Why become a member? ×

Your first ever gig

interpol52

Location/Venue: Ulster Schools drama "thing". Outdoors at Stranmillis College in Belfast, scorching hot day in June '92. Lots of unfamiliar young ladies from other schools running around...

Your age: 15

Your bass: Sunn Mustang (pointy headstock p-bass thing)

Your amp: Vantage 30w

The set list (some of it): Some originals, a few Metallica covers.

Camcorder footage of it was recently discovered. Really not good.

Edited by Bigwan

• 5 months later...

My first ever gig was on drums back in 1985 when I was 16. We played five songs at a school disco and I think it was the greatest experience of my life up to that point.

My first gig as a bass player was about three years later, my band (only lasted one gig!) opened for another band at a rugby club gig. I played my Silver Series Squier Precision, through the amp of the bass player from the main band. All good, apart from the band starting the opening chords of an original songs that they all clearly knew but I’d never heard, never played, never practised. 

Since then I’ve done gigs on guitar, on keys and many, many solo acoustic shows, but playing bass account for the vast majority of all the gigs I’ve done.

Location.     Windmill club, Kettering. 1981.

Age. 18.

Band.    Kinddeed.

Bass.   Antoria short scale semi.

Amp.    V Amp 60 with Marshalll 30w guitar combo for back up. All through a proper locally hired p.a.... Sorted.

Setlist.    Punk rock originals and Wardance by Killing Joke.

There was a good amount of people to watch who also were punks but had a lot of apathy for local bands. The venue did not let us re-book as they did not realise we were a punk band that brought in a nasty punk audience etc. Great fun though.

On 09/10/2017 at 21:21, Dr.Dave said:

There was a stripper on before us. Well dirty. Coke bottles , the works. I went in the dressing room after her spot and she was stark naked , she grabbed a towel and covered up ( I could never figure out why after what she'd just been doing ). Anyway I was so gobsmacked all I could think to say was 'We've got a towel like that at home' !

This cracks me up every time I read it xD Brilliant.