Why become a member? ×

ACG 6 string. Fretless? Short scale?! Headless??!!

eude

It’s no secret I’m a massive fan of ACG basses, having played nothing but for several years now, and I can’t think of a situation where that would ever change now.
Being of smaller stature, I was so happy to discover 33” scale basses many moons ago, however fast forward a few years, and I’m now the extremely happy owner of a 31.5” scale ACG Salace SC E Type Headless 6.

Plenty of folks out there would immediately discount a short(er) scale 6 string bass, or assume that it didn’t have a low B string, but mine does and it sounds brilliant!

Check it out! (Apologies for the playing…)
[url="https://soundcloud.com/eudeboy/sets/acg-salace-sc-e-type-samples"]https://soundcloud.c...-e-type-samples[/url]

As a result of the success of this bass, I’m moving from 33” to 31.5” basses permanently. I should probably do a retrospective build diary for this little beauty too.

The first step involved selling my beloved ACG Finn SC Classic Fretless 5, which was a 33” scale. After that bird flew the nest I was able to order a more suitable replacement, a 6 string, fretless, short scale headless!

I decided to go with the following spec:

ACG Krell SC E Type
6 string
31.5” scale tuned B to C
White Limba Body
Fractal Birch Top with a Purpleheart Veneer
Wenge/Purpleheart/Wenge Neck
Macassar Ebony Fingerboard with mixed Pear and Purpleheart lines
Set neck construction
ACG RFB Pickups in 40mm casings
ACG DFM Filter Preamp
Black hardware including ETS headless tuning gear

Here’s the wood pile >>

OK, seeing as it’s been several months since the build started, so here’s the bass in progress, in chronological order >>

One of the reasons for this thread is, I’ve noticed a distinct lack in build threads lately, so I’ve pulled all this together, and as the bass is nearly finished, there’ll be a lovely update to this very soon without all the usual wait associated with build threads!

Next step is to sell my remaining 33” 5er, as I have another ACG on the way, Ill start a build thread for that one too :)

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

I love Alan's work however I don't think that ACG get the real recognition they deserve. Great basses with (oh so playable)asymmetric necks, always lovely timbers and some of the best pick ups and pre-amps on the market. Long may he live!!

I really like the top on this but IMO I think that there's too many materials in the palette. Would have liked to have seen a plain Ebony fretboard (which would have shown the mixed lines off) and replaced the Wenge for Ebony/Purpleheart in the neck which, again only IMO, would have matched the body better. Sometimes less is more.

ATEOTD it's for playing, not just for looking at and as long as it does what you want from it then my opinion is just that.

Hope you enjoy the bass.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1507234086' post='3384179']
I love Alan's work however I don't think that ACG get the real recognition they deserve. Great basses with (oh so playable)asymmetric necks, always lovely timbers and some of the best pick ups and pre-amps on the market. Long may he live!!

I really like the top on this but IMO I think that there's too many materials in the palette. Would have liked to have seen a plain Ebony fretboard (which would have shown the mixed lines off) and replaced the Wenge for Ebony/Purpleheart in the neck which, again only IMO, would have matched the body better. Sometimes less is more.

ATEOTD it's for playing, not just for looking at and as long as it does what you want from it then my opinion is just that.

Hope you enjoy the bass.
[/quote]

I'd actually picked it all out with a different top in mind, then Alan threw it in the mix.
It was meant to have a simpler darker top.
Anyway, I'm very happy with how it's turned out, it's busy but hopefully it will distract from my playing ;)

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1507273035' post='3384343']
Nice job there Mr eude. I am also a fan of Alan's short scale basses having a 30.5" 4 string Skelf.
[/quote]

He does make exceedingly good basses, the short scales especially!

Which Skelf 4 do you have?

Eude

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1507541120' post='3386085']
This and the Ebony headless Krell SC he's building are the ones I'm looking forward to seeing finished the most!!

Si
[/quote]

Cheers Si.
I'm counting the weeks of not days now, it's not far off at all!

Eude

• 2 weeks later...

That's quite a nice tint in the top. It makes it look like an expensive cake with marbled icing, perfectly applied. I want to take a big big bite.

Tasteful in more ways than one. The sound on this has much to live up to but I have every confidence in your ability seeing what you've done so far.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1508419219' post='3392062']
That's quite a nice tint in the top. It makes it look like an expensive cake with marbled icing, perfectly applied. I want to take a big big bite.

Tasteful in more ways than one. The sound on this has much to live up to but I have every confidence in your ability seeing what you've done so far.
[/quote]

Thank you mate, there's no tint, it's just how the top comes out!
Glad you like it though, and I'm sure it'll sound lovely, Alan is a true master of his craft.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1508431250' post='3392179']
More I see it the more I like it.....Spondonbassed's comment about the icing on a cake is spot on...
[/quote]

It does look rather tasty, I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on it, hopefully next week!

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1508435185' post='3392223']
This is gonna be a cracker!
[/quote]

But of course ;)

Eude

This bass [size=6][b]REALLY[/b][/size] is the best bass I have ever played, never mind owned.
I can't get enough of it!
The craftsmanship is sublime and the sound is absolutely incredible!
There's some kind of magic as a result of the wood combination, and the low B on this thing is ridiculous, especially considering it's 31.5" scale length!

The top, I know very little about, the words "Fractal Birch" and an accompanying picture was all I needed to make my choose it for this bass.
Alan at ACG seems to be able to get his hands on very unique materials, there's also Fractal Ebony, and Fractal Walnut too. Probably some kind of Voodoo I expect...

There will definitely be some sound samples appearing as soon as I'm able... and more pics :gas:

Eude