Why become a member? ×

Show us yer fretlesses!

Rich

On 3/18/2018 at 04:04, Hellzero said:

My homemade 6 strings fretless with the extraordinary Q-Tuner pickups first generation coupled to the very musical and transparent Musician Sound Design 3 bands preamp. 3 pieces flamed maple neck with black Gabon ebony fretboard bolt on a 2 pieces basswood body with bookmatched spalted walnut top.

Byl was my nickname when I was young.

It's now fretted and fitted with an aluminum Hipshot 18 mm strings spacing bridge instead of the brass Hipshot 19 mm strings spacing one.

A shame about those frets, but a really nice job in any case. Here's my Crescent Moon fretless, which also has Q-Tuner BL series pickups, and currently has a 3-band preamp of my own design in it:

CMB_2015.JPG

That's a one piece sapele body, neck-through maple neck (inset to body from back), and an ebony board.

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 2

In fact it's spelt:  上原 ひろみ   and you can transliterate as you please :¬) :¬) :-)  But yes indeed, that one; small Japanese women with big hair and ridiculously nimble hands.

But anyway WHAT AN INSTRUMENT.  Not sure I'd want one myself as 35k would buy a VERY nice double bass indeed and you do get more wood for your money.  I'm guessing 5k for the bass, 15k for the AJ endorsement and 15k for the Fodera badge.  Does seem a little pricey.

However, it does sound like nothing else and does things neither an electric or a double bass would do; and I love the way Jackson sits there with his gob open, eyes half shut and his head lolling about like he's about to pass out .. whilst sublime liquid bass-lines flow out of his fingers.  She could dump Simon Phillips for Chad Wackerman or Vinnie Colaiuta tho IMHO - he does drown out the bass playing somewhat!

Edited by NickA
rewrite

• 3 weeks later...