Why become a member? ×

Cab Conundrum...

JimBobTTD

I have an excellent GK amp - MB Fusion 500, with a valve preamp and SS power stage. It pumps out 500w at 4ohms. I have two 8 ohm GK cabs. The packet sounds great, but it takes up a lot of space at home. At the rehearsal place, I go through the PA. At gigs, there is a backline there with a DI. I have not used my amp in almost two years.

I want to sell the cabs for something lighter that would, ideally, take up less space.

I have also bought an Echolette BS40...an all-valve amp, 40 watts...a Fender Bassman clone, they say.

So...cab recommendations for something relatively lightweight that will sound good with a valve amp or the GK? 5 string. Mostly rock.

TKS are indeed an option. What is putting me off them, though, is that they say their cabs work best with "100-500w amps" or some such. This is a 40w valve amp...

I suppose that deep down I know that this is silly and that they will be perfectly fine, but if the maker himself states that it would not be optimal, something tells me that I should look elsewhere!

It depends on which of the TKS range you go for. My 1126 would never be giggable with 40w as the drivers take quite a lot of power to get the best out of them. However, I know that the drivers in the S112 cabs are more sensitive and may therefore be a better choice.

I would +1 the suggestion of Barefaced too as they are known to use sensitive drivers and are also notoriously lightweight.

Get in touch with Mcnach on this forum, he has owned TKS S112 cabs in the past, as well as Barefaced Big Baby 2s. He's currently running a pair of Barefaced 210s so he will be able to give you the best comparison of them all.

I used to have a couple of the GK Neo 112-ii cabs which were great, nice tone, lightweight & well built. GAS got the better of me, or I'd probably still have them. Now I have a couple of the Barefaced One10's and wouldn't argue against these or a Two10 as an option too.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1507905664' post='3388743']
Thanks for the tips, gents. Barefaced are certainly on the list...but they are painfully pricey!
[/quote]

Are they?

BF Two10 £519, Vanderkley MNT210 £725, Eich 210M £799

BF Super Compact, £569 Aguilar DB112 £709, Mesa Boogie Subway 112 £799

BF might cost more than cheap cabs but they are very reasonably priced in comparison to the quality cab league.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1507906591' post='3388748']

Are they?

BF Two10 £519, Vanderkley MNT210 £725, Eich 210M £799

BF Super Compact, £569 Aguilar DB112 £709, Mesa Boogie Subway 112 £799

BF might cost more than cheap cabs but they are very reasonably priced in comparison to the quality cab league.
[/quote]

+1.

Oh and of course the Darkglass 210 at over £900. Lest we forget.

I haven't used the TKS cabs themselves, but I have some experience with the driver used in the S112 and S212 and I have an 80 watt Dynacord valve amp I bring out sometimes. I think either the S212 or a pair of S112 would be a nice combination with the Echolette - they should have reasonable efficiency (or about as good as you'll get without going for something huge) and a voicing that works well with an old-school valve amp, but you would need to determine whether they would meet your needs for volume and low end output with the GK.