Why become a member? ×

I have a student who is rhythm deaf. Help me

Owen

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1507595978' post='3386695']
:lol: :lol: Sorry that was hilarious
[/quote]

Agree..nearly fell of the chair, very funny.
But it is interesting who can and who cant. Put Mrs O on a dance floor and boy has she got some neat little moves..not all flailing about but kinda small, crisp with the odd twirl and bang on time. But try to get her to clap or stamp her foot to the music or keep a one note groove on my bass ..not a chance.....
Weird.

My sense of rhythm was originally very poor (and still can be quite ropey for anything rhythmically complex and I have to ghost note pauses in order to be able to hit the beats in between the obvious ones), but I was young desperately wanted to be able to play the guitar and so I stuck with it and eventually got better. Also 10+ years of playing bands with drum machines where I knew if I was out of time it was definitely my fault helped immensely. I suspect that most people with my lack of rhythm haven't got either the time or inclination to go to those lengths.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1507558723' post='3386330']
I have run into this before, but this one has beaten me. I have tried standing up and dancing with him. I have tried grabbing his foot and making it work on the pulse. I have given him basic drum tracks. Nothing is working, He is completely Disco-lexic (Copyright Happy Jack).

Any ideas?
[/quote]
I used to be like this. Now I can [i]feel [/i]the One. What worked for me was getting an online rhythm test and trying to win at it. Hours and hours of tapping away relentlessly did it for me.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1507633879' post='3386859']
Not everyone can do everything. Some people simply don't have a sense of rhythm. I have a good friend who simply can not dance, he can not hear or feel a beat. Its just the way it is. He can move about to music but its nowhere near the rhythm of any song he may be moving to, he looks like he is dancing to headphones while the rest of the floor is dancing to the music in the room..
[/quote]
I really wish you wouldn't talk about [b]me [/b]in public..... :P

Have you pondered the fact that your student doesn't perceive time the same way you and me do? I've found that issue in some people. Maybe if you have a talk and ask him/her how he/she perceives time could give you an idea?

I know a person who was struggling with this and found great help by using Takadimi which is an Indian method of rhythm, this vocalises the notes and it's incredibly easy to learn and adapt. Even better to learn how to read notation.

[url="http://www.takadimi.net/documents/Takadimi%20short%20guide%20for%20Web.pdf"]http://www.takadimi....20for%20Web.pdf[/url]

[url="http://www.takadimi.net/basics.html"]http://www.takadimi.net/basics.html[/url]

Edited by Mcgiver69

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1507558723' post='3386330']
I have run into this before, but this one has beaten me. I have tried standing up and dancing with him. I have tried grabbing his foot and making it work on the pulse. I have given him basic drum tracks. Nothing is working, He is completely Disco-lexic (Copyright Happy Jack).

Any ideas?
[/quote]

Your doing it all wrong, i feel bad that you have put him through this humiliating torture.
Please try this.
Put a large pan on his head and hit it with a big wooden spoon in time with some music.

Its alot of work for £30 an hour, but at least it gets you to practice drumming at the same time :)

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty rude, huh? I start a topic and then disappear. Thanks for all the suggestions - I will work through them. I have taken him out of band classes and and am now working with him on his own. To make it more exciting another member of the same class has proved himself to be equally disco-lexic. Deep joy.

Dyslexic/dyspraxic daughter has the same issues but managed to overcome them largely, but mostly because she was singing and found most of the guys she auditioned to join her in a band were crap players. She forced herself to learn in self-defence. Did it mostly by just plodding away on simple stuff and asking me or her partner ( a pro guitarist) if it sounded "right". She says there is no easy answer for everyone & admits that her sense of rhythm is still pretty poor.