Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM tone controls

JPJ

The rehearsal rooms we’re using at the moment have Ashdown bass rigs, mainly ABM 500’s.

I’m really struggling to get to grips with all the knobs and sliders to get a decent rounded even tone. I can either get a nice sounding D & G string with no weight to the E & A, or a big fat muddy mess.

Can anybody give me a few pointers to: a) getting the thing as ‘flat’ as possible; or b ) getting a decent rock/ alt country tone?

By way of reference I mainly use an Aguilar AG500 through an SWR Goliath 4x10, and normally run it with the EQ ‘flat’.

Edited by JPJ

The pre-set"shape" feature on the Ashdown has to be pressed in to be switched off, starting there would be my first recommendation. I find that the ABMs can boom a bit, so knock the lows back some, to about 11 o`clock. The compression I find way too much so fully off, same with the Sub-Harmonic thingy. From there add a touch of high-end with the slider to the extreme right hand side and likewise with the treble itself, just pushing both these past their "flat" settings. That hopefully will put you somewhere in the same realm as the AG.

+1 Make sure the Flat/Shape button is pushed in. When it's in the out position you are scooping the mids and losing definition. From there you should be able to get almost any sound you want with the 7 band EQ.

Edited by Sparky Mark

Id turn the pre shape off and remember to turn the eq button on (eq dials wont work otherwise). Youll know when they are working - massive control.

Set bass to 10 oclock. Mids to 1 oclock and High to 11 oclock. Then put the 4 sliders right up (you should get a great growly mid from those).

Then adjust to taste.

• 1 month later...