Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Single Two 10 or 2 x One 10's

BarelyL4

Hi Guys, thinking of pulling the trigger on either a Barefaced Two 10 or 2 x One 10's - appreciate any thoughts that you may have on the subject. For reference, I play in a 3 piece rock covers band, (drummer is fairly loud), and I like to have a more "edgy" rock tone that I can hear. I play both finger & pic style and use a MB Little Mark amp. Btw, I also wear ear protection. Not looking to be stupidly loud, just nice defined bass tone that I / the audience can hear.

Cheers.

I say Two10 for the following reasons:

- You would likely need 2 speakers to get enough volume, and one Two10 is cheaper than two One10s.

- You get the most low end by putting the Two10 horizontally. But if you did the same arrangement with two One10s, you lose out on the trickery that the Two10 uses to low pass one of the drivers to reduce interference in the midrange, supposedly increasing dispersion and making your sound more even around the room.

- The Two10 can be carried with one hand, two One10s needs two hands! Handy if you want to do one trip from the car. On the other hand, two One10s would be a lot easier over longer distances.

• Like 1

I only have experience of the Two 10. Like you I'm in 3 piece and wear ear protection. I love my Two 10 and it sounds fantastic through my custom molded ER15's. It easy keeps up wit the band and I have had some great comments on my sound. I usually keep the cab vertical FWIW.

Edgy sound, loud drummer, pick, 4 ohm amp. . . . I'd also be looking at the 12" cabs, then again the best answer is probably don't ask us email Alex and ask him. He's pretty good at matching players requirements and his cabs.

What is your definition of loud? I use 2 Super Compacts in my [u]loud[/u] rock/blues band. If your pick playing means you want top end "bite" in your sound you may need the BB2's compression driver or SM's tweeter.

I absolutely love my One10 but would never consider gigging with even 2 of them in a rock band without a PA.

If I found myself in a rock band again with no PA then the only cab I would consider in the Barefaced range would be the Big Twin II or a combination of two of the smaller 12" cabs.

They are fantastic cabs and way louder than what you'd expect but 2x10"s against a rock drummer and guitarist I think would be pushing them too far

Edited by Delberthot

I have 2 x One10's and don't think you'll have any problems with either. I don't think a single One10 would cut it live, certainly in a rock band but I'm in a 5-piece wedding & function band, not overly loud but I never have a problem unless I'm standing right on top of the mini stack. I'm not sure how much "looks" matter to you, the Two10 stacked vertically has the badge the "wrong" way as it's meant to sit horizontal, whereas the 2 x One10 just looks right stacked.

I had a Two10 (coupled with a Four10) and did find that I had to push the highs on my amp a fair whack to get the definition/edginess I wanted. So if your amp doesn`t do highs/definition very well then the BF Retro Series may not be the right range. For reference my tone is a bit like Duff McKagan/JJ Burnell, and I really had to push highs and high-mids to get anywhere near what I wanted. It`s why I moved them on in the end, however that was my fault, not the cabs, if I`d been doing anything else at all they would be pretty much perfect, but they are relaxed at the top-end.

I don't play ten's but 12" drivers. For flexibility I haven chosen for two singles. At home or for practice I just need one but on gigs I take the two of them. Not always for volume reasons but also to get the fuller tone I like.
It's the more expensive solution I agree but then I don't buy amps or cabs every few years so I see it as a long term investment in my hobby.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1507367248' post='3384953']
I absolutely love my One10 but would never consider gigging with even 2 of them in a rock band without a PA.

If I found myself in a rock band again with no PA then the only cab I would consider in the Barefaced range would be the Big Twin II or a combination of two of the smaller 12" cabs.

They are fantastic cabs and way louder than what you'd expect but 2x10"s against a rock drummer and guitarist I think would be pushing them too far
[/quote]

I've gigged my Mesa 400+ through my BF Two10 with two loud guitarists and drummer in a metal/rock covers band and they asked me to turn down. The TWO10 will do the job. I also have a SIX10 and a BT2 and can confirm that the TWO10 eats it.

