Why become a member? ×

Crazy Historical Amp Question!!!

TheG

One for the historians!

Ok so I vaguely remember reading somewhere that in the earlier part of the 1900's someone made an amp that had a hole in its top.
There was an electric upright bass and its end pin fitted in this hole so the bass stood up on its own and there was no need for a lead!

I can't find this repeated anywhere!

Did I just imagine this and make it up?

I haven't heard that one but this is a close as I cab get:

[i]In 1946, Everette Hull, an acomplished pianist and bass player, organized a partnership with Stanley Michaels under the name "Michaels-Hull Electronic Labs." Their mission was to produce a new microphone pickup that Hull designed. The pickup was fitted on the end of an upright bass and was dubbed the Amplified Peg or "Ampeg" for short. [/i]
[i]In 1949, Hull became the sole proprietor and changed the name of the company to the Ampeg Bassamp Company. [/i]

From the Ampeg website.

Hey Chris thanks very much for your reply.

I didn't mention that I thought I might be getting it mixed up with that Ampeg story on purpose. But as you have just mentioned it in your reply I think it might be wise to say I have made my story up in my head. I think it originated as your Ampeg story above and I have altered it in my mind over time.

Thanks a lot for clarifying that for me.

I seem to recall an early Rickenbaker that did this - very early on, late 1930’s. The upright bass sat on top of the amp case (think 5W gramophone!).

Edit - yep Rickenbaker Electro Bass Viol 1936

Google the above, and you’ll get some photos 😜

Edited by BassBod