Why become a member? ×

Scott Devine copies Lozz196

TheGreek

[size=5]BC shows the way!![/size]

Scott's latest video is a P bass test. BC's own Lozz196 did the same test at the Herts Bash in 2014:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/238458-herts-bash-2-the-precision-test/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=51F3S4NVLmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nErSnkE3TxM&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=email-broadcast&utm_campaign=yt-lesson-061017&utm_medium=email&utm_content=p-bass-battle&utm_term=existing-list

BC showing the way!!

Those P basses sound absolutely dreadful. He's been playing nothing but P basses for a couple of weeks now.

You're right in saying he has gone 'full YouTube'. It seems like his channel is focused more and more on naff rubbish. A definite attempt to 'dumb down'. I used to really enjoy his output.

I've ended up blocking him on Facebook - took a few attempts to swat every different thing he seemed to be using to try and get to me. Definitely lost me as a potential customer to his programme because I have no desire to be inundated with push notifications of every little thing that he outputs.

I've only recently started following scott, I've actually signed up to the academy when the offer came through by e-mail. My issue is i'm getting constant spam e-mails from a chap from leeds:

"This is totally awesome"
"We've got an amazing community"
"Take your playing to the next level"
"Super excited to have you join our team"

etc, etc

As an adopted yorkshireman, I'd prefer just a quick note once a week which reads: "ey up lad, this weeks content is reight. have a gander ...." and none of all this american styled propaganda.

Completely satisfied with the academy so far though. I'm just going to have to set an auto junk rule on his e-mails.

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1507320952' post='3384822']
I've only recently started following scott, I've actually signed up to the academy when the offer came through by e-mail. My issue is i'm getting constant spam e-mails from a chap from leeds:

"This is totally awesome"
"We've got an amazing community"
"Take your playing to the next level"
"Super excited to have you join our team"

etc, etc

As an adopted yorkshireman, I'd prefer just a quick note once a week which reads: "ey up lad, this weeks content is reight. have a gander ...." and none of all this american styled propaganda.

Completely satisfied with the academy so far though. I'm just going to have to set an auto junk rule on his e-mails.
[/quote]

I don't have an axe to grind as far as Scott is concerned but you can see how the *youtube channel promotion machine" is influencing his output; like many other youtubers. Obviously there are huge amounts of money to be made and why shouldn't he? :)

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1507322188' post='3384828']
I don't have an axe to grind as far as Scott is concerned but you can see how the *youtube channel promotion machine" is influencing his output; like many other youtubers. Obviously there are huge amounts of money to be made and why shouldn't he? :)
[/quote]

Fair play to the guy, I couldn't do it. For me, it's the constant barrage of e-mails and americanisms that let the product down for me. I'm one of those miserable sods who gets annoyed by people who are always happy! I've learned so much already from the academy. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. As a businessman and a bassist, he is an inspiring individual.

My membership expired a good many months ago but I still get pretty much daily emails from SBL. I don't mind it as I intend to renew at some point. Not on the Facebook mailing list though, that would annoy me a bit. I can't really begrudge the americanisms though, especially considering the majority of SBL subscribers are in the States!

I quite like Scott when he isn't in "full promo" mode, some of his lessons do have some genuinely useful content. For someone who could lay his hands on just about about any bass he could imagine, his obsession with P basses does make listening to his content a wearing.

He pretty much lost me after that '5 reasons not to play a 5 string' video, which actually a video about why he plays a five string.

One of the reasons given to use a five string is that you 'need' a five string to reach a low E flat when playing a lot of classic rock and Motown stuff, irrespective of the fact that most of the said bass lines were recorded on a four string bass just tuned to E flat.

Most of reasons against playing a five were along the lines of 'it's a bit different' and 'it might take some work to get the hang of it.' The level of insight was frankly amazing.

If I'm looking on YouTube to pick up a technique, I will look elsewhere for a less click baity alternative. There are hundreds of great YouTube bassists and guitarists about.

I find these days the only SBL vids I watch are those with other bassist in as they are much more interesting!

I learnt to set the email filter to spam as soon as I joined the Academy.

For what it's worth, I LOVE P basses, I don't quite get the hate/discontent with those above over Scott's bass choice!

Given much of his promo stuff for bespoke straps and even the courses is priced in $, he's obviously pitching to the vast US market, I watched one episode where he rented a loft in Manhattan for a week and got lots of top US Bassists down to do some lessons...In the meantime we were regaled by tales of how his luggage had been lost.

In the end I get impatient with his stuff and find myself yelling 'get to the point Scott'. He's a nice chap, we had him seminaring at a Bass Bash long before the LBGS! (sorry had to get that one in!)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1507376053' post='3385027']
I started this as a bit of fun...it's turned into a Scott Bashing thread. :angry: :angry:

Come on fellas, most of us have got something from his videos (for free) - he's in business, let the man make some money without getting slagged off...
[/quote]

Agree - working class lad made good.

I've been living in Manhattan fir the past 3 months and I can fully understand how the way scott endlessly sells himself and his product goes down better over here. The level of advertising and marketing over here is on another level to what us simple folk are used to.The american market is a lot more accustomed to being hit in the face with high frequency advertisements and product placements. To be honest, scotts self promotion is very modest compared to some of the stuff you see over here.

He is obviously a very smart businessman and understands that the american market is a lot bigger than the UK hence his business model and production values are geared towards americans. I would imagine that american production values are more transferable internationally than the more modest british approach.