Why become a member? ×

Your first ever gig

interpol52

Long time ago now but here goes :-

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Location/Venue: Ex-school disco (i had left school but guitarist was still there)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Your age: 17[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Year: 1977[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Your bass: Columbas Jazz[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Your amp: Sound City head and 2x12 cab[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The set list (some of it): Ships In The Night by Be-Bop Deluxe, Rocking all over the World by Status Quo, probably a Deep Purple song ?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Dave[/font][/color]

A WMC in Bradford , think it was called the Thornhill or Thornton Labour club. 1979 and I was 17.

1973 Fender Precision that I'd bought late in 78 for £150 - took me months to save for it on my trainee wages. Still gigging with it.

Marshall 50w valve head - think it was a JTM 45. 1x15 and 1x12 cabs my Dad made for me.

Thin Lizzy , UFO , AC DC stuff plus some originals.

There was a stripper on before us. Well dirty. Coke bottles , the works. I went in the dressing room after her spot and she was stark naked , she grabbed a towel and covered up ( I could never figure out why after what she'd just been doing ). Anyway I was so gobsmacked all I could think to say was 'We've got a towel like that at home' !

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1507580514' post='3386567']
A WMC in Bradford , think it was called the Thornhill or Thornton Labour club. 1979 and I was 17.

1973 Fender Precision that I'd bought late in 78 for £150 - took me months to save for it on my trainee wages. Still gigging with it.

Marshall 50w valve head - think it was a JTM 45. 1x15 and 1x12 cabs my Dad made for me.

Thin Lizzy , UFO , AC DC stuff plus some originals.

There was a stripper on before us. Well dirty. Coke bottles , the works. I went in the dressing room after her spot and she was stark naked , she grabbed a towel and covered up ( I could never figure out why after what she'd just been doing ). Anyway I was so gobsmacked all I could think to say was 'We've got a towel like that at home' !
[/quote]
Thornton Labour Club - remember it well...!

Hello all,
And well at 61 now it wasn't really my first gig ever but did rather feel like it, as a couple of days ago my daughter filmed me doing my latest song in my workshop studio on bass with foot drums... ie. Roland bass drum pedal and a conventional high hat.
I used a Keiper bass from my ebay shop and warbled my way through the song a bit like a kid playing his first live gig.
Just in case you fancy seeing the youtube clip, this is the youtube link, or if it doesn't work type in "bass and drums: A night in Langney".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGss0pRE9yU&t=194s

Thanks,
Mark...............

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1507330699' post='3384882']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Location/Venue:[/b] The Morden Tavern, Surrey August 1986.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Your age:[/b] 21[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Your bass:[/b] Ibanez RB750[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Your amp:[/b] Carlsbro Cobra 90 combo[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]The set list (some of it):[/b] Urban Clearway originals + Johnny B. Goode[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Anything else that might be funny/interesting/embarrassing.[/b] Was a long time ago, didn't drink anything for ages before the set (which was about 45 mins long) at a 21st birthday bash. Guitarist managed to break strings on two guitars, think he finished the gig with only 5 strings on a Yamaha strat copy.[/font][/color]
[/quote]Hello,
And two little links to your post there... first that I still use a Cobra 90 combo to this day... but more, that although I had never heard of them before, or since for that matter, I saw Urban Clearway play at Ewell Tech with another band called Tunnel House... both good bands too!
Cheers,
Mark.....................

[quote name='Mark D Phillips' timestamp='1507716757' post='3387383']...
So if I make another clip what should I be looking to do differently?...
[/quote]

Stop singing..? :huh:

:lol: :P

No, seriously... For posting Youtube, embedded into a BC post, no special knowledge is needed; it's very easy. When on the Youtube page where the clip is, there is a button labelled 'Share' (just below the picture, on the right, on my browser...). Clicking that 'Share' button brings up a box with the link to the clip; it's handily pre-selected, so a simple 'Ctrl-C' (or Mac equivalent...) will copy the link to the clipboard.
Go to the BC post, and place the cursor where the Youtube is to be seen, and 'paste' the link from the clipboard into the text being edited.
Now comes the 'clever' part. The link always begins with 'https'. It's the 's' that frigs things up; it needs to be removed. That's handy, as it only needs editing out, and we're already editing our post..! Remove, then, the 's' from 'https' and the job's done..! When the post is finished and posted, the Youtube will be visible, ready to be played when selected.
There; that was easy, wasn't it..? Try it and see..? ;)
Hope this helps.

