Why become a member? ×

Show us yer fretlesses!

Rich

24 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

@Grangur Hum, I think we are not talking about the same wood (balsa) and hardness along with softness are the correct words to describe one of the wood characteristics as this is one way to summarise them by botanists : http://www.wood-database.com/balsa/

Dear Sir, we speak of the very same. It is the soft-squidgey wood you can stick you finger nail into and make toy gliders from. Balsa is a Hardwood.

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwood

But the wood we need for the fingerboard of a fretless does need to be resilient to scratches and so hard in its character.

Edited by Grangur

1 hour ago, Grangur said:

Dear Sir, we speak of the very same. It is the soft-squidgey wood you can stick you finger nail into and make toy gliders from. Balsa is a Hardwood.

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwood

But the wood we need for the fingerboard of a fretless does need to be resilient to scratches and so hard in its character.

Ok, I now understand what you meant. The problem is again classification which by French speaking or Latin originated languages is divided in four groups : hard woods, soft woods, fruit woods and resinous woods. Balsa being classified in the soft woods (it's even the softest wood to date) like basswood, alder, maple, poplar, ... In fact, the classification you use is the basic one dividing the trees in two parts : deciduous leaves opposed to evergreen. :drinks:

Here are my two.  The brown one is my first bass, bought in 1981.....although everything except the tuners has now been replaced in a 35 year attempt to create a Wal/Warwick/Fender hybrid!!  Currently passive (JB standard wiring, with an additional series / parallel switch) as when the latest pickups arrived I was too impatient to solder up the electronics.  It's had a new lease of life since I fitted a set of EB cobalt flats and will probably be going active again soon.

The Wal is ... well, a Wal, just like all the other Wal Customs in the world.

5abfae0942fab_summer2017.thumb.JPG.72f6e768cbbbb6008e3b1952fe995ed6.JPG

• Like 4

On 4/2/2018 at 14:19, Kevan said:

Nice gear Nick though you make the first one sound like Triggers broom 😂👍

I may rename it triggers broom!  New East electronics on order, then maybe some hipshot tuners with a D drop.  All that will remain of the original jazz bass will be the neck plate saying "made in Japan" which NONE of it is .. except the neck plate😂

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, ezbass said:

Right you lot, just stop it with these Wals, OK; I'm running out of clean undies!

There is no FRETLESS like a Wal FRETLESS :¬)

Oddly, the price of 2nd hand fretlesses has always been better than that of the fretted siblings and prices are coming down again at the moment.  

Come on in and join the club!

Still, £3500 would buy a very nice (new) ACG or Overwater.

2 hours ago, Auslander said:

Here my second fretless bass: Fodera Hybrid AJ Presentation Shape with spruce top and back.

Simply a One of a kind with a no words sound and playability...

1520256381244.jpg

This bass looks fantastic! More pictures, please! :):):) 

I was listening to Anthony Jackson with Haroumi Uehara on the "Alive" album .. playingthe 6 string version of this; sounds like no kind of electric bass I've every heard. Strange beast indeed.

Seriously tho!!!! 

Specs for the Anthony Jackson Presentation:

• Alder Body
  • Alder Tone Block
  • Quilted Mahogany Topwood
  • 3pc Hard Rock Maple Neck
  • Brazilian Rosewood Fingerboard
  • Fodera / Duncan Dual Coil Pickup
  • 36″ inch scale, 28 large frets, 6-strings
  • 19.0mm String Spacing
  • Passive Electronics

Price – USD $20,250 Possibly there is a big discount for having one less string!? 

2 hours ago, NickA said:

I was listening to Anthony Jackson with Haroumi Uehara on the "Alive" album .. playingthe 6 string version of this; sounds like no kind of electric bass I've every heard. Strange beast indeed.

Seriously tho!!!! 

• Alder Body
  • Alder Tone Block
  • 19.0mm String Spacing
  • Passive Electronics

Price – USD $20,250 Possibly there is a big discount for having one less string!? 

It's Hiromi. B|

Look here, Hugues is selling one of the previous generation (normal size body thickness), the Presentation II is similar to the one of Auslander :

Watch this if you want to see Anthony Jackson playing that new Presentation II. Flashback is one of my favourite track :

• Like 1

On 2018-04-08 at 16:37, NickA said:

Seriously tho!!!! 

• Alder Body
  • Alder Tone Block
  • 19.0mm String Spacing
  • Passive Electronics

You looked at the wrong bass; it is even more expensive, the Presentation II... :) 

Price – USD $35,000

Specs for the Anthony Jackson Presentation II:

• Hybrid Design Alder Body
  • Hand Carved Holly Topwood and Back
  • 3pc Red Oak Neck
  • Ebony Fingerboard
  • 19.0mm String Spacing
  • Passive Electronics
  • Titanium Hardware
  • Thanks 1

The bass is Hybrid AJ shape with same specs of Presentation II AJ Contrabassguitar except for spruce top and back. It is impossible to capture the sound with words. No standard amps can let ear all spectrum sound. It sounds like noother basses.

24 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

In fact, it's the opposite, Auslander has a 5 strings version of the Anthony Jackson Presentation II model, which is by definition a 6 strings contrabass (sic) guitar. 

That said, @Auslander we are still waiting for some extra pictures. B|

Her Smigmug link.

http://www.fodera.com/2016-spruce-hybrid-cpo/

The bass is exactly this one with fretless convertion by Fodera itself for the precedent owner ;)

Here a short video:

• Like 1

I like fretless basses :)

This is the Jack Bruce Tribute I made for our band's bassist, Pete.  I get to play it occasionally when he lets me ;)

RszO3FCl.jpg

I liked the sound and feel of Pete's so much, I built one for myself - my own design but using similar timbers and dimensions.  Even though this one has Seymour Duncans, it has a similar vibe to it:

T3YDnyTl.jpg

When I built Pete's tribute, he gave me his old goose-turd green Yamaha RBX270F to do whatever I liked with.  I decided to give it the 'myrtle veneer treatment':

PjIEwexl.jpg

Nice players, those Yamahas

• Like 4