Why become a member? ×

offered festival slot, politely declined, whatcha think?

skidder652003

Hi Steve, I'd probably walk away too in the end but I'd do some checks first. This place is within your stomping ground just, so it isn't far to go and some of the audience might be local. Having heard your band this sort of event is where you'd be ideal, you have a big sound and that sort of stage presence. For example I'd do the Axminster festival for free if the chance came up. five miles from my house, 2,000 plus people mainly locals, and I know where the profits go.

I'd also challenge them a little, point out that you're a well established band with a full list of bookings so don't need their exposure. Don't do the warm up slot, ask if you can do a later slot and maybe say you'll do it for free but need expenses and then name your price, which needn't be much/any less than what you'd charge a small pub for example. I'd also check what attendance was like last year, no point if it's going to be no better than a busy pub. Are the other two up for this?

In the end you get a feel for what is actually going on, it might well be someone chiselling away for a freebie or it may be genuine. The question is will it be fun and are you getting enough out of it to make it worth your while

Edited by Phil Starr

I used to play a bunch of these weekender type gigs ariound thge country in the 90s and up to around 2005. Always got paid and always got some food and basic accommodation. In the case of Isle of Wight gigs the cost of ferrying the van across was alaso covered, although I understand this has stopped now after huge increases in ferry tickets.

I wouldnt even have bothered responding in the first place. Total chancers.

I did a gig earlier in the year.

My band played, then another two other bands played, (David Cross, from King Crimson 0 then Ray Wilson) then ARW played.
ARW are Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman. They now go out as YES.

There would have been around 5,000 there.

What's the least you'd have played our slot at such a festival for ?

Or if I might ask that another way.

If we'd pulled out with a week to go, and you were offered the slot, for zero fee, how many of you would have taken it ?

All I'm saying is, the pay or reward doesn't always come in the form of money.

(We consider ourselves massively fortunate to have had the opportunity, so please don't misunderstand me).

I'm well aware that this is different to the original post, but I'm talking about the circumstances in which the actual cash fee kinda doesn't matter any more.

We've done a few 'charity' gigs over the last few years, in one case, the person running it absconded with the dosh (obviously someone who believes that charity begins at home!) and in no case ever have further, paid, bookings resulted. I also believe that you get treated according to what you're worth to the organisers - if you're playing for free, they can treat you like dirt as they have nothing to lose.

I removed my gear from the stage and walked away from one 'charity' gig (followed by the rest of the band) when they allowed the band on before us to continue to the point that we would have had about a ten minute set. I am certain they wouldn't have treated us like that if we were costing them money. They'd kept us (and our dep drummer who was doing us a huge favour) waiting for 3 or 4 hours before that.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1508516942' post='3392742']
I did a gig earlier in the year.

My band played, then another two other bands played, (David Cross, from King Crimson 0 then Ray Wilson) then ARW played.
ARW are Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman. They now go out as YES.

There would have been around 5,000 there.

What's the least you'd have played our slot at such a festival for ?

Or if I might ask that another way.

If we'd pulled out with a week to go, and you were offered the slot, for zero fee, how many of you would have taken it ?

All I'm saying is, the pay or reward doesn't always come in the form of money.

(We consider ourselves massively fortunate to have had the opportunity, so please don't misunderstand me).

I'm well aware that this is different to the original post, but I'm talking about the circumstances in which the actual cash fee kinda doesn't matter any more.
[/quote]

Being on the same bill as Yes is a different matter. I'd have happily done that one for free - free gig with backstage pass init?! :D

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1508573950' post='3392982']

Suitably corrected, I'd only read the FB page for the event, where I could find no mention of charity.
[/quote]

It's actually at the top of their big logo thing as "Devons biggest charity festival".

No idea where it goes or how how much money is involved.

Playing at the Ilfacombe Punk Weekender at this venue two years ago led directly to us playing on the main stage at Butlins Skegness Punk Weekender a couple of weeks ago. Where we played to probably 1000 people, and managed to sell a good bit of merch. The Butlins gig was a paid gig, so with our fee from that and merch sales we`ve managed to pay for our hotels for next years Rebellion Festival in Blackpool - all money from gigs/merch goes back into the band, we never take any for ourselves. So doing these types of gigs can really work for you long-term. Of course they don`t always pan out so good, but if you don`t give it a go one things for sure, payment and opportunities will certainly not come your way.

I think transparency is required from organisers when asking folk to provide services for free. Things should be done in an open and honest way.

I'm more skeptical nowadays regarding charities and try to choose who I support. Plenty of evidence in the news and on the web about malpractice and sky high salaries/perks for charity board members and managers.

I've done a fair few free small/local shows but I've known where the money went and usually knew the organisers personally. As has been said above, it's up to individual to choose but my advice would be to ask the right questions beforehand.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1508517596' post='3392748']
I removed my gear from the stage and walked away from one 'charity' gig (followed by the rest of the band) when they allowed the band on before us to continue to the point that we would have had about a ten minute set. I am certain they wouldn't have treated us like that if we were costing them money. They'd kept us (and our dep drummer who was doing us a huge favour) waiting for 3 or 4 hours before that.
[/quote]
Slight thread hijack -- similar thing happened to us at an outdoor gig in Gloucester. The guy on before us, Sherman Robertson, overran his slot of dreary blues to the extent that our set was about 25 minutes in the end. He knew he was eating into our time but didn't give a toss. It still makes me cross when I think about it.
Sorry. As you were. :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1508581522' post='3393058']
Of course they don`t always pan out so good, but if you don`t give it a go one things for sure, payment and opportunities will certainly not come your way.
[/quote]

I disagree, I've had many many more paying gigs off the back of other paying gigs, I've only had offers of more free gigs off the back of free gigs.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1508572413' post='3392974']
Being on the same bill as Yes is a different matter. I'd have happily done that one for free - free gig with backstage pass init?! :D
[/quote]

Backstage pass, fed all day, backline rider, experience of a lifetime.

My rig was an SVT classic, as is the standard for these things.
Backstage, there was a spare SVT - identical to the one on stage, just in case.

And had the unimaginable happened and the spare had broken down, there was a third identical SVT classic stack.

Just in case...

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1508599924' post='3393232']
Backstage pass, fed all day, backline rider, experience of a lifetime.

My rig was an SVT classic, as is the standard for these things.
Backstage, there was a spare SVT - identical to the one on stage, just in case.

And had the unimaginable happened and the spare had broken down, there was a third identical SVT classic stack.

Just in case...
[/quote]

and then you went and broke a string and you neither had strings or a backup bass... :P

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1510160017' post='3404382']
just read the Ilfacombe festival has been cancelled
[/quote]

Yeah, bit of a swine that, was looking forward to a 3 gig weekend, now down to just the two (and having to try and convince the hotel to do a swap on bookings as - yet again - we stoopidly went for the cheaper no refund option).

We played a couple of years ago and The Buzzcocks, Anti Nowhere League and a few other bigger bands were on. It`s been cancelled due to works at the camp having been brought forward apparently. I feel really sorry for the promoters, from what I understand they`ve been trying to move it to other suitable venues but struggled, so now got the unenviable task of refunds. They`re decent people, helped us a good bit, shame this has happened.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1508584625' post='3393085']
The guy on before us, Sherman Robertson, overran his slot of dreary blues to the extent that our set was about 25 minutes in the end.
[/quote]

Having to play some dreary blues in our set, are you *sure* he overrun and it didn't just feel like it? :D