Prince Consort Club, Ryde IOW 1978 Im 18.

Junk shop Columbus Jazz going through, and here's the best bit...the main acts Orange 2x15 bin and 120 head.

Our lead singer, lovely girl disappears and comes back with us ready to go in fishnets, her blokes white shirt and not much else!....gawd..didnt know where to look..ha

Denni Denni, Rezillos etc etc...it was terrifyng with the crowd stood 3" away and I was so nervous I could barely play a right note .....happy days.

• 1 month later...

This'll be for my first ever gig on bass. I'd played a few on guitar before this but nothing I'd chalk down as 'serious'

Date: September 2015

Location: Temple of Boom, Stourbridge, UK. This was actually our rehearsal room at the time, which occasionally gets opened up for BYOB parties with live bands. 

Bass: Yamaha TRBX304. Before this point, I was using my friend's dad's old Aria bass. I'm not convinced the strings had ever been changed and it was like playing razor wire. I managed to get the Yammy nearly new for around £100 and it was a great workhorse for the year or so I had it.

Amp: I think it was the practice room's Ashdown Cab (absolutely awful, as you'd expect from a cab which had been pushed to breaking point far too many times) and a Laney head (again, not great). I've since upgraded to Barefaced cabs and an Aguilar TH500 and life has been much better ever since.

Set List: We'd only been a band for a month at this point but already had a short set of material ready to go. From memory, it was 6 original punk tunes, a cover of Crucified (Agnostic Front) and Acquiesce (Oasis).  

Embarrassing part: Everyone was so drunk that I think any potential for embarrassment was basically zero. We had a few fun moments though - the one that sticks with me is looking up to see someone flying overhead and straight into the bass drum and guitar amps. Overall, a pretty great first show!

On 10/9/2017 at 17:52, blue said:

My first top notch rig, it was 1972. I had a brand new Ampeg SVT with covers, a 1957, pre-CBS Fender Precision Bass and a Meastro Phase Shifter.

Great rig!

Blue

First Gig,

1966, grade school talent show. Bass, guitar, ouano and drums. We played 2 songs, Cleo's Back & Function At The Junction  I remember having a blast.

Blue

Having promised at an early age after seeing a local pub band playing a rocking version of House of the Rising Sun that ONE day, I would be up there too, and spending 35 years messing around never being very good at guitar, this year some friends sacked their bassist and asked if I fancied giving it a go. Five months later, l made my first public appearance at a 40th birthday party and loved it. More gigs lined up....it's never too late!

Location/Venue:The Loft, Arundel

Your age:52

Your bass:Squier Jazz VM

Your amp:Ashdown ABM Evo III 500

The set list (some of it):Foos, Killers, The Jam, Arctic Monkeys, Lemonheads

Not sure how I missed this one.

First gig was aged ten  with the Johnny Vesper Jazzmen (sic!)  in Edgware near the station, in a Church of England Hall with TRVTH over the front door. Still there.

It was a jewish wedding reception and we got I think ten shillings between six of us.

First bass gig would have been some time in 1962/3 when I switched from guitar to bass so that Bubs White (Bonzos, Big Grunt, etc) could take over lead guitar in our band The Sundowners at the time.

Probably one of the many youth club gigs or one of the ballrooms & civic halls in the Cambridge area. Like someone said you always remember the very first one... by the time we moved from London to Cambridge I had been gigging for 6 years.

