Why become a member? ×

Duck Dunn in wrong note shocker?

wateroftyne

Sounds to me like a deliberate note choice on the first two measures to add a bit of dissonant tension which he then removes on the third and fourth measures.

Or it could be the old trick of when you play a bum note always play it again so people think it's an "arrangement".

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1507825239' post='3388250']
Not really. But I'm intrigued that it seems to be a deliberate note choice, rather than a flub.
[/quote]

I think it's a clam ...It's a bad fit with the vocal and not in keeping with the spirit of the original. If it's not a wrong note and a personal choice, maybe he couldn't hear the vocal line when recording ?
If you listen to the original, it's an 'A' (Bmin7 chord) and sits much better with the vocal. As others have said, it's not wrong to play the G# (well maybe in strict scale terms it is), but in this case it don't sound so nice.
(All in [i]my[/i] ears opinion of course).

The original (I think)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2apquxKKQ[/media]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1507825830' post='3388258']
I think it's a clam ...It's a bad fit with the vocal and not in keeping with the spirit of the original. If it's not a wrong note and a personal choice, maybe he couldn't hear the vocal line when recording ?
If you listen to the original, it's an 'A' (Bmin7 chord) and sits much better with the vocal. As others have said, it's not wrong to play the G# (well maybe in strict scale terms it is), but in this case it don't sound so nice.
(All in [i]my[/i] ears opinion of course).

The original (I think)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2apquxKKQ[/media]
[/quote]

I'm gonna have to say that's also a G#.

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1507826452' post='3388260']
I'm gonna have to say that's also a G#.
[/quote]

Originally listened on my iPad and thought it was an 'A', I have just sat at the Piano, and listened to YouTube through my desk top and yes you are right...
So, Duck stayed true to the original. :)

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1507827384' post='3388265']
I'm going to have to agree, though, something about it sounds better! I'm assuming it might be because I tend to favour 60's soul recordings over 90's soul recordings.
[/quote]

I think it sounds better as well, not sure why though. :)

It's fine by me. Ever so slightly dissonant, but I suspect that;s deliberate to emphasise the key change. I your ears really can't tolerate that level of dissonance, I suggest you stick to Stock, Aitken and Waterman. It's the spice that makes music, IMHO

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1507836055' post='3388328']
It's fine by me. Ever so slightly dissonant, but I suspect that;s deliberate to emphasise the key change. I your ears really can't tolerate that level of dissonance, I suggest you stick to Stock, Aitken and Waterman. It's the spice that makes music, IMHO
[/quote]

That's canny insulting, TBH.

One man's 'dissonant' is another man's 'What the heck did he play that for?'

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1507836055' post='3388328']
It's fine by me. Ever so slightly dissonant, but I suspect that;s deliberate to emphasise the key change.
[/quote]

What key change? The change to Eb doesn't come till nearly the end of the song. You might argue a brief modulation to Bm but that wouldn't call for a G# note.

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1507853746' post='3388415']

Yes, but that doesn't mean the latter opinion is either informed or viable. I can understand if folks think the post sounded harsh - but there's a bigger musical world out there happily containing and accepting much more colour and dissonance than, as NeilP said, the very slight dissonance Duck laid down on this track.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, but I’m familiar with harshness, colour and dissonance.

I’m questioning whether this instance is appropriate in an r’n’b classic :-D

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1507824326' post='3388240']
Or it could be the old trick of when you play a bum note always play it again so people think it's an "arrangement".
[/quote]

Damn, I thought that was my secret. Did pretty much a whole gig doing exactly that on DB, and was offered a Jazz gig immediately afterwards :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1507874810' post='3388427']
I'm questioning whether this instance is appropriate in an r'n'b classic :-D
[/quote]

Being pedantic. . . . at the time we called it Soul Music. R&B was a totally different thing.