Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5 , 30th Anniversary

Chris Horton

There's at least one person on here who has one - they look very nice indeed and have the ceramic magnet pick up.

I'm going to a shop tomorrow and if they have one will be checking it out!!

Unfortunately the price of all Instruments is more reasonable in the US as a result if the exchange rate. These are on the pricey side but a beautiful instrument nonetheless.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1507639146' post='3386892']
They are around £1000 cheaper in the US compared to UK prices

would love to try one out though
[/quote]

By the time you've paid shipping, duty and VAT, I suspect the price is around £300 less for a new one, at least based on current exchange rates.

Interesting difference in weights - MM claims 10lbs on their website. Mine (rosewood 'board) is 9lb 13oz. The neck is amazing!

I was wondering about the annoucement that the 30th A. SR5 would have a different preamp "that fits more the needs of today's requirements".
Okay, that's great. It seems they understood that the 3-band-EQ of the standard SR5 has become to harsh for many players these days. However, it is a mystery to me that they do not update the whole line accordingly. I would be the first to look for a standard Ray 5 (nature/maple neck, hmmm!) that has a slightly adapted preamp.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1507667926' post='3387181']
I’ve played one and it was sublime. Not been a big fan of Musicman stingrays after having a 3eq one in the past, but this bass completely changed my opinion. The neck felt wonderfully smooth and the tone with everything flat was warm and punchy throughout. And they look stunning.
[/quote]

Personally I think that the ceramic pickup makes a huge difference. I've had loads of Stingrays as I love the look and am a huge Flea fan but I couldn't get mine to sound like the Stingray I heard on recordings.

The solution was to get a Sterling which also has the ceramic pickup.

I'm not sure I fancy the new EQ as the mid-production Stingray 5 with the Ceramic pickup to me is nigh on perfect - the only thing that made me sell mine was the weight. I had shoulder trouble a couple of years ago so sold the SR5 and bought the Sterling. I don't find it harsh at all. In fact it has the Stingray tone that I've always heard in my head but never managed to get when playing a Stingray.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1507722527' post='3387431']
Do you own both of these basses ?

Is there much difference in tone between the two basses ?
[/quote]

Haven't plugged them in yet! :-)

For sound, you best consult the Tony Levin video anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I5y_NBdV_0

The rosewood bass is one EBMM had at NAMM and it must have later made it into the above video before it found its way across the pond. Exact same figuring on the pickguard and headstock.

The necks feel great, especially if you prefer the lacquered, pre-1993, variety.

Curiously, only the rosewood bass has a finish that could be described as 'transparent' - you can see a bit of grain but it's subtle, whereas the finish on the maple bass is opaque. I've heard from a couple of others who have these that their finishes are also opaque.

Lovely colour though!

[quote name='LoneFurrow' timestamp='1507801280' post='3388005']
Mine isn't particularly "transparent" in terms of body, but it's still very lovely.

Not sure if Imgur works, but a few pics here - https://imgur.com/a/1sVFX
[/quote]

They really are lovely looking basses , looks fantastic in that colour.
Do you think the shape of the neck on the 30th anniversary is different to the standard SR5 ?

I've only tried a couple of SR5s besides the 30th Anniversary model. I felt the standard SR5 had a little more of a typical MM V profile. The 30th Anniversary seems closer to a C profile, which I prefer. I can measure the nut width / fret depths on mine this evening, if that helps.

[quote name='LoneFurrow' timestamp='1507801280' post='3388005']
Mine isn't particularly "transparent" in terms of body, but it's still very lovely.

Not sure if Imgur works, but a few pics here - [url="https://imgur.com/a/1sVFX"]https://imgur.com/a/1sVFX[/url]
[/quote]

Great pics! Could you possibly add one of the back of the body?

[quote name='rodney72a' timestamp='1507844000' post='3388384']
Great pics! Could you possibly add one of the back of the body?
[/quote]

Done - album updated with more pics - https://imgur.com/a/1sVFX

After further study last night, I can see there is a subtle amount of grain visible, but it's almost impossible to pull out in photos.

Geeky details...

Nut width: 45.23mm
Depth at 1st fret: 21.50mm
Depth at 12th fret: 25.02mm
String spacing: 18mm
Weight: 4.460kg / 9lb 13.3oz

I'm only aware of one for sale at the moment - The Bass Gallery in Camden have a maple 'board version, although it's not on their website. It was certainly in stock when I was in the shop on Tuesday this week. I'm sure there are others around, but couldn't hazard a guess where!

Hope that helps.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1507889593' post='3388550']
Thanks for posting the details and extra pictures.

The bass really looks brilliant.
Buttercream, roasted maple and red tort it a killer combo :)
[/quote]

I'm a massive sucker for a tort pickguard. You can put it on pretty much anything and I'll be drawn to it :-)

[quote name='LoneFurrow' timestamp='1507881448' post='3388464']
Done - album updated with more pics - [url="https://imgur.com/a/1sVFX"]https://imgur.com/a/1sVFX[/url]

After further study last night, I can see there is a subtle amount of grain visible, but it's almost impossible to pull out in photos.

Geeky details...

Nut width: 45.23mm
Depth at 1st fret: 21.50mm
Depth at 12th fret: 25.02mm
String spacing: 18mm
Weight: 4.460kg / 9lb 13.3oz

I'm only aware of one for sale at the moment - The Bass Gallery in Camden have a maple 'board version, although it's not on their website. It was certainly in stock when I was in the shop on Tuesday this week. I'm sure there are others around, but couldn't hazard a guess where!

Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Great pics, thanks for posting!

[quote name='LoneFurrow' timestamp='1507893397' post='3388596']
I'm a massive sucker for a tort pickguard. You can put it on pretty much anything and I'll be drawn to it :-)
[/quote]

Apart from greens and blues, obviously. Works especially well with blonde finishes and variations thereof.

Never been a big fan of the EBMM tort but they got it spot-on with this one!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a reasonable point. As I have one, I guess I should attempt to make a case for the defence :-) The p/u cover doesn't look quite as starkly white in reality as it does in the pics. It kind of matches the binding on the fretboard too.

Hmm... thinking this is a pretty feeble case...

Edited by LoneFurrow