Edited by ivansc

Age 45 (I had been playing just over two months at that point), a works Christmas bash, played a Epiphone EB3 through a Marshall bass combo. Mixed set, first half was 70s and 80s punk/ alternative, second half was more general rock covers, then we repeated the first half as it was just buzzing and the people running it asked if we had anymore. Booked again this year, can’t wait. My playing has come on a lot in the last year (about 450 hours of practice certainly helps).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Location/Venue: 20th November 1966, Hesdin Youth Club, Ruislip Manor, West London

Your age: Old enough

Your bass: Framus Star Bass

Your amp: Nashville 60 watt amp and Crook 412 cab

The set list (some of it): We were a Blues Band. First number was Spoonful. The rest was a John Mayall inspired selection

Anything else that might be funny/interesting/embarrassing: As the singer said, "Thank you and this is the last number", all the lights went on. The caretaker was walking towards us across an empty room and said, "I wouldn't bother mate. They've all gone home!"

3 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Age 45 (I had been playing just over two months at that point), a works Christmas bash, played a Epiphone EB3 through a Marshall bass combo. Mixed set, first half was 70s and 80s punk/ alternative, second half was more general rock covers, then we repeated the first half as it was just buzzing and the people running it asked if we had anymore. Booked again this year, can’t wait. My playing has come on a lot in the last year (about 450 hours of practice certainly helps).

Great story and very inspiring: no pain no gain eh? I work that out at about (on average) 90 mins a day every day bass practice over the past year?  If you have a busy job and / or family commitments what's your secret to finding the time to spend on fret-board and are you managing to keep up that rate of disciplined effort?

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Great story and very inspiring: no pain no gain eh? I work that out at about (on average) 90 mins a day every day bass practice over the past year?  If you have a busy job and / or family commitments what's your secret to finding the time to spend on fret-board and are you managing to keep up that rate of disciplined effort?

I have a ridiculously busy life but make time where I can, I get 40 minutes lunch break at work and use about 25-30 of that for practice at least 4 times a week, then I practice every night between 7 and 8pm when my daughter is watching star trek voyager (yes I know), then we do a 2-3 hr rehearsal at least every other week and usually two or three times in the week leading up to a big gig if we have new material. I even bought a cheap travel bass to take on holiday last year! I think the secret is to find small pockets of time you can squeeze a bit in, even ten minutes messing about with a new part or keeping something fresh helps. I have a very structured system as well (thanks to something I read on here ages ago), so I make sure to split the time up between a fun warm up, technique, new songs and then practice of stuff on the set list. I go over the whole set list over a period of 6 days. I love doing it and I am not the sort to sit in front of a tv for hours so it fits in well for me.

• Thanks 1

Location/Venue: The Wheatsheaf, Walsall Wood

Your age: 14

Your bass: Fresher P bass

Your amp: The other's band's

The set list (some of it): Maiden Maiden Maiden - Phantom, Running Free, Can I Play With Madness, Hallowed, Alright Now.

Anything else that might be funny/interesting/embarrassing.

To set the scene, I started playing bass at 14 because a couple of older mates were getting a band together.  Within a few weeks we had our first gig and I could barely play a note.  Some of the guys from the headline band worked at Musical Exchanges in Brum and were stupidly good.  We didn't make it easy for ourselves by doing a virtually full Maiden set with monsters like Phantom and Hallowed!  Not the easiest when you're 14, can't play bass and you're cacking yourself!  I think the only non-Maiden track we did was Alright Now and we couldn't end it - we went on and on.  Still can't believe we did the gig but everyone was really nice to us and I think respected us for having the balls to do it.  We were bloody awful but got a lot better over the next couple of years!

My first ever gig on bass - I played percussion in brass bands since I was about 12.

Location/Venue: A pub in Wishaw (near Glasgow) that's not there any more

Your age: 39ish

Your bass: Yamaha TRB-4

Your amp: Gallien-Kreuger GK300 + Hartke something-or-other cab.

The set list (some of it):  It was a charity thing and we only played a few songs. (Come up and see me) Make Me Smile.,  Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Better Man (Pearl Jam), I Believe in a Thing Called Love. 

It was all downhill from there...

Location/Venue: Thmas Lord Audley 5th Year Christmas Party

Your age: 15

Your bass: It must have been the schools Marlin

Your amp: god knows

The set list:  From memory I think we played a selection of Jam tunes...Butterfly Collector was one of them the others are lost to the mist of time