Why become a member? ×

DV247 - Bad experience

Machines

On a whim I ordered a J&D 1975 Jazz bass (as per http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-jb-vintage-1975-sfgr-bass-guitar-surf-green--201561) last Tuesday, with the website advising 2 working days for delivery. I started tracking the order and noticed on Wednesday it still wasn't shipped. I contacted DV247 and was informed that due to a national holiday in Germany, it would be received Friday and not Thursday, fair enough.

I opted to work from home Friday (which requires juggling) and the package was out for delivery from 7am. Roll on 7pm, nothing. I contacted DV247 on Monday and queried this, they advised me to register on UPS and have the package redelivered to a local UPS delivery point (a newsagent less than a mile away) which I did at 11am. As a gesture of goodwill, they generated a £10 discount code for a future order (assumptive that I'd even risk using them again).

By 5pm and the redirect request still pending, I contacted UPS. They said they didn't know where it is and to wait. I contacted the newsagent who advised nothing had been delivered at 6pm and the UPS driver had been already but not with my parcel.

Tuesday - still nothing, still pending. I cancelled the redirect and at the point of sheer boredom and frustration, asking DV247 to cancel the order which they were fine with. This morning I have an email from them stating UPS have lost the parcel, and they will refund me when they have found it and it is returned to DV247. I have queried this logic, as it is not my problem and why should I wait ? It was never delivered and my contract is with DV247, not their courier. UPS have been pretty useless and cannot track anything in their system any more so than I can on their website.

To me, DV247 haven't really taken great ownership of this issue and passed the blame to the courier. I await their response on my last email but thought it better people be aware of this in case they want to order from them in the future.

Edited by Machines

I actually thought DV247 were based in the UK, so that threw me, but I guess they can probably ship from anywhere.

Anyhow, to get back on point, your contract of sale is with the seller, not UPS. DV247 should be refunding you or expediting another bass to you. Also you shouldn't need to set up an account with a courier to be able to track a parcel; they should just be able to give you a shipping/tracking number and you should be able to just plug that into the appropriate online track and trace website.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1507721282' post='3387417']
I actually thought DV247 were based in the UK, so that threw me, but I guess they can probably ship from anywhere.
[/quote]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1507721418' post='3387420']
+1 ... I had no idea they were German.
[/quote]

DV haven't been a UK concern for their mail-order activities for quite a few years now.

[url=http://theeccentricblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/digital-village.html]This makes very interesting reading about the situation[/url] and will hopefully make people re-consider using them, in light of their overall attitude.

Not sure where you stand with the law on this. Doesn’t sound like good business to me, and there are laws that govern the return of goods within 14 days if ordered over the internet (as I had to remind a well known bass retailer a few months ago). However, as you actually have no goods to return, I don’t know where you stand. It seems to me that if UPS have admitted they have lost it, then you should be entitled to an immediate refund.

In any case DV are behaving very poorly in this case. Good luck with it,

Rob

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1507722260' post='3387427']
DV haven't been a UK concern for their mail-order activities for quite a few years now.

[url="http://theeccentricblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/digital-village.html"]This makes very interesting reading about the situation[/url] and will hopefully make people re-consider using them, in light of their overall attitude.
[/quote]

Indeed, very interesting, I certainly won't use them again.

You ordered goods which DV and their courier have failed to deliver. Its not your fault, and there's no reason why you should wait for UPS to find the parcel before they give you a refund. If you paid with a credit card speak to them first and explain that you have cancelled because the goods didn;'t turn up.

I once had a parcel go missing between Germany and London - it turned up a year later in London Ontario. On teh plus side the goods were f**k all use to anyone excpet me, so I managed to buy them back of f the insurance company for a pittance.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1507721418' post='3387420']
+1 ... I had no idea they were German.
[/quote]

Me neither but it does answer the question of why when I ordered a pedal from them a few years ago it came with a European mains adaptor and not a UK one (although they had included a European to UK adaptor in the package).

Other than that my experience was fine, but having had issues with online purchases before from other retailers you have my sympathy, for what it's worth :(

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1507735807' post='3387611']
Did you order on a credit card? Is this something you could take up with your credit card company? Companies tend to be a lot more attentive when the credit card companies come knocking.
[/quote]

No normal debit. I called to chase and he said refund would be done today. It hasn't.

The issue SHOULD be between DV247 and the courier, with you getting another bass sent to you pronto.

But DV247 are a bit awkward. I would ring their helpline and ask them when they are going to get the bass delivered to you that you have paid for, or a refund. Tell them your mate works for a newspaper and it's a very slow news week, so he's happy to make a splash of their name with it.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1507739045' post='3387636']
If it's any help, it could be suggested that the members of staff in the actual shop are just as frustrated over the difficulties with the part of the business they have no control over too.
[/quote]

The attitude I received was only acceptable after I phoned and was quite firm. Via email it was dismissive.

If they still haven’t refunded you contact your card issuer. Whether credit card or debit card you have chargeback rights regardless; effectively your bank would contact the merchant’s bank under chargeback rules to obtain refund of the sum due to goods not being delivered.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='mr4stringz' timestamp='1507794767' post='3387943']
If they still haven't refunded you contact your card issuer. Whether credit card or debit card you have chargeback rights regardless; effectively your bank would contact the merchant's bank under chargeback rules to obtain refund of the sum due to goods not being delivered.

Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Just had a look at the process. It could take weeks to get any response from that but it's a good backup cheers.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1507737836' post='3387620']
No normal debit. I called to chase and he said refund would be done today. It hasn't.
[/quote]

It doesn't in my experience make any difference if a credit or debit card is used, the bank will still get the money back. I don't believe in credit cards, but my bank has refunded me twice now when things have gone wrong with transactions paid for with my debit card.

Both times the refund has been within a week. With Natwest you do it online, just provide details of the transaction, and any emails with the company etc.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1507804694' post='3388036']
I've been told the refund has gone through and should be in my bank in a few days. It's strange as when I paid the money was taken immediately. funny world.
[/quote]

Yeah I’ve had this, paid a lot of dosh for a fishing bivvy and when I came to use my bank card the next day there was only a fiver left in my account as opposed to a few hundred quid, turns out they’d accidentally taken the money twice on quite a few purchases from myself and others. Took about three days to come back, a right pita and I had to go on the scrounge all round. Somewhere along the line the money must be earning interest for someone whilst it’s in the ether out there!!!