Why become a member? ×

Show us yer fretlesses!

Rich

13 hours ago, Cato said:

I really like that.

What is it?

Thank you :)

I had it made for me, it has a family connection in that my late Gt Uncle added the fancy top to a Jazz Bass body for me in the early 90's, years after he died I finally got around to having a bass made out of it.

8 minutes ago, Rumple said:

I had it made for me, it has a family connection in that my late Gt Uncle added the fancy top to a Jazz Bass body for me in the early 90's, years after he died I finally got around to having a bass made out of it.

I think I speak for more than just me when I say, more pics please.

• Like 1

I'll be glad to take some more (up to date) pics once I can get to my camera again, it's buried away at the mo'. The picture I posted is quite old as it shows the original East Filter based pre-amp that was so noisy I removed it and made the bass passive VVT, it also still has the Hipshot Ultralites that were badly fitted so I put some generic Fender style ones on instead.

1 hour ago, Rumple said:

I guessed it probably wasn't an off the peg model.

It's just too unique looking, in the best possible way

30 minutes ago, Cato said:

I guessed it probably wasn't an off the peg model.

It's just too unique looking, in the best possible way

Nope not off the peg, interestingly it has a thin layer of clear resin on the fingerboard, not very organic but it works very well, I'll try and show it in future pictures. the bass weighs a tonne!

Took charge of these two last night :) Wishbass Lobes, previously owned by @Billy Apple One's ambrosia maple and other is bloodwood. Never owned a single cut before so why not start with 2 :biggrin: Very thick necks on them but surprisingly comfortable. Wish basses come in a fairly raw state so some sanding and filling will get done.

B4CENT8h.jpg

• Like 3

The second is a bitsa I put together using a ‘vintage’ relic’d body, an allparts unlined neck, Tonerider P & J pickups, and a Kigon stack knob harness giving volume and tone for each pickup

B320DD8C-A47A-4274-B4EC-032D283DB77D.thumb.jpeg.063ee77225be3309c8f27361d0f8dff7.jpeg

11 hours ago, Basvarken said:

My acoustic short scale fretless bass.
My goal was to build an acoustic that was as loud as possible without amplification.
I failed. It isn't loud (enough).
But I do enjoy playing it once in a while.

9742807_orig.jpg
3183925_orig.jpg

Like it a lot, very nice job, but having an acoustic sounding loud enough can't be achieved with an archtop which will be more focused on mids, that was your only "mistake", even if I don' t like the word in this case. Put a Fishman BP100 in (on will be more appropriate) it and you'll have a very very good sounding bass, I can swear it as your conception will ccorrect the default of the BP100 which it's tendency to be a bit muddy.

• Like 1

Thank you for the tip. But I really don't want to amplify this bass.
I wonder why you say an archtop would not be able to be loud? What about a Cello then?
This bass was built with a bass bar and staple, rather than the bracing you see with acoustic guitars and basses.
I think the mistake is in the scale (should have made it 34"). Plus I made the bass bar too thick. It doesn't "sing" enough.

Edited by Basvarken

Cellos are intended to be played with a bow at first and every bowed instrument is made that way. A flat table instrument used with a bow will create so much low end vibration that the table would explode or at the best deglue. It's the same for double bass which was originally intended to be played bowed as all the quatuor instruments as they are called. Now you've got the explanationfor the archtop construction. ;)

• Like 1

I thought double basses and cellos were arched to stop the tension of the strings driving the bridge clean through the table.  If you built a flat tabled instrument with a bridge, bass-bar and sound post wouldn't it just collapse, rather than merely be too bassy? 

My double bass and cello are much louder than my acoustic bass even when played pizz ... but run far higher tension strings and have much bigger surface areas too, and that I reckon is the thing.  But I'm an engineer not an instrument maker, so probably wrong.

Off topic anyway ... it's a great looking instrument and even if it doesn't sound quite as intended it must be a lovely thing to own.

• Like 1