Why become a member? ×

70s Fender P in Antigua - £400

Located in Thurso up the top end of Scotland. Seems to be a case of he doesn’t know what he has. I’ve messaged him to tell him what it’s really worth:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/fender-bass-electric-guitar/1270827090?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1508094097' post='3389710']
Located in Thurso up the top end of Scotland. Seems to be a case of he doesn't know what he has. I've messaged him to tell him what it's really worth:

[url="https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/fender-bass-electric-guitar/1270827090?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms"]https://www.gumtree....&utm_source=sms[/url]
[/quote]
Yup, good deal.

Why would you tell him what it's really worth? Is it a case of being nice? Or is it a case of ''I am not able to get it, so nobody else will''?

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1508095707' post='3389729']
Yup, good deal.

Why would you tell him what it's really worth? Is it a case of being nice? Or is it a case of ''I am not able to get it, so nobody else will''?
[/quote]I would tell him even if i was about to buy it as i'd feel guilty otherwise.

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1508095982' post='3389733']
I would tell him even if i was about to buy it as i'd feel guilty otherwise.
[/quote]
Yes, I understand - It's like a third of a price, isn't it? I am just curious about the OP as it seemed quite automatic :-) And that makes me wonder how many ''good samaritans'' are on Gumtree and if it's a good way of checking how much something is ''worth''.

Edited by PawelG

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1508095707' post='3389729']

Yup, good deal.

[/quote]

It seems he’s selling it on behalf of his father, and I don’t like the idea of a possibly sentimental item being undersold by around a grand because the seller doesn’t know it’s true value.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1508096151' post='3389736']
It seems he's selling it on behalf of his father, and I don't like the idea of a possibly sentimental item being undersold by around a grand because the seller doesn't know it's true value.
[/quote]
I see.

I think he would be happy to let it go for 500-600 anyway.

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1508096544' post='3389744']
So is it definitely a 78 usa ? [according to the serial number anyway] or can you get Mexican and Japanese with the same numbers ?
[/quote]
It looks like an original. I might be wrong but I don't recall any Mexican or Japanese basses wearing Antigua color.

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1508097665' post='3389763']
There were MiM Antigua p's a few years ago but the serial number on this seems to indicate this is a u.s.a 78
i just wondered how reliable the numbers are ?
[/quote]

The Mexican FSRs had a plug at the headstock for the truss rod, and this one doesn’t, so seems legit.

Edit: the Mexicans also had a maple fingerboard.

Edited by Jono Bolton

The seller hasn’t replied, but there’s someone in the Central belt who has a habit of picking up cheap basses on gumtree and selling them on eBay. He’s lowballed me a few times on items I’ve been selling, and recently picked up a Squier James Johnston Jazz for £200, which he flipped for £300, advertising it as having owned it from new. I can only imagine his delight if he sees this.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1508101242' post='3389799']
The seller hasn't replied, but there's someone in the Central belt who has a habit of picking up cheap basses on gumtree and selling them on eBay. He's lowballed me a few times on items I've been selling, and recently picked up a Squier James Johnston Jazz for £200, which he flipped for £300, advertising it as having owned it from new. I can only imagine his delight if he sees this.
[/quote]
I sometimes get a good deal too, but not as good as this :-)
Mind you - my uncle picked up a 1974 Matamp GT100 for about £120 at a car boot sale somewhere. He didn't realize what it was until later...

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1508108080' post='3389851']
Yep, just found the same pictures on an eBay listing.

Honestly, some people...
[/quote]

His pics are always ripped from ebay, easy to spot with a quick google check. Story is always 'dead relative left me this, I don't know what it is '.

Just a question on ethics here;

Is it really so wrong to scour the pages of gumtree or shpock until you find something being under sold and then to maybe ebay it some time later?

I say good on you to those with eagle eyes and willingness to travel to source a bargain..............

[quote name='vinorange' timestamp='1508229250' post='3390585']
Just a question on ethics here;

Is it really so wrong to scour the pages of gumtree or shpock until you find something being under sold and then to maybe ebay it some time later?

I say good on you to those with eagle eyes and willingness to travel to source a bargain..............
[/quote]
99% of the time if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is. And that’s a waste of time. If you’re willing to sacrifice that for a good deal once in a while - I can’t see anything wrong with buying stuff for a steal. If you’re doing in purely for profit, then its your call. It’s not illegal, is it?

Definitely not illegal! It's simply called business. Everything you buy from everywhere you buy it is providing a profit to the seller so why take particular offense to someone who buys and sells? I have bought many a guitar from private sellers, spent a little time tidying them up and then re-sold for a small profit. I enjoy the chase and doing the work, it's a hobby that allows me to try out many guitars/basses and make a small amount of pocket money doing so, and if there are particularly nice ones, they might end up in my collection!

If a seller on eBay doesn't put in the effort to take decent photos, create a decent description and doesn't even dust the guitar then they can't expect it to sell for a premium, if I buy it and take the time to clean, repair, dust it etc. then take the time to take good photos and create a good description then it will sell for a better price!

I don't think it's the buyers responsibility to ensure the seller gets top price, otherwise we would never negotiate on car prices, house prices etc. Business is business. If it's a clear and obvious case that the seller REALLY doesn't know what they are selling then it's fair enough to inform them.

Edited by binky_bass

You're very unlikely to find a genuine 'naive person doesn't know what he has' bargain on gumtree, it's wishful thinking and it usually leads to a scam. If you have the technical ability to post an ad on gumtree, you will also have the ability to google what your item is worth before posting it. Nobody with access to the web is that naive anymore.

Which isn't to say good deals can't be found on gumtree - people moving away usually have to sell stuff in a hurry for example - but they won't be the result of ignorance or naivety, those days are gone.