Why become a member? ×

Ashdown fan club

scrumpymike

54 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I’ve got a BF Compact (I was going to sell but now keeping it) - is there a decent used cheapie Ashdown head you guys would recommend for it?

I've got a Rootmaster 800 for sale on here, only selling it as I have two, plus an ABM. Sounds good for a class D, nice and light, too. Played many gigs with one or other my RM800s and a Super Compact.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I've got a Rootmaster 800 for sale on here, only selling it as I have two, plus an ABM. Sounds good for a class D, nice and light, too. Played many gigs with one or other my RM800s and a Super Compact.

I concur. The RM and SC are an equally lovely match. And Dave’s is a bloody cracking price :)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Merton said:

I concur. The RM and SC are an equally lovely match. And Dave’s is a bloody cracking price :)

Certainly an option. My preference is something with valves for recording - but worth checking all the available choices out ;)

4 minutes ago, Merton said:

As well as sounding good together, they are both a light and easy carry, an ideal quick-in, quick-out rig for pub gigs, which is what I use mine for. And thanks for the plug :)

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

Certainly an option. My preference is something with valves for recording - but worth checking all the available choices out ;)

I usually end up DI-ing straight to the desk when recording. I loved my old Selmer T&B 50 back in the 70s, but would rather do without the weight and general faffing about that a valve amp seemed to involve; the ABM and Rootmasters are simple to use and reliable (and light, well the RM is!)

6 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I usually end up DI-ing straight to the desk when recording. I loved my old Selmer T&B 50 back in the 70s, but would rather do without the weight and general faffing about that a valve amp seemed to involve; the ABM and Rootmasters are simple to use and reliable (and light, well the RM is!)

I’d say 90% of my recording is DI - especially when out and about, but you know how it is.. at home.. every now and again you get a hankering to go all trad and retro and spend two hours arguing with a mic stand and all that faff 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I own the 500 but we have the 800 at our rehearsal space. It's incredibly loud but doesn't loose tonal quality. Pair either a 500 or 800 with the right cabs and you won't get remotely near half volume unless you want to deafen people.

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I own the 500 but we have the 800 at our rehearsal space. It's incredibly loud but doesn't loose tonal quality. Pair either a 500 or 800 with the right cabs and you won't get remotely near half volume unless you want to deafen people.

I've played quite large gigs with my RM 800 and Barefaced Super Twin and the volume has rarely been above 1/3 open, definitely a great amp.

I gig with an RM800 evo/BF Super 12 and this combination fills any size space with luscious tones. In a pub I can't have the volume knob higher than around 10%- 20%, and even then my troosers are flapping. Really good combination and great tones.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2018 at 14:15, SuperSeagull said:

Agree. Reluctantly just put my 1999 ABM C110 combo and 1x15 cab up for sale. 

You'll regret selling the combo. Mine is one of the only pieces of gear I've ever owned that I would NEVER sell.

It only weighs just over 5 stone, not really a problem, 300  little watt-lets,  gets so hot you could cook on it I reckon,  er, that might be why I have a Ashdown  all valve 100 watt-er, I can get to the car with the small one.

1533577585223-2038339639.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Dropped in on here to say after years of occasional Ashdown use, I went into a new practice space and noticed the amp was a little 12" Ashdown combo, the snappily named RM-C112T-500 EVO. I was a little dubious as over the years, my experience of their amps has ranged from perfectly decent to disappointing and the single small speaker had me worried.

I was hugely impressed with the amp! My P-bass sounded fantastic through it and it held it's own against a full band despite being next to the drummer and under a stand mounted PA. Tight, punchy sound with just the right amount of breakup. Pleasantly surprised. Played a few Stranglers riffs through it and they were spot on (apart from the playing).

• 2 weeks later...

So been having a few issues with my ashdown ctm-100, turns out the pre amp went down! all sorted and will be back in the rig soon! however i had some gigs coming up so i needed an amp my Orange Rockerverb isnt great fr the big bass needed on its own so reached out to ashdown!

what can i say! love them even more than i did! they managed to in a couple of days hook my up with a B stock Abm 600! so i could play the gigs with a decent backline rather than loaning something that might not cut the mustard!

41482820_739131899763696_2583283349481062400_o.thumb.jpg.06461013ec3938b50c16baa3d59eaf67.jpg

hopefully in the coming weeks grabbing a few new ashdown cabs as my mag 810 needs a bit of tlc aswell! as i really wanna get this rig back going!

38204253_702027726807447_3961331698121048064_o.thumb.jpg.32ab2cb5b1069ff450b773716bb1cc42.jpg