Why become a member? ×

Big baby 2 vs supercompact

Radchenko

Hello.

What do you think is better as a standalone cab please?. I like the supercompact that I have but I need only a little bit more 'air'. The cab is really loud but I want a piece of more presence.

Thank you.

Edited by Radchenko

I`d message Alex direct, he`s incredibly helpful and providing your explanation of needs is clear, he`ll recommend the right cab from his range for you, not based on cost or profit, but for customer satisfaction. It`s why BF are such a great company, a good bass-player at the helm (rather like many bands really).

Well if by "presence" you mean higher frequencies then the BB2 has a high frequency driver that the SC doesn't, so it's capable of much more treble output. There's a knob on the back of th BB2 to adjust the crossover point for the high end driver so you can get the BB2 to sound similar to an SC. So you can have the best of both worlds there. You won't be able to get an SC to sound like a BB2 though, which might be something to consider.

Alex is indeed the man to ask though. He's very helpful.

If you already have an SC and want more sound, tone, "air" (what ever that means) in a single cab I'd get the BB2.

The BB2 has more of everything, highs, lows, "presence", the lot.

If you are insistent on a single, small cab, the BB2 is the only one I know that would do the job.

The 12" driver is the same in both cab's so each one should be capable of moving the same volume of air (unless the slightly different BB2 enclosure makes a difference - ask Alex). It really depends on whether you want the different high-frequency response offered by the BB2. In any case, if you are not quite happy with what you have, you need to find a cab that suits you better - from BF or another manufacturer.

Sorry for my English :-). When I said "presence" I'm refering not enough "dispersion" of the sound. The volume-size of the cab:
Sc:56*44*30
Bb2:56*45*37
It can be the difference between good presence with the band or not? Battery-2guitars-singer

Sc is loud, this is not the problem managing 300 watts

Thank you.

Yes, Thanks for all your responses. This is What Alex said to me:

The Super Compact will go as loud as the original Compact if you use a more powerful amp. The Big Baby 2 is no louder than the Super Compact.
The big baby 2 is larger so it can go lower. Super Compact is a standalone solution for many bassists, particularly anyone who used to use an original Compact.

The Puma 500 isn't a very powerful head.
---------------
I though that big baby 2 can manage more watts...

[quote name='Radchenko' timestamp='1507323758' post='3384844']
Yes, Thanks for all your responses. This is What Alex said to me:

The Super Compact will go as loud as the original Compact if you use a more powerful amp. The Big Baby 2 is no louder than the Super Compact.
The big baby 2 is larger so it can go lower. Super Compact is a standalone solution for many bassists, particularly anyone who used to use an original Compact.

The Puma 500 isn't a very powerful head.
---------------
I though that big baby 2 can manage more watts...
[/quote]

I haven't checked but both cabs use the same driver. They may be rated differently because of how the enclosure affects its behaviour, but I doubt that any difference in watts rating can be taken as meaning it'll be louder. The BB2 is bigger and likely has more lows, bu that's probably about it. I had two BB2 and there is a LOT of lows in those cabs. If you have a SC already, I'd probably just buy another one (if you like its sound) and with the two cabs you'll have an awesome rig. You'll definitely have more noticeable 'oomph'. A single BB2 may be deeper in sound but I doubt you'll find it enough to be worth the change from SC to BB2.
Use two cabs. Or something like a Big Twin.

[quote name='Radchenko' timestamp='1507484627' post='3385791']
Yes I like the sound of sc. But Maybe this more lowers of bb2 are What I need to perceive more headroom and presence without loosing clarito and punch?

Thanks
[/quote]

I don't think that using a single BB2 will give you what you're after. Yes it does go a bit deeper but...

[quote name='Radchenko' timestamp='1507279575' post='3384401']I like the supercompact that I Have but I need only a little bit more 'air'. The cab is really loud but I want a piece of presence more.

Thank you.
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1507284656' post='3384465']
If you already have an SC and want more sound, tone, "air" (what ever that means)
[/quote]

My guess is that the OP would like to "move more air"? Maybe the same tone, but more of it...? :)

Rather than the cab being the issue I would say perhaps it is the amp that is letting the side down? Try an old school amp with 'heft', perhaps - Trace Elliot, Peavey, Ashdown ABM etc. I use a Supercompact with a Trace Elliot head and it has balls to spare.

Edited by Paul S

I Have Also a tecamp puma 900 and a mesa boogie 800.
The "problem" is not the volume, it sound Very Loud including the puma 500
My point is if the bb2 can give as presence as the compact 15 give for example.

What is the middle point between the clear and nice sound of the sc and the headroom of the compact?

[quote name='Radchenko' timestamp='1507556023' post='3386305']
My point is if the bb2 can give as presence as the compact 15 give for example.
[/quote]

The "Compact" has a fifteen inch driver, but the Supercompact has a twelve... they are different cabinets.