Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Single Two 10 or 2 x One 10's

BarelyL4

just spotted this quote on the Barefaced FB page... might make the 210 more appealing to some people ... 'We've bloody done it! Switchable impedance Two10. 4 ohm when you're using it on its own, 12 ohm when you want to make a stack. Just flick the toggle switch on the back' !

I use my Two 10 with an Ashdown Retroglide 800 and because the amp uses graphic equalizer style controls it's easy to get a wide variety of sound out of the cab.
I went for the 4 ohm version on Alex's recommendation as my backup amp is a MarkBass Blackline 250.

[quote name='BarelyL4' timestamp='1507481656' post='3385760']
Hi Mike, that sounds like a great idea - given that, I live up near Stonehenge and I see that you are in Somerset, whereabouts roughly?
[/quote]

Taunton, not far from J25 M5 - pm me if that's any good to you. I've got 2 x One10s and a Super Compact Gen 3.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just picked up a used two 10 and it has a bit of the dreaded tolex peel.

I've searched here but can't find anything and the other bass forum mentions contact cement but a quick Google comes up with regular cement.

Does anyone have any advice about how to fix this? At the moment I'm thinking 3m 77 or 90 contact adhesive.

Cheers!

[quote name='colleya' timestamp='1509563161' post='3399966']
I've just picked up a used two 10 and it has a bit of the dreaded tolex peel.

I've searched here but can't find anything and the other bass forum mentions contact cement but a quick Google comes up with regular cement.

Does anyone have any advice about how to fix this? At the moment I'm thinking 3m 77 or 90 contact adhesive.

Cheers!
[/quote]

Contact Barefaced and they will send you some.

Speaking as 'im wot has had both a 110 and a 210 let me say the little guy is amazing. Featherweight and a lovely sound. When I bought it I went mad and bought a Vanderkley at the same time. The Vanderkley went and the 110 stayed. But, IMHO it ain't up to the demands of a big band, not really. Maybe two would be but that's getting pricey. The 2x10 is. I bought Lozz's and I've played the Dereham Blues Festival and small pub gigs and its barely stirred in its sleep. I love it to death, or I would if the tolex wasn't lifting and I hadn't got GAS for yellow speaker cones.

As one who owns both a One10 and a brace of Berg AE112s, and who likes a sound with a bit of bite to it for playing rock gigs, I wouldn't bother with the One10 for said rock gigs. I think it's a great cab but it doesn't have the same bite as a tweeter-equipped cab.

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1509816206' post='3401863']
Speaking as 'im wot has had both a 110 and a 210 let me say the little guy is amazing. Featherweight and a lovely sound. When I bought it I went mad and bought a Vanderkley at the same time. The Vanderkley went and the 110 stayed. But, IMHO it ain't up to the demands of a big band, not really. Maybe two would be but that's getting pricey. The 2x10 is. I bought Lozz's and I've played the Dereham Blues Festival and small pub gigs and its barely stirred in its sleep. I love it to death, or I would if the tolex wasn't lifting and I hadn't got GAS for yellow speaker cones.
[/quote]

Hey - that's really interesting feedback, particularly as you've owned all the cabs being discussed (and also have a LM2 which is pretty close for all intents and purposes to the LM3 sitting in my MarkBass combo). Which VK cab did you have and move on (was it one of the 1x12s?) - be interested why it didn't cut the mustard for you? When you're referring to 'GAS for yellow speakers cones' dunno if that was tongue in cheek or you're thinking of getting a Markbass cab (or something else) to replace your BF 210?

I've got 2 x One10s and a Super Compact G3. The SC has more 'bite' and would probably be my preference for a hard rock gig BUT the 10-inchers would be more than capable with the right amp, bass, and settings. I guess the thing is that you either want a tweeter or you don't.

Edited by scrumpymike

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, Radchenko said:

Hello, interesting topic.

Do you think is more loud and presence the two ten or the super compact please?. thank you.

Since nobody has responded, I'll chip in.. I have a pair of one10s and a BB2 which is like a Super Compact, but with a horn.

I'd say the pair of one10s have similar volume to the BB2 or Super Compact.  The BB2 has more "bite" even with the horn turned right off.

Not exactly what you asked but I hope it helps a little.

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All I can say is my two One10s have coped easily with a loud drummer and 50w of valve loving rock guitar player and pack away with my Minimax and associated cables etc into two well padded cajon carry bags which cost about half as much as a cover does.

My only complaint is I can't find which font the logo is because I wanted to make stickers and change it to read ' barearsed ' !

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Dr.Dave said:

All I can say is my two One10s have coped easily with a loud drummer and 50w of valve loving rock guitar player and pack away with my Minimax and associated cables etc into two well padded cajon carry bags which cost about half as much as a cover does.

My only complaint is I can't find which font the logo is because I wanted to make stickers and change it to read ' barearsed ' !

Thank you, can you put please a pic of your rig? With your setting 🙂

On 07/10/2017 at 15:02, Lozz196 said:

I had a Two10 (coupled with a Four10) and did find that I had to push the highs on my amp a fair whack to get the definition/edginess I wanted. So if your amp doesn`t do highs/definition very well then the BF Retro Series may not be the right range. For reference my tone is a bit like Duff McKagan/JJ Burnell, and I really had to push highs and high-mids to get anywhere near what I wanted. It`s why I moved them on in the end, however that was my fault, not the cabs, if I`d been doing anything else at all they would be pretty much perfect, but they are relaxed at the top-end.

I use a Squire/Glover-esque sound and can easily obtain it using a One10. My amps are Tech 21 VT500. But I’ve always eq-d fairly heavily. I generally dislike tweeters and prefer to eq in the highs. I always find tweeters add a brittleness that I don’t like. Of course YMMV.

Can testify that two One10’s are a great thing indeed.  More than enough low end and volume for most small/medium gigs.  I use them without PA support in a function band and have to turn down during soundcheck!  I wouldn’t try a rock/metal gig without a PA but then again I would try a 2x12 setup in the same circumstances either.

My recommendation is nothing to do with the fact I am selling a pair...😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/10/2017 at 16:21, BarelyL4 said:

Hi Lozz, that's interesting as that's the sort of tone that I am after - I currently run a MB LMII into a Berg 2x10, so I'm looking for a similar set-up but in a lighter package.

I found exactly the same thing , I ended up with two 12" Ashdown RM cabs & considerably cheaper .