Why become a member? ×

offered festival slot, politely declined, whatcha think?

skidder652003

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1508230503' post='3390602']
It doesn't sound like its the first time they have done this so maybe it will work out ok for the charity itself, if not for the bands. I guess if those bands booked arent getting paid then that's their choice. They get a gig out of it and possibly a good weekend away. Best not let Blue see this :-)[/quote]

I've played several unpaid cancer benefits this year. All were well organized and completely on the up and up. I was happy to be a part of all of them.

For those of us that have been around for a while know that all charities and benefits events are not on the up and up and take advantage of naive bands. Those type of events I have no use for.

Now there are bands that are cool with being used and taken advantage of, That's their call and I'm cool with that.

Blue

Edited by blue

If a band is looking for exposure, is this festival a good thing to do?

I ask because on a typical day, you're on with 8 other acts. Surely, you would have to stand out as being very different if you're to get noticed?

Maybe it's easier to be different if you're playing originals, but if most bands are playing covers, are you not going to get lost in a blur of covers all day?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1508311165' post='3391185']
If a band is looking for exposure, is this festival a good thing to do?[/quote]

Depends, guess it depends on the nature of the festival. How much exposure do you get with 5:45pm slot?

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1508326167' post='3391354']
Indeed, from one of the food vendors supplying their services for free too?
[/quote]

Isn't this jealousy, though..? What difference would it make if the band fee was huge, and the vendor giving stuff away..? Looking after your own affairs I can understand, but looking around to see how others have chosen to do things I find very odd. Just me as usual, I suppose. :blush:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1508347108' post='3391582']

Isn't this jealousy, though..? What difference would it make if the band fee was huge, and the vendor giving stuff away..? Looking after your own affairs I can understand, but looking around to see how others have chosen to do things I find very odd. Just me as usual, I suppose. :blush:[/quote]

The issue is more about how musicians and bands can get the short end of the stick when it comes to poorly run, poorly organized charities and benefits

Not so much looking around to see how others have chosen to do things, more like an overall awareness of how the event is managed.

And in this case the band was asked to perform unpaid.

I'll give you this, at least the band was offered free lodging

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1508357926' post='3391710']
The issue is more about how musicians and bands can get the short end of the stick...
[/quote]

You get the conditions for the gig and choose to do it or not. What others get as conditions and choose to accept or not is irrelevant, unless jealous. At a party, someone gets a slice of cake; you get none. Important to you or not..? :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1508358285' post='3391714']

You get the conditions for the gig and choose to do it or not. What others get as conditions and choose to accept or not is irrelevant, unless jealous. At a party, someone gets a slice of cake; you get none. Important to you or not..? :mellow:
[/quote]

True, I guess my beef is not so much with what is chose or accepted. I'm concerned with unscrupulous offerings from shady charity event organizers

Like I said some bands are cool with being taken advantaged of. That's their choice and I'm cool with that.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1508347108' post='3391582']

Isn't this jealousy, though..? What difference would it make if the band fee was huge, and the vendor giving stuff away..? Looking after your own affairs I can understand, but looking around to see how others have chosen to do things I find very odd. Just me as usual, I suppose. :blush:
[/quote]

Not jealousy, sarcasm.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1508396619' post='3391856']
I've asked three times in this thread what the supported charity (ies) are at this festival and looked on the website to no avail.
[/quote]

It doesn't appear to be a charity event at all, the ones being charitable are the bands playing for nowt.

The op said the email from the organisers mentioned being let down by a sponsor, hence the request to play for free. If you look at the FB page for the event this shortfall has been covered by promo from the holiday park hosting the event, and ticket sales.

I don't work for free either. Good call op.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1508413713' post='3392004']
It says "for various charities" on the official website, I've read it.
[/quote]

Interesting one this. In 2015 and 2016 the festival was explicitly in support of H4H and NABD (New Amp and Bass Day??)

https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/news/2015/november/ilfracombe-rocks/

However, this years festival doesn't explicitly state that but still has those charities listed on its links page. If you go to the ticket page, you can make a voluntary donation to NABD, and last year it seems you could do this with NABD and H4H.

The festival says it is not for profit but that's easy isn't it, no event makes a profit once you paid all the businesses that support it and the event management company!

I couldn't find any PR releases saying what the Festival had raised for these charities, which seems odd - surely it would be good publicity for the event to advertise that. I think for the charities involved they'll get something for nothing which is good, but it does smack a little bit of using the charity tag line as a way of generating free publicity (and therefore profits) and also in this case as a justification for procuring free services and sponsorship from business and bands. Hopefully these suspicions are unfounded and this is a great money spinner for the charities involved.

Given the lack of charity information on the website (ie no endorsements, registration numbers etc), it may just be that the only donations are those taken voluntarily by adding them to the ticket bill or by the charities themselves directly at the event.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1508428352' post='3392146']

Me

Blue
[/quote]

It was a humorous quip following Dad's post about the sharing of cake Blue. Only quoting half of my post is kind of pointless.
Nevermind.

Although that being said, if anyone wants to take a gig of this nature and gets something good out of it, be that money, the warm feeling of happiness, a weekend away with the family, etc, the it's really none of my business anyway.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1508431287' post='3392180']

Although that being said, if anyone wants to take a gig of this nature and gets something good out of it, be that money, the warm feeling of happiness, a weekend away with the family, etc, the it's really none of my business anyway.
[/quote]

Agreed, however I am concerned about young bands being taken advantage of which was my point.

Blue