Why become a member? ×

Bass playing as a chill out & stress relief..

silverfoxnik

I only properly started bass recently when my ex fiancee left me. Lots more time on my hands to do the things i want- and my problems dwindle to oblivion when i'm playing. I mainly work nights and often have a couple of cans and a play at about 7 in the morning for an hour or so before bed- can't get more chilled than that :huh: Bass is a great healer :) (as is a younger bird with larger frontage)

[quote name='Galilee' post='324518' date='Nov 7 2008, 09:30 PM']Okay, a serious response.

No, it's not a reliable form of stress relief for me. Sometimes, if it's going well, then it relieves stress. At other times, it makes me angry beyond words. I have been close to throwing £1,000 worth of bass guitar across the room many, many times.[/quote]

Ive been there.
sometimes im so stressed with work I get home and crank the amp up and expect to play everything perfect without warming up. I get stressed further after 5 mins and wanna throw it. I usually just turn the amp up louder for 5 mins in hope the annoying neighbours I have will get pissed off which makes me smile a little so I put it back down carefully.

But some times I get home stressed, pick it up and its beautiful, give it half an hour and im de-stressed and smiling.

• 3 weeks later...

My bass is on a wall hanger by the bed. I have two kids (4 and 14) and the elder is a bassist and violininst. He gets to practice a lot more than me!

I find practicing very calming, but rarely get to do more than grab 5 or 10 mins whenever I get a chance to stand by my bass. Helps stop me go totally rusty.

My partner loves having me play bass, I just rarely get to plug it in (its a PIA to set my rig up for anything less than a full practice session IMO)

A long time ago practicing and not being able to get something right used to drive me into a rage, now I'm just happy to be playing!

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='325981' date='Nov 10 2008, 03:19 PM']Hmmm....back to the beginning for me then.[/quote]

Get the Ed Friedland books, Constructing Walking Bass Lines and Constructing Rock Bass Lines. Both come with CD's so you can rip them to your Tascam, read the tuition and play to it.

Worked wonders for me, and if yopu've got headphones you don't disturb anybody.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Dan_Q' post='327135' date='Nov 11 2008, 10:04 PM']I only properly started bass recently when my ex fiancee left me. Lots more time on my hands to do the things i want- and my problems dwindle to oblivion when i'm playing. I mainly work nights and often have a couple of cans and a play at about 7 in the morning for an hour or so before bed- can't get more chilled than that :huh: Bass is a great healer :) (as is a younger bird with larger frontage)[/quote]

Hiya

In time you'll see this as the best thing that ever happened. Splitting up (regardless of who walks) is a surefire way to see how oppressed your musical freedom can get, not just playing but also listening!

The freedom to play music on your own terms, can't be beaten.

It is truly my therapy and has saved my sanity on many occasions!

Regards

AM

Edited by AM1

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='324435' date='Nov 7 2008, 07:33 PM']Hi Folks,

It's been a busy week (as per usual) and sometimes when it all gets too stressful, the first thing I think of when going home that I know will chill me out is picking up a bass and having a noodle around for half an hour!

But it doesn't usually pan out that way because the first thing that happens when I walk through the door is kids/family mayhem etc, etc, and quite rightly so as they come first. Which means I tend to skulk around much later on practicing the bass with the headphones on, which is never quite the same thing.

Is it just me with this scenario or does this sound all too familiar to anyone else??

Nik[/quote]
I could very well write that my self.
My advantages are that I don't have a Bass amp right now ( I been playing on my Valvestite, something that survived my one destruction rampage few months back) and the combination of that amp with my headphones makes it sound awesome, so I don't mind playing with headphones. Mad init?
My other advantage is that I can pick up a bass line from a song and play it within only a couple of tries, so if I don't feel creative I can rely on that, and the satisfaction factor is awesome, so I do relax my self, the only problem is that sometimes I get too excited, lol, so instead of relaxing I get all excited and I want to play loud, witch brings frustration to the equation.
Playing “shoot 'em up” games on multiplayer is less frustrating, LOL.

I'm the same as a few BC'ers on here.
I dont have kids but i have a partner that hates the sound of a bass guitar, personally i couldn't care less what my partner thinks of my bass playing and i've told her enough times.
I love picking up my bass because i feel comfortable with it and it makes me feel happy and as far as i'm concerned thats all that matters.
If your partners are not happy with it then tough s**t on your partner, i dont moan about my partners hobby of brand gear ( seriously) so bollocks to her.