Why become a member? ×

A cheap envelope filter

Graham

I could do with an envelope filter for a song we're adding to our set - Hey Ya by Outkast.

I'll probably use it in a couple of other places too, but the prompt to get one is this song.

Ideally I'd like to get an MXR, but as the next three months see all three of my children's birthdays and then Christmas, I can't spend that kind of money right now.

So, what's the cheapest, least bad option out there?

Edited by Graham

The DOD 440 reissue is really good (or a tone factor bottom feeder - similar thing) and not mega money. I used a digitech bass synth wah on that tune with fantastic results. They are usually on here for roughly £50 but you get a lot of nice synth and octave for your money too :)

Edited by lee650

It was this type of situation that prompted me to buy a Zoom B3. I was buying pedals to use in one song, and sometimes we’d drop the song! (For example I bought a chorus for Don’t Stop Believing and it got old pretty quickly!)

I know some folk just don’t like multi effects, but think of this as three interchangeable stomp boxes and you’ll do just fine!

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1507128393' post='3383508']
It was this type of situation that prompted me to buy a Zoom B3. I was buying pedals to use in one song, and sometimes we'd drop the song! (For example I bought a chorus for Don't Stop Believing and it got old pretty quickly!)

I know some folk just don't like multi effects, but think of this as three interchangeable stomp boxes and you'll do just fine!
[/quote]

...not sure if the B3 is much cheaper than an MXR pedal, however, I support this idea.
I have it and it gets used for envelope, chorus/flanger and synth type of effects. If you play in a cover band and need a multitude of sounds
just for an occasional song here and there this is the way to go.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1507111766' post='3383332']
I could do with an envelope filter for a song we're adding to our set - Hey Ya by Outkast.

I'll probably use it in a couple of other places too, but the prompt to get one is this song.

Ideally I'd like to get an MXR, but as the next three months see all three of my children's birthdays and then Christmas, I can't spend that kind of money right now.

So, what's the cheapest, least bad option out there?
[/quote]

Cheap but decent sounding and easy to get good sounds from...

Digitech Bass Synth Wah is pretty cool, and lots of extra sounds.
For around 50-60 quid you might be able to find one of the Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter pedals (BEF, not the 'pro' version). The original Soundblox pedal. It's larger than your average pedal but it has a variety of envelope filters and some phasers, it's really easy to tweak, there's no issues with weird peaks or bottom end loss, and it just sounds great, If you can find one... don't hesitate.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1507117732' post='3383404']
EHX Micro Qtron. There are better but not at the used price of one of these.
[/quote]

The problem with that one, for me, is that the effect is a lot louder than the input signal. I like it, I owned THREE... but each time I let it go because of the volume issue.

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1507128393' post='3383508']
It was this type of situation that prompted me to buy a Zoom B3. I was buying pedals to use in one song, and sometimes we'd drop the song! (For example I bought a chorus for Don't Stop Believing and it got old pretty quickly!)

I know some folk just don't like multi effects, but think of this as three interchangeable stomp boxes and you'll do just fine!
[/quote]

Good call... the Zoom MS60 has a few good envelope filter models in it, plus plenty other fun sounds.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1507393066' post='3385207']
Bassballs - and you can sometimes pick them up for under a score (£20). In fact I may even have a spare somewhere...
[/quote]

Only it's not really the type of effect most people think of as 'envelope filter'... but a fun effect all the same. I had one that was modified to get access to the sweep of the two oscillators and was pretty cool

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1507411837' post='3385367']

The problem with that one, for me, is that the effect is a lot louder than the input signal. I like it, I owned THREE... but each time I let it go because of the volume issue.
[/quote].

That’s another reason the Zooms work well, as you can balance the patch out to avoid the increase in level.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1507411837' post='3385367']

[/quote]

Absolutely true. But I find that in the mix the volume boost makes the effect more useable. It's one of those effects that makes bass disappear behind everything else.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1507462677' post='3385562']
Absolutely true. But I find that in the mix the volume boost makes the effect more useable. It's one of those effects that makes bass disappear behind everything else.
[/quote]

Not for me. I guess it will depend on your basic tone.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1507469635' post='3385638']

Not for me. I guess it will depend on your basic tone.
[/quote]

Also true. It's such a personal thing the perfect envelope filter. Really getting suggestions won't get you very far til you try them!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1507469846' post='3385640']

Also true. It's such a personal thing the perfect envelope filter. Really getting suggestions won't get you very far til you try them!
[/quote]

Massive +1.

I've owned about 7 different envelope filters in all, and still own 5 of them! Very different flavours which are so so subjective! The only way to know for certain is to try them for yourself.