Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision bass - broken nut advice needed!

Deester

Hi all,

Newbie here, need some advice please. I have a Fender Mark Hoppus signature bass (Precision neck, Jazz body) and after many years of
loyal service, the nut has broken.

Looking for the best option in terms of a replacement. I like the idea of a brass nut as, in theory, it will never need to be replaced again
but if I do go for brass, should I get it hand-made (The Bass Gallery in London have given me a price) rather than ordering something
online and worrying about it fitting properly?

Northwest guitars sell a brass nut for a tenner but presumably, as it's a generic part it'll need a bit of fettling to set up properly? This isn't
a job I want to do myself either, I'd rather leave it to someone who knows exactly what they're doing...

Thanks in advance,

Leo,

[quote name='Deester' timestamp='1507118626' post='3383411']

Looking for the best option in terms of a replacement. I like the idea of a brass nut as, in theory, it will never need to be replaced again
but if I do go for brass,
[/quote]

I'm not sure why a brass nut would need replacing any less frequently than an alternative - not that nuts need replacing very often. Brass is quite a soft metal.

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1507193053' post='3383774']

I'm not sure why a brass nut would need replacing any less frequently than an alternative - not that nuts need replacing very often. Brass is quite a soft metal.
[/quote]
I've never heard of a brass nut needing replacing. All the vintage basses with stock brass nuts I've seen still have the original nut on.
Brass may be a relatively soft metal but it's still pretty bloody durable. I should know as I've crafted nuts out of solid brass myself.

A custom-built brass nut seems little OTT to me for a MIM Fender. Most Fenders live with the same plastic nut for years. There's no reason why a plastic one won't last on a bass for ages, unless it gets knocked.

Replacing a nut isn't hard, but it does take a bit of care. Gary Mac would be able to do it for you if you're near North London. Otherwise, there's possibly no better place than the Gallery, whatever you go for.

Thanks to all for the advice, much appreciated. I've found a local guitar tech and he's also recommended I go for Graphtech instead of the brass option. With that in mind I've ordered
a Tusq XL nut and I'll get him to fit it for me. I've watched a few "how to" videos on youtube but despite being a competent DIYer I still don't fancy tackling this job myself!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1507211951' post='3383964']
Most Fenders live with the same plastic nut for years. There's no reason why a plastic one won't last on a bass for ages, unless it gets knocked.
[/quote]

Yes - that was my point really. That a nut tends to last ages - possibly as long as the bass - anyway (not that I haven't had broken nuts on some old basses). Not suggesting that brass is too soft to use - obvs lots of brass nuts out there...

• 2 weeks later...

When I started building and repairing guitars back in the late '70's brass nuts and bridges were all the go and I used to make my own from brass rod. They are relatively time consuming to cut, shape and file, but all nuts made from scratch require some time, brass just takes a bit longer. These days for electric guitars and basses I use Graphtec nuts unless someone requests bone, or some other material. I don't think I've ever seen a Graphtec nut that's broken under normal conditions, they are pretty tough.