Why become a member? ×

NBD - 50's Classic Precision

FinnDave

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1508233438' post='3390646']
I obviously have a much lower resistance than you, I only started thinking about them a week ago and now I'm playing one!
[/quote]

I'm looking out for a P-bass just now actually - well, maybe a month or two when funds are replenished! - and had been on the lookout for a Lakland 44-64 Black / Maple initially, but coincidentally I've only starting reading up about these 50's Classic P's this morning and then stumbled across your post...I'm liking what I'm reading / hearing about these...seems to be a decent 2nd hand price around £550 on the forum for recent sales...certainly getting tempted...

Edited by lou24d53

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1508246331' post='3390797']
I'm certainly very happy with mine, but I've only had it one day so the newness hasn't worn off yet! I haven't played it with a band yet either, that's the real test.
[/quote]

Do let us know how it performs live - be interested to hear how you get on.

It's amazing how much you can get swayed when you are bored at work, trying to kill the day and for the last couple of hours have been reading review after review and thread after thread on these basses...right now I'm wanting to dust off the credit card and do something impulsive and thoroughly reckless...!!

Must remain focussed........ :blink: :lol:

Edited by lou24d53

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1508250752' post='3390852']
Incidentally, what's the difference between the Classic 50's and the Classic 50's Lacquer...is it purely as simple as the paint finish...?
[/quote]

Yes, I think it's just the nitro finish.
Don't rule out the roadworns as well same breed but a little more select, if you don't mind the relicing :)

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1508250752' post='3390852']
Incidentally, what's the difference between the Classic 50's and the Classic 50's Lacquer...is it purely as simple as the paint finish...?
[/quote]

As far as i know, that's it - and the lacquer is only available in black. If they'd done a sunburst lacquer I'd have had it, as I already have a sunburst lacquer classic 60s Jazz.

[quote name='afterimage' timestamp='1508363476' post='3391768']
Looks lovely what a great buy these guitars are now to the American Fenders enjoy
[/quote]

I'm taking the Classic Precision and a US Standard P to tonight's gig, so I can compare them back to back. Probably do one set on each.

Well, gigged the 50s Classic tonight (in Oxford). I had a US Standard with me as well...but I never got to compare them as I couldn't put the classic down! Lovely rich deep sound, and a joy to play. The wider neck makes it necessary to think a bit more about what I'm doing, which is a good thing.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1508471826' post='3392404']
Re the scratchplate. My own view is that tort works best on a 3 tone sunburst where you have some red in the colour of the bass to work with the red of the tort. I am possibly the world's biggest sunburst tort fan but I will be keeping the gold plate.
[/quote]

I have to agree, Steve - I held a tort plate against it (not one that would fit, just to get an impression of the colour) and it didn't look right, so I think you are right about the lack of red. The anodised plate is growing on me, as well, and attracted favourable comments from other members of the band when they first saw the bass last night.

Was hoping it was going to be positive feedback...! :)

I'm taking a wee trip into Glasgow later to meet a mate for a few beers after work, so I'm planning on popping into Guitar Guitar first to see if they have any in stock to give them a wee try......it says awaiting stock on the website, but still, any excuse to visit.........initially I was looking at the black / maple but now I am being drawn to the sunburst more......and I've never (ever!) owned a sunburst bass in my 25+ years of playing...!!! :o

As one who has mainly played and owned Jazzes over the years, my only concern is the thickness and width of the neck......

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1508487939' post='3392476']
As one who has mainly played and owned Jazzes over the years, my only concern is the thickness and width of the neck......
[/quote]

The difference between this neck and a standard Precision is about the same as the difference between a standard Precision and a Jazz...

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1508488106' post='3392482']
You may end up hailing a taxi to get from one side to the other!!
[/quote]

I'm in luck - one of the last remaining bus routes in Oxfordshire has stops at the E and G strings on my bass!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1508603252' post='3393273']
These are great basses. You really can't beat a 7.25" radius, 1.75" nut, one-piece maple neck. Feels like home to me. Very nice. I must get another...
[/quote]

Before I got this I was worried that the radius might be too weird for me but I don't actually think about it when playing at all, I just concentrate on playing and it's totally fine and comfortable. My other bass is 16" so it's as different as it can be but both are nice :)

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1508603394' post='3393276']
Before I got this I was worried that the radius might be too weird for me but I don't actually think about it when playing at all, I just concentrate on playing and it's totally fine and comfortable. My other bass is 16" so it's as different as it can be but both are nice :)
[/quote]

That's interesting, I'm not sure I'd be happy about 16" radius! Not comfortable with 9.5" radius! Maybe it's my wrinkled, claw-like hands...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1508603252' post='3393273']
These are great basses. You really can't beat a 7.25" radius, 1.75" nut, one-piece maple neck. Feels like home to me. Very nice. I must get another...
[/quote]

The only trouble is that it makes playing my Jazz basses (& Thunderbirds) feel like driving in London after the empty roads of west Oxfordshire!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1508610739' post='3393352']
The only trouble is that it makes playing my Jazz basses (& Thunderbirds) feel like driving in London after the empty roads of west Oxfordshire!
[/quote]

Living in London as I do, a 1.75" nut width P neck is about the only place you can stretch out and have a bit of room to yourself...

And even a little undisturbed nap in the afternoon if you're lucky.