Why become a member? ×

NA&CD!!! Ampeg PF-350 & Barefaced One 10

Pea Turgh

Hello chaps. This pretty little set up replaces a 35 year old Peterson combo. Super heavy!
I plugged the Ampeg in to the Peterson combo purely because it arrived before the cab, so it was a good A/B with the Peterson head. The Ampeg sounds cleaner, deeper and clearer. Now I'm plugged in to the Barefaced, it's just even more so. A nice balance.
Our next practice is toward the end of the month (dammit), so I'll see how it fares proper there.
There is a slight buzz coming from it, so I need to investigate further. I dropped Barefaced a quick email and they responded within a couple of hours with a really positive and logical set of things to try - fantastic customer service.
I need to try some different bits tonight to see wher the problem lies. Doubt it'll be the cab, hope it's not the head, if it's the bass I can deal with that (by getting a new one!)

Afraid I have to wait a bit longer - appears there is a bit of a buzz coming through the cab. Tried different basses, leads, heads and cabs, but the buzz only happens through the Barefaced.

Alex and co have been super helpful so far in trying to remotely diagnose the issue. Seems most likely at present to be an overly enthusiastic delivery person smashing the sh*t out of everything in their "care".

It's in a box waiting for Barefaced to arrange collection :(

• 2 weeks later...

So after all this time turns out it’s thhe Ampeg, not the Barefaced. Gotta say, Alex & Harry at Barefaced have been superb at firstly trying to remotely diagnose, then taking the cab back to test. Glad I bought from them, not only for a cool cab, but the support.

So the Ampeg head has a slight distorted sound that can’t be heard very well through other cabs, the Barefaced happened to show it up really well because they are so much better!

I bought the head from Thomann, so they are pretty good with returns thankfully. A bit frustrated as I just want to play!

So I think i’m sorted now - Barefaced have been immense in helping me sort this out.
Strangely, the amp has sorted itself out too. I’m racking my brain trying to figure out what was wrong. The only thing I can come up with is that there was some gunk left over from manufacturing in/on the pots that has now worked it’s way free, so all the connections are good and no more weird buzz.

Anyway, on to enjoyment! Oh, and did you know Barefaced do different colour options? Seriously want a second One10 in tweed...

So finally had a chance to run this tiny little set up with a rock covers band - kept up (just) with two guitarists and a drummer - all very loud!

I was a bit concerned initially, mistaking clarity for lack of volume, but everybody could hear me fine.
I made extensive use of the built in limiter on the PF 350 - damn thing was almost constantly lit up! Even so, the drummer said the sound was clearer than my now retired Peterson combo. It’s nice that the limiter is being useful, rather than taking anything away from the sound.

This lovely little pairing will certainly be sufficient for my soul band, but I feel eventually i’ll get a second One10 for more air movement with the rock outfit.

Still GASing for the tweed one to sit atop mine.

You might be waiting a while! The keyboard player normally books all the gigs, but he’s been busy with work recently, so only two more for 2017!
I’m confident it will be perfect in the soul band, but I’d probably would have gone with a two10 had the timing of the purchase been different, for both the extra air movement and the larger physical size - the One10 is proper tiny.

Hiya! Good gig Friday with the soul band. The sound engineer is in love with the sound coming from this set up - he’s a bassist too and will shortly be contacting Alex & co for a cab!  He wants to mic me as opposed to DI next time he loved it so much.

During sound check I couldn’t stop noodling- it’s the sort of improvement that gives you more confidence, if you know what I mean.

The drummer loves it too, says it’s deeper but clearer.

I was going through a very decent PA so I wasn’t worried about volume, but even so, the sound on stage was plenty loud enough.

Overall, even smugerer about my rig than I was to begin with. I don’t *need* another cab, but I will be getting another One10 at some point!

Next gig is on 9th but with a different band (sans PA). Should be a good test...

Edited by Pea Turgh
Clarity

Interesting.  I too play in a rock covers band and use a pair of Two10s with a TC BH500.  I am looking to downsize the amp and this wee Ampeg is on my list along with the TH350 and the Tech21 VT Bass (which I had originally bought but was dead on arrival). To be honest, the two cabs are overkill much of the time but they do look the business and are still fairly easy to transport.

