Why become a member? ×

How To Pick New Material

blue

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1508261827' post='3390979']
Its the duty of the young to come up with the originals, and to push music to new places. Its the duty of old guys like me to play covers in a pub band cos thats what I now enjoy. When I was young I was in originals bands, its the way of the world.
[/quote]

I'm glad I haven't "grown up" then ;-)

Its the duty of the young to come up with the originals, and to push music to new places. Its the duty of old guys like me to play covers in a pub band cos thats what I now enjoy. When I was young I was in originals bands, its the way of the world.[/quote]

For those who follow my threads know there's no bigger Stones or McCartney fan than me.

I have no interest in new material from The Stones or McCartney. I haven't finished studying all the aspects of the brilliant material they wrote when they were young men.

Blue

Edited by blue

Its the duty of the young to come up with the originals, and to push music to new places. Its the duty of old guys like me to play covers in a pub band cos thats what I now enjoy. When I was young I was in originals bands, its the way of the world.
[/quote]

The problem is that an originals band has no real purpose if the members are weekend warriors. Yes, you can make an EP or even an album but unless you are going to commit to the publicizing/touring you will sell diddly squat.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1508311652' post='3391191']
The problem is that an originals band has no real purpose if the members are weekend warriors. Yes, you can make an EP or even an album but unless you are going to commit to the publicizing/touring you will sell diddly squat.
[/quote]

Actually so long as one or more members is taking care of the non-musical sides of the band during the week, an originals band is perfectly OK being "weekend warriors" as that is when all the decent gigs are on. From experience unless your band is capable of filling a 200+ size venue anywhere in the country (or is on tour with a band who is) there is absolutely no point in playing other than at the weekend. Perhaps Thursday and Sunday can be considered given the right venue and other acts on the bill, but the rest of the week forget it.

What originals bands do need to do is promote the hell out of themselves at every opportunity and be prepared to travel to get the worthwhile gigs and realise that there is more to being in a band than a ability to play the songs they have written. If you can't put on an entertaining and memorable performance at the same time, then there is little point unless you are doing it simply as a hobby for your own musical satisfaction (although that last point also applies to covers bands).

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1508250525' post='3390849']
Just had a listen to White Rabbit and find it hard to see that go down well especially as a closing song. Afraid its not my cup of tea Blue.

Dave
[/quote]

We play this from time to time, it never goes down badly and sometimes it's a stormer, people of a certain age often and dancers sometimes love the rhythm. Other times it's just a song no-one remembers and is a bit weird if it's the first time you've heard it. Probably a much bigger song in the States. It's a fun bass line too.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1508312844' post='3391199']
Actually so long as one or more members is taking care of the non-musical sides of the band during the week, an originals band is perfectly OK being "weekend warriors" as that is when all the decent gigs are on. From experience unless your band is capable of filling a 200+ size venue anywhere in the country (or is on tour with a band who is) there is absolutely no point in playing other than at the weekend. Perhaps Thursday and Sunday can be considered given the right venue and other acts on the bill, but the rest of the week forget it.

What originals bands do need to do is promote the hell out of themselves at every opportunity and be prepared to travel to get the worthwhile gigs and realise that there is more to being in a band than a ability to play the songs they have written. If you can't put on an entertaining and memorable performance at the same time, then there is little point unless you are doing it simply as a hobby for your own musical satisfaction (although that last point also applies to covers bands).
[/quote]you're absolutely right, which is why, in general it's a young mans game, they have the energy and lack of other commitments to travel all over the country sleeping on floors and in the back of vans to try to get there music out there and even after doing that for a few years the success rate is very low

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1508312844' post='3391199']

[/quote]

Agreed,

Even though I'm not real well versed in the originals scene in any specific part of the UK. However it seems like the local originals scene here in my neck of the woods is weak. You really need to travel.

Blue

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1508314393' post='3391220']

We play this from time to time, it never goes down badly and sometimes it's a stormer, people of a certain age often and dancers sometimes love the rhythm. Other times it's just a song no-one remembers and is a bit weird if it's the first time you've heard it. Probably a much bigger song in the States. It's a fun bass line too.
[/quote]

Surely a hit for us with the 60 plus patrons but a surprisingly good number of the younger folks seem to know this song.

Your probably right about the song being bigger in the States.

Blue

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1508314543' post='3391221']
you're absolutely right, which is why, in general it's a young mans game, they have the energy and lack of other commitments to travel all over the country sleeping on floors and in the back of vans to try to get there music out there and even after doing that for a few years the success rate is very low
[/quote]

As it has always been. No one ever said it would be easy.

[quote name='super al' timestamp='1508114765' post='3389877']
Not complaining though, part of the fun is learning new tunes.
[/quote]

Wait till you've played that fun new tune 300 times...there are songs I used to love that I've suggested & played to death now & would never listen to by choice these days :mellow:

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1508156718' post='3390097']
You still have some pretty unique covers though to be fair. (I wont name them incase you don't want me to :lol: )
And a lot of the covers you do, have a unique arrangement. So there are ways around making the standard affairs at least a bit more interesting to play
[/quote]

Cheers Kert, this is true & modifying tunes can ease the grind. It can go too far tho...we thought our EWF September/Let's Groove medley with fusion ending was the best thing since sliced bread but talk about stopping people dancing in their tracks...it was with great reluctance that we shelved it & stripped it back to just September :lol:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1508314768' post='3391225']
Agreed,

Even though I'm not real well versed in the originals scene in any specific part of the UK. However it seems like the local originals scene here in my neck of the woods is weak. You really need to travel.

Blue
[/quote]

IME it's got nothing to do with your local music scene being weak, It's all about reaching your audience. These days for originals bands the performance is the product and not something to promote the recording (a complete reverse to the way it was from the 1950s to the turn of the century). Even if you are based somewhere which is teaming with music venues for originals bands, if you want to develop eventually you will have to get out an travel to increase your audience.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1508326016' post='3391352']

IME it's got nothing to do with your local music scene being weak, [/quote]

When I go to one if our 5 originals clubs the bands are always playing to a handful of people. Maybe I should have said the originals club scene is weak.

Blue