to tears, how hell do I get back on track before i do something stupid like go back to guitar help before it too late!

Edited by kevvo66

Take time off and put your bass where you can't get to it. This means that you can't play on impulse which should help your desire to start playing again.

I started playing Saxophone for a while before realising that Bass was my true love..

DON'T sell up...you'll only regret it later when you have to pay twice what you sold your gear for..

I`ve found that learning songs from my very younger days - as in primary school age - makes me smile a lot. Of course the charts in the early 70s were a lot of fun anyway so that could be a lot to do with it, but it`s something to maybe think about. I`m unlikely to ever play those songs in a band context, but it takes me back to an age when life was very uncomplicated and happy, whilst doing something that I love in the present. Association I suppose, give it a shot, you never know.

Do you play in a band? If so, it might be time to have a change of songs & style.
If you don't play in a band, get a DAW & get using your instruments for their intended purposes & write some tunes. There's a monthly comp on here that could get your juices flowing. I try to enter a song every month.

I’ve been there some years ago. Completely lost interest in the bass for seven years. Kept all my gear though. Just stored it away out of harms way. Then suddenly out of the blue it came back more than ever. That was 16 years ago and still love the instrument.

I can only say let life take you where it wants to and don’t fight it. Keep the gear you feel you should and certainly don’t sell up completely. If it’s going to come back it only will when it wants to. You can’t force it.

I suppose it makes a difference if you have something to work towards. Are you just playing for your own amusement at home or do you play in public. I played for a short time in a large Christian music band. I stepped in when the original bass player left the area. I wasn't very good and just did what was necessary for each song. When the band ended I didn't touch the bass for nearly 10 years. I recently moved to a new church and was asked if I played an instrument and I mentioned the bass guitar. Suddenly I find I may be playing in the base on the odd Sunday so I'm back to plucking the strings. I decided to really get to grips with following chord charts, reading music and playing by ear. The challenge has given me renewed interest in the instrument and I'm enjoying playing again - not sure the congregation will share my enthusiasm!

I think you only get out what you put in. I don't put my bass in its case so I can pick it up anytime and spend a few minutes getting the fingers working. The bass is a great instrument but may be a bit limited on its own compared to a lead guitar. If you can set a target to work towards I'm sure that will help you get over your current malaise.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1508189801' post='3390445']
Thanks people ,I'm just pondering I'm keeping my gear but a electric guitars in order , had dabble with my old acoustic tonight really enjoyed it ,as I started with acoustic when I was a kid and progressed to bass in my teens
[/quote]

Why not try a Baritone / Bass VI and give that a whirl?

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1508186628' post='3390418']
The interest is in making music. Playing bass is just a means to that end. If you never pick up a bass again but that choice means you continue to enjoy making music in other ways - why worry.
[/quote]

Not sure how I would make music in other ways?

I'm a rock bar band bass player. It's all I know.

Blue

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1508178935' post='3390315']
Well it's a sad day, but I need to admit it, I ain't feeling the love in fact it's boring me to tears, how hell do I get back on track before i do something stupid like go back to guitar help before it too late!
[/quote]

Why did you start playing bass in the first place. Is playing bass something you love?

Blue

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1508189801' post='3390445']
Thanks people ,I'm just pondering I'm keeping my gear...
[/quote]

Gear is cheap, and fortunately decent gear is pretty cheap too these days. Why have stuff sitting around cluttering up your living space if you don't intend to use it?

Flog it and buy something you want/need. If you come back to bass in the future, setting yourself up again with decent gear won't cost all that much. Good luck whatever you decide! :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1508183447' post='3390370']
I`ve found that learning songs from my very younger days - as in primary school age - makes me smile a lot.
[/quote]

in a similar vein I was going to say learn some of your all time fave songs that you never played before.

Beatles Oh Darling, or Stone Roses...it can be anything, Bassically/NIB, or XTC Mayor of Simpleton., but it needs to be interesting and fun.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1508186628' post='3390418']
The interest is in making music. Playing bass is just a means to that end. If you never pick up a bass again but that choice means you continue to enjoy making music in other ways - why worry.
[/quote]
This, bass is all about making music with other people so follow where the music takes you. If it's bass that's good, if it is something else then so be it. Hang on to one bass and enough gear to be able to slip back in to bass if the need arises.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1508178935' post='3390315']
[/quote]
Been there too, done that.
I gave it a rest and then when I felt a curiosity, I made time to re-think what I really wanted from the instrument.
Boredom, for me, came from what I was playing not meeting the dream. So I took time to re-think the dream, find different music to play, and try to make changes to make it happen. For you this could mean a new band/project?