Why become a member? ×

Gig 17 days after carpal tunnel surgery???

chrisanthony1211

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1507829773' post='3388277']
Is 10 days the time allotted for this operation by your insurance company?

They will have a sliding scale for operations and periods they won't cover you whilst recuperating.
[/quote]

Yep, insured to drive once the stitches are out, surgeon said I physically I would be able to drive before then, but they like the stitches to be out first.
I’m planning on a steady couple of weeks sat at home, not working, watching movies and box sets, (with a little bit of bass when I’m able)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1507838832' post='3388345']
https://flic.kr/p/Xb5LGE

My wrist/hand is fecked, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, can't you dep out or as suggested share this one? Maybe a basschat collective effort?!
[/quote]
Oh dear, that looks like pretty major surgery compared to what I’m having done! Is that metal plate still in there?

[url=https://postimg.org/image/3a6x3jmvjf/][/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/2ulfs03z57/][/url]

I ended up having it took out a couple of years after as it was thought to be the source of my restricted movement, unfortunately it wasn't so it's still fecked.

Almost everyone that has this injury gets carpal tunnel after, as do double bass players and anyone that uses power tools at work or as a hobby, I do all of them :( :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1508861120' post='3394951']
Well surgery done, in and out in half an hour, here was me expecting to have a great big pressure bandage, and he shoves a plaster on it!!!
He seems to think that a gig in 17 days should be ok and to start playing a little bit in a day or two!
[/quote]

You've got off more lightly than I did - especially on my second one. Sounds like a key-hole job but didn't think they could do carpals that way.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1509125734' post='3396887']

You've got off more lightly than I did - especially on my second one. Sounds like a key-hole job but didn't think they could do carpals that way.
[/quote]

No key hole, sliced open and stitched up again, about an inch long cut with four stitches. In and out in a little over 30 minutes, hurt like a bugger and swelled up the first night but starting to settle down now, I did manage five minutes on the bass earlier today, wish I’d not taken those TI flats off! Those chromes are pretty tight!
At the moment I just have no strength or grip, will hopefully improve a little every day.

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1507667811' post='3387178']
Booked for carpal tunnel on my right wrist on 24th October......gig booked on 10th November!!!!
It may be a little tight, anyone have any experience of recovery post surgery?
[/quote]
Yes, I had it. I was fine a week later

Same thing, keyhole in wrist, four stitches
Took about twenty minutes and worked fabulously

Had a great conversation with the scouser anaesthetist about the battles of Stamford bridge and Maldon

Edited by Geek99

Be aware that the most difficult part of playing will be picking your bass up. As you do lose grip strength for a while. Actually, playing is probably good for your hand, to make sure full hand movement and flexibility is retained. Don't overdo it though and if it hurts stop.

I was given pills to prevent inflammation but one of the side effects was terrible indigestion, so I stopped taking them after a day.

Hope things go well and keep us all informed about how the gig goes.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1509284425' post='3397761']
Be aware that the most difficult part of playing will be picking your bass up. As you do lose grip strength for a while. Actually, playing is probably good for your hand, to make sure full hand movement and flexibility is retained. Don't overdo it though and if it hurts stop..
[/quote]

My movement and flexibility is actually pretty goood to say I only had the surgery on Tuesday, I've even had a few minutes on the bass. As you say, I have absolutely no strength in my right hand at the moment, I'm regretting taking the TI flats off one of my basses, the chromes take some playing!!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1509279914' post='3397719']
Was that his technique for putting you to sleep? :)
[/quote]

Certainly a way to relax the patient. My anaesthetist was a biker and knew I was as he'd spotted me reading a bike mag in the waiting area. So that's what he/we talked about during the op and it definitely helped take my mind off the pain I was feeling. Turned out later that he hadn't got the anaesthetic dose quite right so it was a bit like being lightly tortured :o

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1509288762' post='3397803']
My movement and flexibility is actually pretty goood to say I only had the surgery on Tuesday, I've even had a few minutes on the bass. As you say, I have absolutely no strength in my right hand at the moment, I'm regretting taking the TI flats off one of my basses, the chromes take some playing!!
[/quote]

If the problem is in your plucking hand I recommend wearing your bass down as low as you can. This keeps the strain on your wrist to a minimum. So none of that, nineteen eighties, wearing it up near your chin for you! Sid viscous had the right idea. I bet he didn't get carpal tunnel :)

Edited by gjones

Well stitches come out tomorrow and they are now starting to pull a little, I’m getting more and more movement everyday and managed half hour on the bass earlier, TI flats work well but chromes are a little tougher. Although nearly all movement is back I have very little strength in the hand, again it seems to be coming back a little every day. The gig a week tomorrow is looking good.

Edited by chrisanthony1211

All good, I got picked up so I didn’t have to drive and also didn’t do much of the lifting of the gear, but as far as playing bass goes it was absolutely fine. I think having the surgery on the left hand would keep me out of playing for longer due to the angle needed to get around the fretboard, but I’m amazed at the speed of recovery.

18 hours ago, chrisanthony1211 said:

All good, I got picked up so I didn’t have to drive and also didn’t do much of the lifting of the gear, but as far as playing bass goes it was absolutely fine. I think having the surgery on the left hand would keep me out of playing for longer due to the angle needed to get around the fretboard, but I’m amazed at the speed of recovery.

Excellent! Remember to keep that bass nice and low :)