Why become a member? ×

James Brown doc

miles'tone

I watched it last night. I thought it was incredible. What a story!

Unfortunately I think the doc will resonate more with those of us that grew up with Brown and watched his career and music evolve in real time.

Was it me or did you think most of the musicians besdes Bootsy didn't have many kind words about Brown?

I saw a lot if live footage I'd never seen before, fantastic!

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1507503754' post='3385968']
If you're on Netflix, check out Mr. Dynamite - the story of James Brown's early life and career. It's bloody brilliant and you owe it to yourself.
[/quote]

Agreed

I couldn't move away from my TV.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1507575709' post='3386486']
I watched it last night. I thought it was incredible. What a story!

Unfortunately I think the doc will resonate more with those of us that grew up with Brown and watched his career and music evolve in real time.

Was it me or did you think most of the musicians besdes Bootsy didn't have many kind words about Brown?

I saw a lot if live footage I'd never seen before, fantastic!

Blue
[/quote]
Incredible is the right word Blue.
I didn't actually 'discover' James Brown until the 80's (born in '72) which was when I started searching for the records all my Hip Hop heroes were sampling so I didn't experience his socio-political importance in real time. Mr. Dynamite just changed all that!
I've always heard of his almost tyrannical control of his band and business so that was no surprise, but understanding now what kind of life he was born into and that he had been fighting for his since birth finally explains it all for me.

It does seem everyone who played for him is still spun out by him, feeling both truly thankful and resentment in equal measures. It must have been mind-blowing to be there. In the eye of the storm..

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1507704857' post='3387289']

Incredible is the right word Blue.
I didn't actually 'discover' James Brown until the 80's (born in '72) which was when I started searching for the records all my Hip Hop heroes were sampling so I didn't experience his socio-political importance in real time. Mr. Dynamite just changed all that!
I've always heard of his almost tyrannical control of his band and business so that was no surprise, but understanding now what kind of life he was born into and that he had been fighting for his since birth finally explains it all for me.

It does seem everyone who played for him is still spun out by him, feeling both truly thankful and resentment in equal measures. It must have been mind-blowing to be there. In the eye of the storm..
[/quote]

I remember seeing him for the first tine on a US variety show in 1965. His performance hit me as hard as when I first saw The Beatles perform.

Blue

*Probably saw Janes Brown live a dozen times.

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1507706663' post='3387297']

I remember seeing him for the first tine on a US variety show in 1965. His performance hit me as hard as when I first saw The Beatles perform.

Blue

*Probably saw Janes Brown live a dozen times.
[/quote]

I managed to see him just a couple of years before he passed supporting Red Hot Chili Peppers.
That was a very good day :)