Another variable worth considering is the power of the head.  The Barefaced one10 webpage says "safe with up to 500W if you're running fairly clean sounds" - so if your desire is to be louder, it could be the head which is the limiting factor, not the fact that you only have one cab.

A PF350 outputs 250W into 8ohms (one cab) or 350W into 4ohms (two cabs).  As a comparison, I have a Shuttle 9.2 which outputs 500W or 900W.  But what difference will it make?

BTW I don't have any technical expertise in this area, so please point out if I've misunderstood or misinterpreted any of the following!

I used the sound pressure level calculator at http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-efficiency.htm, with a sensitivity of 95dB (as per Barefaced one10 webpage), and the calculator's default distance of 3m.

The starting point is PF350 into one cab, which gave 109.5dB.

The results:

• PF350 into two cabs → 113.9dB (an increase of 4.4dB).
  • Shuttle 9.2 into one cab → 112.5dB (an increase of 3.0dB).

As an approximate guide, a increase of 10dB is a doubling of perceived loudness.

So with 4.4dB increase vs the Shuttle's 3.0dB, the winner is the PF350 with two cabs - but I think it's close enough that a more powerful head remains a comparable alternative to getting a second cab.

Some other results:

• Shuttle 9.2 with two one10s → 118.0dB.
  • PF350 with a two10 (sensitivity 98dB) → 116.94dB.
  • PF350 with a four10 (sensitivity 101dB) → 119.94dN.

Anyway - hope it's interesting.  There are other differences between one cab or two: using one means less carrying, whereas two cabs probably have a deeper tone and will be taller.  And anyway, theoretical calculations should probably yield to any real-world experiences.

FWIW I use my Shuttle 9.2 and a single one10 most of the time (although I do own two).  This is with a ten-piece function band who is still quite loud on stage despite owning a huge PA.

On 14/11/2017 at 16:57, jrixn1 said:

Another variable worth considering is the power of the head.  The Barefaced one10 webpage says "safe with up to 500W if you're running fairly clean sounds" - so if your desire is to be louder, it could be the head which is the limiting factor, not the fact that you only have one cab.

A PF350 outputs 250W into 8ohms (one cab) or 350W into 4ohms (two cabs).  As a comparison, I have a Shuttle 9.2 which outputs 500W or 900W.  But what difference will it make?

BTW I don't have any technical expertise in this area, so please point out if I've misunderstood or misinterpreted any of the following!

I used the sound pressure level calculator at http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-efficiency.htm, with a sensitivity of 95dB (as per Barefaced one10 webpage), and the calculator's default distance of 3m.

The starting point is PF350 into one cab, which gave 109.5dB.

The results:

• PF350 into two cabs → 113.9dB (an increase of 4.4dB).
  • Shuttle 9.2 into one cab → 112.5dB (an increase of 3.0dB).

As an approximate guide, a increase of 10dB is a doubling of perceived loudness.

So with 4.4dB increase vs the Shuttle's 3.0dB, the winner is the PF350 with two cabs - but I think it's close enough that a more powerful head remains a comparable alternative to getting a second cab.

Some other results:

• Shuttle 9.2 with two one10s → 118.0dB.
  • PF350 with a two10 (sensitivity 98dB) → 116.94dB.
  • PF350 with a four10 (sensitivity 101dB) → 119.94dN.

Anyway - hope it's interesting.  There are other differences between one cab or two: using one means less carrying, whereas two cabs probably have a deeper tone and will be taller.  And anyway, theoretical calculations should probably yield to any real-world experiences.

FWIW I use my Shuttle 9.2 and a single one10 most of the time (although I do own two).  This is with a ten-piece function band who is still quite loud on stage despite owning a huge PA.

Nice - thanks for that!

So i’ve joined another band, and guess what? They’re LOUD!!!

When I ordered my One10 I played in just the one outfit, where we always have a very decent PA provided.  Now I’m in two other rock bands my needs have changed. Bloody guitarists with their Marshall half stacks and Fender Twins!

I’m seriously considering going Two10 (in tweed - nice!) now as 2/3rds of the time I’m pushing the One10 to its limits.

Might have to wait til after Christmas to sell this one and buy it’s big brother though. That should also get a loud gig done to see how it fares.

• 2 weeks later...