Why become a member? ×

Mac suitable for A Level Music Tech and then Uni

franzbassist

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1509541431' post='3399742']

USB3 is old tech. You won't be seeing it on any new Apple products.
[/quote]

The problem I see is that while USB C and Thunderbolt may be the future, they sure aren’t the standard yet. And I realize Audio pros make up such a tiny fraction of Apple’s market that they don’t even care if we’re alienated by way of connectors and overpriced dongles.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1507283779' post='3384455']
Hello folks

My daughter is just starting A Level Music Tech, with a view to going on to uni to study something similar - she has her eye on Music and Sound Recording at York at the moment.

She's been told to think about getting a Macbook running Logic Pro, but new prices are crazy, so I was wondering which older models folk would recommend, and where decent used Macs might be found? Condition is less important than performance in this instance.

Should add that I work in a Uni myself and qualify for the Apple discount, but even then a new basic Pro is coming in at £1124 and an Air at £854!

Thanks

Gareth
[/quote]

I would look for second hand macbook with [i]at least[/i] 1 year of Apple care left on it, which means it will be less than 2 years old (3yr Applecare). I wouldn't buy secondhand otherwise personally. Macs are annoyingly expensive to buy and fix and they do break. Unless it's a 100% requirement I would say hold off buying anything for the meantime and see what will be genuinely useful as the course progresses - eg. a large screened iMac is miles easier to use Logic on if you don't need portability, or alternatively there are some amazing music apps for iPads which might be as useful, although they are a bit of a different animal!