Why become a member? ×

Aguilar TH 500 ' a bit of a wimp'?

JohnDaBass

Last Saturday played a wedding and had to use the feature band's backline of Aguilar TH500 into Barefaced G3 Super Compact. Really disappointed with tone and output with the rig while using my Fender P with DiMarzio Split P Pup.Volume was really poor overload light flashing even with Gain and Drive at zero (7 o clock) a really distorted sound when pushing the amp for more output to compete with drummer and 3 guitarists . If I knew what to expect I would have used my Mesa Subway D800 or my Fender Rumble 500 into my trusty Barefaced G3 Super Compact, both amps blow the TH 500 totally away. Always able to get my preferred tone with either the Mesa or the Rumble.
The feature band's bassist was also the sound guy who appeared to use the TH 500 as on stage monitor with a great deal of DI PA support. Stand alone the Aguilar just didn't have what it takes and appeared to be a 'bit of a wimp '
Anyone else suffered a similar experience?

My frontline rig for the last two years has been a TH350 into either a Barefaced 610 or a Barefaced Compact+Midget.

My volume & gain controls are routinely more-or-less straight up and supply with more than enough volume to sit alongside a pair of electric guitars and a drummer who can't even spell "restrained".

From your description, I'd say you were borrowing a rig with some major issues.

[quote name='JohnDaBass' timestamp='1507545972' post='3386151']
........Volume was really poor overload light flashing even with Gain and Drive at zero (7 o clock) a really distorted sound when pushing the amp for more output.......
[/quote]

I think this pretty much sums it up, serious issue with that amp.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1507558042' post='3386324']
I think this pretty much sums it up, serious issue with that amp.
[/quote]
Agree.
I still use my TH 500 everyweek through a 4 ohms - 212 and the loud knob never goes much past 9'0'clock or just on :) with fairly loud drummer guitar and keys.

Edited by Highfox

I used to use a GK2001RB as my main amp until I got a TH500 as back up, after using it once it's now my main amp. Sound is great and volume isn't an issue against a mental drummer and loud guitarist. Never past 9-10 o clock through a Barefaced Big Twin T. The GK is now up for sale!

Issues with the specific amp methinks. I`ve had a couple of TH500s (and TH350s) and they`ve been incredibly loud litle amps. Also hooked up to Barefaced cabs, but played with passive basses, never came anywhere near to using them on full volume.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1507566717' post='3386393']
I seem to recall molan (of this parish) remarking that the TH500 used the same Class D power stage as the allegedly 900W Streamliner!
[/quote]

The modules in pretty much all these amps are much of a muchness, just with tweaks here and there. I realised I didn't like the core behaviour, so I bailed on them a while ago.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1507566717' post='3386393']
I seem to recall molan (of this parish) remarking that the TH500 used the same Class D power stage as the allegedly 900W Streamliner!
[/quote]

That would explain the wimpiness of the Streamliner 600 I had, it probably had the same module as the TH350!

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1507575860' post='3386489']
I didn't find it to be wimpy. Certainly a marmite sort of sound though. Also, I much preferred it with more vintage voiced cabs.
[/quote]

I agree with this. I love the sound, but it doesn't work in my current band which calls for a brighter sound. But for playing blues etc with a P and flats, I have never heard a better amp.

The TH500 is a very loud and fine amp. . . . well, my 2 have been fantastic through both a Berg CN212 and 1 or 2 Super Compacts and in several very loud bands. In the SRV band I'm usually loud enough to make the guitarist have to turn up. The TH500 is no wimp.

Do you use pedals? Did you go through the PA like the main band did? If you didn't you're not comparing apples with apples.

For me issues and problems with other people's gear usually comes down to not understanding the controls.

Edit. Presumably if the main band bassist was the sound guy you sounded good out front?

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1507547796' post='3386175']
I've used a TH350 and couldn't believe how loud the thing could be.
[/quote]

Same here. I moved mine on after a few months, but not because it was in any way lacking in power, that wasn't the issue. And I agree with the comments about pairing it with the 'right' cab.

Edited by discreet

I wonder if one of the problems here is model numbers. The marketers know we are bears of very little brains and will assume that W big number indicates the power. Is a TH500 louder than a Streamliner 900? An LM3 must be very quiet.

As for the covert “all class d is rubbish” , the end of the world is nigh...