Why become a member? ×

ACG 6 string Finn SC Classic

eude

Yup, I’ve got another ACG in the making!

My first ACG, the one that got away, I still miss, a lot.
This one...

Now I’m older with more experience of what I want/need in an instrument, as much as I miss it, it wouldn’t get played as much as it deserves.
Over the years, I’ve figured out that I prefer a 6 string over a 5, that I’m not that keen on the sound of Swamp Ash, and that I love 31.5” scale!

So, I’ve ordered a bass from ACG that pays homage to my first ACG, but updated to what I want from a bass now.

So here’s the spec

ACG Finn SC Classic
6 string
31.5” scale tuned B to C
Black Limba Body
3 piece Wenge Neck with Wenge headstock front and back plates
Pau Ferro Fingerboard (thinking about adding in black dot inlays here, or maybe single black block at the 12th fret, although I might just buy one of those realistic stick on ones from Jockomo)
Bolt-on construction
ACG RFB Pickup in 50mm in MM location with coil switching
East Uni-pre preamp
Black hardware including Hipshot B type bridge and Gotoh Resolite tuners

And that’s it, nice and simple, bit of a work horse for me, plus the pickup location and wood combination will offer a very different voice to my other 6 string.

Things are already under way, so here’s some pics >>

The Black Limba

The body is now cut out

Here’s the neck and fingerboard

More to follow soon, hopefully…

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1507541035' post='3386084']
Can't wait to see this one develop.
I had the original Finn mentioned above from Ewan, however got sold when I was funding my Fodera purchase.....think it went north Wales way.

Si
[/quote]

I certainly do miss that bass, but I'm ultra mega excited about getting it back, in a spiritual sense, but tweaked to what I need/want now.
It's all very exciting!

Eude

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

That headstock is stunning.  Is that a veneer?  It looks like it's a cross cut.  Did I say it looks stunning?

It is a veneer yes, and I think you're right about it being cross cut, but Alan is the man to ask about that.

Very chuffed with how this is turning out!

Eude

• 4 months later...
37 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

That headstock - to quote the annoying hose of Triple D - is Out of Bounds!!

1 Pickup - 4 knobs and a switch?! Does it make toast?

Not a switch, will be a 'Low Battery' LED indicator :). So one pickup, volume knob, filter preamp. Done :)

Si

Actually, it's going to have an East Uni-pre 4k this one, and there is a switch, for Series/Parallel/Single Coil operation of the RFB pickup.
Toast? I'm not sure, but often, the RFB pickups in Series are pokey enough to scorch a bran muffin at 10 paces... ;)

Eude

1 minute ago, eude said:

Actually, it's going to have an East Uni-pre 4k this one, and there is a switch, for Series/Parallel/Single Coil operation of the RFB pickup.
Toast? I'm not sure, but often, the RFB pickups in Series are pokey enough to scorch a bran muffin at 10 paces... ;)

Eude

I stand corrected :)

Si

4 minutes ago, eude said:

...Toast? I'm not sure, but often, the RFB pickups in Series are pokey enough to scorch a bran muffin at 10 paces... ;)

Eude

I must get a pair of those RFB pickups and permanently wire them in series.  Currently, the only means I have of scorching a bran muffin is by bending over in front of one and lighting a match near my anus.

Just for clarity:

"AC RFB Humbucker:
This wide aperture humbucking pickup provides a more aggressive, darker tone, with a lot punch and a smoother high end when compared to the more modern hifi tone of our FB pickup.
A great choice for a powerful rock or extremely punchy funk tone, anything where you really want to be noticed. The pickup can be wound in series mode for a serious amount of low mid punch or parallel for pronounced mid range clarity. It can also be combined with a 3 way switch to allow access to series, parallel and single coil mode making for an incredibly versatile setup, a great choice for a single pickup bass, or in combination with any other pickup for a veritable Swiss Army knife of an instrument.
RFB Pickups are available in 40mm or 50mm casings, however we recommend 50mm casings to get the best from the design."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

I must get a pair of those RFB pickups and permanently wire them in series.  Currently, the only means I have of scorching a bran muffin is by bending over in front of one and lighting a match near my anus.

Just for clarity:

"AC RFB Humbucker:
This wide aperture humbucking pickup provides a more aggressive, darker tone, with a lot punch and a smoother high end when compared to the more modern hifi tone of our FB pickup.
A great choice for a powerful rock or extremely punchy funk tone, anything where you really want to be noticed. The pickup can be wound in series mode for a serious amount of low mid punch or parallel for pronounced mid range clarity. It can also be combined with a 3 way switch to allow access to series, parallel and single coil mode making for an incredibly versatile setup, a great choice for a single pickup bass, or in combination with any other pickup for a veritable Swiss Army knife of an instrument.
RFB Pickups are available in 40mm or 50mm casings, however we recommend 50mm casings to get the best from the design."

Ha ha, I certainly can't endorse such activities, but I certainly can doff my cap!

4 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Risky if you got a blowback. You'd have nothing to talk out of    

:crazy:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this little puppy arrived last week...

04.jpg

As I'm sure you can expect, I'm beyond delighted with it! It's exactly as I'd hoped, and so so compact and playable.
I'll have to try and get a picture of it alongside a full sized Jazz Bass for reference. My other basses are both 31.5" 6 strings too, but they're headless, so even smaller as a result...

As I hinted at, this bass is intended to be a bit of a homecoming, based on my first ACG but tweaked to match my now more refined and elegant tastes, and it's hit the spot perfectly :)

More soon, and some proper pics taken in daylight, and maybe even some sound samples!

Eude

• Like 3