Why become a member? ×

Hi from Birmingham

XoSo

Hi Guys

Thanks for accepting me to your group. I'm a 58 year old who played bass (very badly) in a band nearly 40 years ago. Since then I've kept an interest in guitar as well as dipping in and our of other instruments such as piano and saxophone but never really thought to pick up bass again. I suppose the reason being is I only ever played it in a band before out of necessity because we didn't have a bassist and the other guitarist was way better than me. Don't get upset with me but for many years I never really thought of it as an instrument that I could get much out of as a solo instrument just noodling in my music room which is pretty much all I intend to do now - I'm too old to get into bands again (but hey maybe I'm not If I meet enough like minded old codgers out there who want to learn together that might change). But lately I've got to thinking I want a fresh challenge to learn something new and I've always loved bass (Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorious were big heroes) and it seems to me there is so much more opportunity to do things with bass these days that didn't exist 40 years ago - bass backing tracks for one but I also like the idea of picking up a bass semi acoustic or even a full acoustic - I don't know, all I know is I find the new journey I'm about to take very exciting. So for all the guys out there who play bass at home who are not in bands, how do you enjoy your bass? I've a ton of other questions I'd like to ask but I'll read through a lot of old posts first because I'm sure most of mine have already been asked. One question I do have though - I'm currently playing on a Stingray copy by Vintage that I picked up a few years ago (for no other reason than it was cheap and I've always liked the look of Stingrays). I'd never really paid much attention to it until now but now that I've started playing it I find the neck to be a real handful (I only have medium sized hands) - Is this a characteristic of proper music man stingrays or just the way Vintage make them - I'm thinking I may swap to a Jazz bass. I promised myself I wouldn't get Bass Guitar GAS by I'm seriously tempted by the Fender Flea Jazz Bass (Not a Flea fan or of roadworn finishes but I do love a shell pink guitar).

Chris