Why become a member? ×

Ashdown fan club

scrumpymike

• 1 month later...

I have a dilemma please can anyone help or advise.

I am yearning for that old school fat warm valve sound I used to get from my TE AH250 and 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 Peavey cabs back in the 80's. I have been using Aguilar stuff more recently but have decided after many hours of reading to go with Ashdown. I have always liked the tone of the Evo 500 stuff. So i have gone out and bought me an Ashdon ABM 600 evo IV head. My plan was to get the ABM 210T and ABM 115H compact cabs to go with it. However this is where I need your help. I acquired a Ashdown ABM 210T Compact and just by putting it away in the garage my back has started to complain. I am now thinking of using the Ashdown head with a Barefaced BB2 i have. Do you think I will get the sound I am looking for or do I need to get a trolly for the compact cabs? 

Edited by Daveyboyrooster

The EVO IV head is fantastic. Just take time to work out what each slider does and itll be fantastic.

People seem to love them with Barefaced cabs.

However, having owned a SC g3 - and i loved it, if i was to buy again I would be a super twin - especially if you are after the sounds you previously had from a 4x10 & 1x15 cab set up. Replacing it with a single 12 falls short when loud.

Choice of cab for me now is a markbass 610 for big gigs, and i picked up an ashdown RM212 (2x12) for ridiculously cheap money for smaller gigs. The 212 is pretty heavy for what it is though - seems heavier than an Ashdown compact 210.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Daveyboyrooster said:

I have a dilemma please can anyone help or advise.

I am now thinking of using the Ashdown head with a Barefaced BB2 i have. Do you think I will get the sound I am looking for or do I need to get a trolly for the compact cabs? 

Obviously the cab's voicing will have an effect on the overall sound, but I don't think it will prevent you from getting a warm, valvey tone. Most of the colouring of your tone will come from the amp itself; the cab will just emphasise certain aspects of that. I've been running my Ashdown into a similarly well-voiced, modern cab (a Berg 2x12), and it's certainly done no harm to the tone - if anything it's helped it to carry further!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Obviously the cab's voicing will have an effect on the overall sound, but I don't think it will prevent you from getting a warm, valvey tone. Most of the colouring of your tone will come from the amp itself; the cab will just emphasise certain aspects of that. I've been running my Ashdown into a similarly well-voiced, modern cab (a Berg 2x12), and it's certainly done no harm to the tone - if anything it's helped it to carry further!

I hope you're right. I have a small pub gig this Saturday night and will try the Ashdown with the BB2 and see what it's like. Thanks EliasMooseblaster for the reassurance.

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 16:50, Jono Bolton said:

For years, I played through an Ashdown ABM300 (Evo II) and found it to be a really nice and versatile amp, however I sold it on when I picked up my Peavey Mark IV as it was more suitable for the band I was playing at the time (heavy, and loud). I'm half tempted to return to the Ashdown fold as there's a good deal on an ABM locally that I quite fancy.

I really regret not buying that Ashdown; £125 for an ABM 500 1x15 combo in excellent nick :(

Decided to take my original ABM500evo RC on last nights gig. First time I’ve gigged it with my Barefaced Big Twin 2. I’ve owned the ABM for about 10 years, but have  been using various class d’s since owning the BF cab, and for the last couple of years, I’ve been using a GK MB Fusion. I’m not really sure what prompted the decision to dig it out of the spare room and use it, but I’m glad I did, it sounded great. Used my Dingwall NG2 all night, and I’m not sure if it was the contrast of hifi bass and cab paired with the warmer old school tone of the ABM, but it just worked! So much so that it’s going back into a rackcase tomorrow and I’m  going to use it for the remainder of this year’s gigs. To think, I put it up for sale a couple of years ago for £175 but it didn’t sell, maybe it wasn’t meant to be. These older ABM’s are an absolute bargain on the used market. 

Edited by ern500evo
  • Like 1

Used my RM500 set up on Saturday night to play outdoors for the fireworks display to 3-4000 people. Amazing sound and clarity, easy load in and out. Sensible easy to use EQ, DI, I changed amps so much over the years but I don't think you can beat the Rootmaster range without spending a considerable amount more. They've nailed what a gigging bassist needs IMO.

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Used my RM500 set up on Saturday night to play outdoors for the fireworks display to 3-4000 people. Amazing sound and clarity, easy load in and out. Sensible easy to use EQ, DI, I changed amps so much over the years but I don't think you can beat the Rootmaster range without spending a considerable amount more. They've nailed what a gigging bassist needs IMO.

Hi There, What cabs did you use with the RM500?

IMG_20180721_215902.thumb.jpg.4514cc405b2c9cce6d2ca241160b7e9f.jpg

1 hour ago, Daveyboyrooster said:

Hi There, What cabs did you use with the RM500?

Rootmaster 1x15 and Rootmaster 2x10. I had two 1x15s at one point and preferred that for me and my sound. I occasionally gig with just one cab too but prefer to take the full stack out 

Edited by uk_lefty
Updated with image
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Agreed, Ashdown got this range spot on IMO

9 hours ago, Daveyboyrooster said:

Which 2 x 10s are you using?

I`m not at present, have an ABM410 plus an ABM210 which is dragged out for the big gigs. Previously I had two RM210s and they were very good, not much difference in sound to the ABM cabs in all honesty, a little less low-end but the core sound was very similar. 

On 01/11/2018 at 15:34, Daveyboyrooster said:

I hope you're right. I have a small pub gig this Saturday night and will try the Ashdown with the BB2 and see what it's like. Thanks EliasMooseblaster for the reassurance.

Well the gig went well but the ABM did not work well with the BB2. The sound was too scooooooped!! Back to the drawing board.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

You did have the Pre-Shape button in, didn’t you? Bizarrely that switches off the scooped setting of the ABM, rather than engaging it.

Yes I did 😁 too late to go back now I’ve just traded the ABM for the RM500 with matching cabs! Sounded great in the shop! Let’s hope I can replicate it at this Sunday’s gig😊

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

You should like those, great set-up imo. Bizarrely on the RM the pre-shape is on when pushed in. It gets very confusing.....

Yes so I noticed. It sounds the business I’ve got to be honest, I wasn’t expecting a sound that is so close to the ABM kit.  Now I need to protect my investment with some covers. Any recommendations?

oh, forgot to mention but I will be posting a couple of Ashdown ABM goodies in the for sale forum shortly as they are now no longer required.😁