Why become a member? ×

Am I in the wrong band

Nicko

When the band started out we decided we wanted to do post punk, indie and alternative stuff that everyone would know, but that not every other pub band played. It turns out we actually do quite a lot of what other bands play (Chelsea Dagger, Take Me Out, Florescent Adolescent, I Predict A Riot, etc, etc), but that's not the point.

We played a few gigs and some of the punters started asking for more "classic" rock. Reluctantly I agreed to put some "off message" tracks into the set list. We now have Sweet Child O mine, Walk this Way, and Enter Sandman in the set. I'm OK with this and I agree we shouldn't restrict ourselves to a narrow genre.

Last night we met to discuss potential new songs: Of the 47 song suggestions 15 were what I'd call Hard Rock, or Classic Rock. Suggestions included I Cant Get No Satisfaction, Paradise City, Schools Out (Alice Cooper) and Tush. Apart from Schools Out I don't mind the songs, but they are in no way consistent with what our current band identity is.

I asked if we put Paradise City on the list would we ever play it instead of, not as well as, Sweet Child, and I might have well have taken a dump on the table. When I said if they want to do stuff that old then maybe something like Ace of Spades would be more in keeping with the Post Punk/ Indie thing they didn't get it at all.

Is it me or they have they got the wrong bassplayer?

No you're not necessarily in the wrong band, but if the audiences are asking for different numbers then your band is in the wrong gig. That's a different issue.

Unless you're working for a band leader every band is a compromise and this is a conversation many bands have when they discover the reality that their initial direction might need some tweaking.

You can do one of three things:
Leave. You in a different band will be lucky if you're not faced with exactly the same problems. The band can decide to play only what they want to play. That means you have to attract your own audience out of the woodwork, or you can play what audiences at the gigs you're aiming at want to hear.

I'm shallow and just crave success, but if the band has good players and goes down well I'd stay.

Maybe you need to discuss it properly with the band.

I'd avoid heavy metal (like Ace of Spades) for pubs.

I'm not sure you can separate classic rock between post and pre Punk. Classic Rock is Classic Rock.

If you want to keep it more modern then you should stick to your guns, there's too many pub bands playing prepunk classic rock. However, there are certain 90s and 00s tunes that are very overplayed but go down well with audiences.

It's a bit of a minefield. You need to be flexible but also need to steer the band in a certain direction as otherwise the others will drift aimlessly with random song choices.

Maybe try and chose 10 songs from each decade from 70s on. That's should give you a good balance.

You were in the right band when you started out but its evolved as often is the case with bands. Its staying on the louder guitary side of things be it indie, indie rock, pub rock or all out rock. I mean it hasn't exactly morphed into a dancey funk band or abba tribute.
Some of the tunes on offer right now that you are not so keen on could fade away never to be played again and something that you prefer may come along.

If the things that are on the table right now = more gigs and regular gigs then go with it .

When I play a gig with my regular band, although the genre is my thing, I would confess that half of it is not my go to choice within that frame work. IE: cheesy stuff that guarantees the gigs and audience. Its constantly evolving and changing so the way I would look at it is on an average pub gig paying £300.00 between 5 its about £5.00 a song. Thats what I think to myself while playing it as professionally as possible. " And...... last chorus...and thats the end....and that's another 5 quid in the bank"

If every note fills you with despair then you are now in the wrong band. You'll only mope about and not learn things with the right passion which will lead to ill will and a sacking.

I think you need a dictatorship not a democracy when it comes to covers bands - I think it's best left to the singer to choose songs, and that usually keeps the focus. If every member tries to choose songs, you can end up in endless discussions and disagreements. I doubt every band member loves every track & you could always start up your own band on the side to play other stuff.

[quote name='petebassist' timestamp='1507901909' post='3388699']
I think you need a dictatorship not a democracy when it comes to covers bands - I think it's best left to the singer to choose songs, and that usually keeps the focus. If every member tries to choose songs, you can end up in endless discussions and disagreements. I doubt every band member loves every track & you could always start up your own band on the side to play other stuff.
[/quote]

Definitely, with the proviso that the singer sticks to the brief. Otherwise you'll end up as a <insert singer's hero here> tribute band.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1507903417' post='3388706']
Best covers band I was in had a policy of not including a track if even one person didn't like it. Could be frustrating, but eventually we ended up with a killer set that everyone liked.
[/quote]

We also have a veto. It is used sparingly so as to avoid hacking people off. The main problem last night was that I wanted to veto almost everything that was suggested by one band member. When I got his suggestions 80% were ones we had previously discussed and dismissed.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1507903665' post='3388709']
Additionally in my old punk covers band we worked on the theory that if it hadn`t been in the top 30 many punters would be unlikely to have heard of it, so no matter how good a song it was, not top 30, we didn`t play it.
[/quote]

We take a similar approach. The trouble with more modern stuff is that it has to have been both top 30 and still regularly played on the radio or somehow kept in the the public ear (eg film scores, adverts etc). There's no point in playing last years best top 30 as almost no one will remember it. I always take a look at youtube hits which are also a good indicator.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1507904087' post='3388714']
We also have a veto. It is used sparingly so as to avoid hacking people off. The main problem last night was that I wanted to veto almost everything that was suggested by one band member. When I got his suggestions 80% were ones we had previously discussed and dismissed.
[/quote]

Ha. Once we had vetoed something it couldn't be suggested again. Sounds like your band member has problems with rejection. ;)

I also used to enjoy doing Schools Out occasionally when in an open mic house band. I was also in a band where, like the OP, we did a lot of the modern indie of the time like Chelsea Dagger etc. Singer was adamant that Ace of Spades would go down well, I tried to talk him out of it. Went down like a lead baloon every gig with one exception that at one gig 4 (yes FOUR) people danced to it (2 couples) who were obviously rock fans and totally at odds with 90% of others at the venue. Singer insisted that this was evidence it had 'gone down well'. Next gig we did it some people actually walked out.

I have found that when it comes to picking songs in a cover band where everyones opinion is equal, some people are more equal than others. There are battles you can fight and some that you are not going to. If too many things go against you and you can't get across that you are unhappy then you have to walk.
I have gone through phases of getting a bit annoyed on song choices as we agree something and then do something else, but I do have a line in the sand that I won't cross and I have been fantastically clear on that (but it is amazing how often they push against it!)

The other thing to always remember is whatever the thoughts on songs, if it`s not in the singers range, ditch it. I hate seeing bands where the singer has to drop a song a whole octave, like a hideous permutation of Barry White singing AC/DC. If the singer can`t get the proper range, bin.

It's funny how many covers bands end up gravitating towards the same stuff, despite the very best of intentions!

A difficult lesson I had to learn in a previous band was: if you're not the singer, you are essentially part of the singer's backing band.

I believe there are only a few exceptions to this rule.

[quote name='Heathy' timestamp='1507921361' post='3388862']
A difficult lesson I had to learn in a previous band was: if you're not the singer, you are essentially part of the singer's backing band.
[/quote]

Doesn't work like that with us, the singer will sing anything we want, other than it is actually a reasonable sort of range. But then 2 of the others of us sing too.