Why become a member? ×

NBD - 50's Classic Precision

FinnDave

Went for a drive and ended up in a music shop (no surprise there!) and came home with a new 50s Classic Precision. I do like the same 7 1/2 radius fingerboard as on my classic Jazz, so hopefully the wider-than-a-standard-Precision neck won't be a problem...

Interesting drive home (an hour or so) under darkening and strangely coloured skies. I stopped at my local guitar tech's place on the way home, he likes the new Fender, and I collected the EB-4 he's been setting up for me. So I discovered that two basses in gig bags fit easily into the passenger area of my MX5!

All I've had time to do since getting home is change the strings from the factory rounds to a set of chromes. I'll plug it in and play it this evening, and gig it on Thursday.

Assuming this one's a keeper, there'll be a US Standard Precision on the market soon...

Obligatory pic:
[attachment=255702:IMG_1056.jpg]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1508170174' post='3390225']
Nice one Dave, they are very nice basses. I found them to have a real aggressive snap to the sound - if wanted of course - in comparison to the US Standards. One of those "easy to dial out, not so easy to dial in" sort of things.
[/quote]

I look forward to discovering what it can really do when I get back from my standing appointment down the local!

BTW, you've got a tort Precision scratch plate listed for sale in your sig - could be interested, can't decide when the gold finished aluminium plate suits the new bass or not.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1508166649' post='3390193']
Went for a drive and ended up in a music shop (no surprise there!) and came home with a new 50s Classic Precision. I do like the same 7 1/2 radius fingerboard as on my classic Jazz, so hopefully the wider-than-a-standard-Precision neck won't be a problem...

Interesting drive home (an hour or so) under darkening and strangely coloured skies. I stopped at my local guitar tech's place on the way home, he likes the new Fender, and I collected the EB-4 he's been setting up for me. So I discovered that two basses in gig bags fit easily into the passenger area of my MX5!

All I've had time to do since getting home is change the strings from the factory rounds to a set of chromes. I'll plug it in and play it this evening, and gig it on Thursday.

Assuming this one's a keeper, there'll be a US Standard Precision on the market soon...

Obligatory pic:
[attachment=255702:IMG_1056.jpg]
[/quote]

Nice!

I have one of those in fiesta red (actually on my avatar right now, I just replaced the golden pickguard for something less cold to the touch ;)) I love the wide neck. It feels very comfortable to me, and it sounds great too.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1508183669' post='3390374']
Nice!

I have one of those in fiesta red (actually on my avatar right now, I just replaced the golden pickguard for something less cold to the touch ;)) I love the wide neck. It feels very comfortable to me, and it sounds great too.
[/quote]

Just been playing it for the last 45 mins or so, sounds and feels great, love the wide neck.

Just held a standard Precision pick guard up to it and there are more holes than the metal one currently fitted, so I'm curious to know what you are using instead. I think it would look great with a tort guard myself.

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='jonnybass' timestamp='1508185914' post='3390408']
Nice bass. Nothing feels like a p bass
[/quote]

I have to agree, I have a couple of US standards that are very satisfying to play, but this is somehow more P bass than they are - I put it down to the wider neck, making note choices more deliberate. I'm going to enjoy this one!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1508185154' post='3390392']
Just been playing it for the last 45 mins or so, sounds and feels great, love the wide neck.

Just held a standard Precision pick guard up to it and there are more holes than the metal one currently fitted, so I'm curious to know what you are using instead. I think it would look great with a tort guard myself.
[/quote]

I just ended up drilling extra holes as I could not find a perfect fitting pickguard.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1508179731' post='3390326']
Light? If I want light, I play the EB4, I think that's made from wooden helium. I have to wear the strap wound my feel to stop it floating away!

The 50s classic is lighter than my other Precisions, though, definitely.
[/quote]

I was surprised at how light the body of this bass is too. Wasn't expecting that.

Re: the pickguard, I hate the gold and replaced mine with white (honey blonde body). Tort on sunburst is a classic but be sure you like it with a maple neck; I feel a rosewood neck is what the tort pickguard really needs

I think I'll stick with the standard scratch plate for now, I nearly didn't bother going to look at one because it looks bad in the pictures but was immediately swayed when I saw it in the flesh, the gold didn't look too bad, and I'm also a little unsure of tort and maple - the two basses I've got with tort plates both have rosewood 'boards.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1508219522' post='3390510']
I think I'll stick with the standard scratch plate for now, I nearly didn't bother going to look at one because it looks bad in the pictures but was immediately swayed when I saw it in the flesh, the gold didn't look too bad,
[/quote]

I think there is something about the gold scratchplates. they very rarely look good in photos but look much better in the flesh.

[quote name='Pea Turgh' timestamp='1508230441' post='3390600']
100% agree - I love mine, but I cannot get a picture of it the way I see it!
[/quote]

My bass is on my lap while I type this before playing some more, the 'plate looks much a warmer colour in the real world than any picture I've seen of these basses. Less than 24 hours of ownership and I'm already starting to really like the colour. As for the bass....perfect!

Mostly play blues in its many forms, one band is more rock oriented (though it was pure blues when it started) and another is more jazzy - this bass won't suit everything I do, but I have others! This one is very comfortable to play, though.