Why become a member? ×

Help me Basschat people, you're my only hope...

Evil Undead

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1507751872' post='3387794']
Trust me...it'll work with anyone ;)
[/quote]

Hehe!

Well Andy. I tried the foam, no effect :( actually, in the interests of full disclosure, I can't find any foam short of stealing from the. Sofa cushions and that wouldn't go down well, so I shoved a sock under the strings.

I also tried the cable tie. It massively lessened those 'orrible overtones and got rid of the rattle at the nut, but had a weird side effect - at least to my weird ears anyway. J pickup still sounds fine, but as soon as the P pickup is brought in the lower notes on the E string are almost indistinguishable from each other. And even worse when soloed. No idea what that's all about

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1507841896' post='3388373']
What's the balance like between the P and the J?

Keep the cable tie on - it's doing something from the sound of it - and try lowering the bass side of the P pickup by a couple of mm
[/quote]

Hey Andy! Sorry for the delay, hectic couple of days at work!

I had a minor breakthrough this morning with it. I got frustrated with the lack of note definition on the E string, and it was making the G string sound funny (haha) so I took the cable tie off. Then I decided to see if it would work with the tie just on the E string and not the rest.

It definitely makes more of a difference, and the notes are more defined. However the string is not quite as bright now. Overall it sounds a lot better.

I also lowered the poles on the pickup under that string as well, and I think the combination of the two is much better!

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1507998570' post='3389265']

Hey Andy! Sorry for the delay, hectic couple of days at work!

I had a minor breakthrough this morning with it. I got frustrated with the lack of note definition on the E string, and it was making the G string sound funny (haha) so I took the cable tie off. Then I decided to see if it would work with the tie just on the E string and not the rest.

It definitely makes more of a difference, and the notes are more defined. However the string is not quite as bright now. Overall it sounds a lot better.

I also lowered the poles on the pickup under that string as well, and I think the combination of the two is much better!
[/quote]
Sounds like you are certainly getting closer to the issues :)

Well I'm very disappointed - I was off to see Jabba_the_gut this afternoon for him to have a look at this bass, and hopefully resolve the issue, but my partner has asked me to put the trip off for today. Winds are supposed to get up to 45 mph this afternoon and BBC weather has classified as a potential danger to live, so I'd be silly to go against her request really.

The bass is sitting by my desk at work, all packed up in its gig bag all ready to go and get fixed up - if it had feelings, it would probably be as bummed out as me at the moment :(

Edited by Evil Undead