• Like 1

[quote name='BarelyL4' timestamp='1507389718' post='3385166']
I currently run a MB LMII into a Berg 2x10, so I'm looking for a similar set-up but in a lighter package.[/quote]

So your amp is putting 250 watts into your 8 ohm Berg 210. IMO the BF Two10 will easily outpace the Berg. You currently have a tweeter which you might miss, might not. That will depend on how much you use it.

I'd still email Alex.

[quote name='BarelyL4' timestamp='1507389718' post='3385166']
Hi Lozz, that's interesting as that's the sort of tone that I am after - I currently run a MB LMII into a Berg 2x10, so I'm looking for a similar set-up but in a lighter package.
[/quote]

For reference, the link below is my sound. Even putting my Precision/Sansamp through a Gallien Krueger (which have a fairly reknown clarity to them), I still had to really push the high-end to get this through the Retros, plus due to their softer/more rounded top-end, the gain didn`t really come through as well as I wanted. The Retros just softened the sound that little bit too much for me - essentially making a more Retro sound, whereas I needed more modern clarity/attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJMBJAK91M8

I have the 2 x One10's and use them in a similar setup, 3 piece band, noisy guitarist and a loud drummer. They work very well and I have no problem hearing myself or the band hearing me. I also use ear protection. The biggest plus for me having two cabs is the flexibility of being able to take just the one if thats all thats needed. Also, at 8ohms each, they are ideal extension cabs to other ( 8ohm) rigs if you need a bit of extra monitoring. If I remember right, the 2x10 is either 4ohm or 12ohms. If in any doubt I'd drop BF a note.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1507390215' post='3385177']
I noticed no lack of top end bite whatsoever when I demoed a Two10, although I did not try the BB2 to compare.
[/quote]

Me neither. They have plenty of treble if you want it, in fact I often turn down treble a bit and dial in the VLE filter a bit when using the LM3 with my pair of Two10s. I clearly aim for a different tone than the OP but I'd be surprised if he couldn't get what he wants, considering the players/sound mentioned.

I'd go for a Two10 over two One10. It's a cheaper option and I can't imagine playing with just a One10. It might be ok as a stage monitor but a Two10 is still pretty light and portable and much more capable than a single One10. A Two10 can be carried on one hand, while two One10 requires two, etc...

Simply, a Two10.
Or two Two10s ;)

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1507393518' post='3385211']
I've gigged my Mesa 400+ through my BF Two10 with two loud guitarists and drummer in a metal/rock covers band and they asked me to turn down. The TWO10 will do the job. I also have a SIX10 and a BT2 and can confirm that the TWO10 eats it.
[/quote]

Do you mean you were too loud onstage or too loud out front with the Two10?

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1507424892' post='3385416']

Do you mean you were too loud onstage or too loud out front with the Two10?
[/quote]

Both. The TWO10 (4 ohm setting) is like anyone else’s 4x10. It moves that much air.

I could easily be too loud with my Two10 as well. The guitarist with his 80w Marshall amp is always going through the PA, and bass drum too. I larger pubs we mic the drums overhead & I will DI for some FOH reinforcement. I have never turned my amp (TC Classic 450) past 4 and my sound cuts through just fine. Do not underesimate the power handling of these superb cabs.

[quote name='BarelyL4' timestamp='1507364268' post='3384934']
Hi Guys, thinking of pulling the trigger on either a Barefaced Two 10 or 2 x One 10's - appreciate any thoughts that you may have on the subject. For reference, I play in a 3 piece rock covers band, (drummer is fairly loud), and I like to have a more "edgy" rock tone that I can hear. I play both finger & pic style and use a MB Little Mark amp. Btw, I also wear ear protection. Not looking to be stupidly loud, just nice defined bass tone that I / the audience can hear.

Cheers.
[/quote]

Whereabouts do you live? There may well be BCers local to you who would let you try out your bass/amp thru their BF cab(s). In fact, I seem to remember that Alex at BF has a list of customers willing to do just that. You can only get so far with forum advice as there are just too many variables - not least what each of us considers to be a 'good sound'.