Why become a member? ×

Stuck in a rut

trav164

Hi all,

Just wanting some advice and tips as I've found myself stuck in a rut for sometime not really improving significantly.

I tended to start out playing just from tabs but recently began to learn my notes and am now able to learn a song by ear if a tab isn't available. However I struggle to find any creativity when creating fills and find myself repeating the same sort of pattern that obviously doesn't fit with every scenario. I'm also in talks with a few friends which want to start playing together so having the ability to create nice fills is a must.

Just want to get some advice and tips on the best way to move forward and keep improving at a steady pace.

Cheers,

Edited by trav164

Listen to music you like (or even don't like) and pay particular attention to what the bass player is doing. It's often the case that less is more. Fills and runs are all well and good - but timing, feel and groove are much more important. IMHO, of course.

Play a completely different genre of music to get different feel, approaches and shapes on the fretboard in to your playing. It will all pay off when you let loose on improvising. Playing in a band will really help, it pushes out the creativity far better than playing along to a cd at home.

If you join a band you'll need to get up to speed on what is important and put the stuff that isn't aside for later.

With regard to "fills". . . . what sounds good played at home might not work so well in a band.

Get the band going and things will become much clearer.

All good advice given so far. Here is my 2c worth.

IMO spending a little time on two things would help to shake you out of the rut you find your self in.

1). Chord inversions. Practicing these will help you to see/hear the same chord in a different way.

https://www.talkingbass.net/music-theory-bass-guitar-slash-chords-inversions/

2). Walking bass lines. These have the same benefits as 1 above. Even if you are not really into jazz, learning walking bass can help with bass lines for other genres.

Here is a set of lessons in chronological order from Dave Marks.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dave+marks+walking++bass+lesson

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1507033559' post='3382859']
Listen to music you like (or even don't like) and pay particular attention to what the bass player is doing.
[/quote]
[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1507034086' post='3382872']
Play a completely different genre of music to get different feel, approaches and shapes on the fretboard in to your playing.
[/quote]

I agree with both of the above. Take yourself out of your usual comfort zone and listen to some really different stuff. The bass players don't have to be particularly virtuoso-like, but they will all have different approaches. Practice what you have heard and liked.

Yes, playing in a band gives you an opportunity to incorporate these new skills into your own repertoire, but it really depends on the other musicians. If they are all trying to do the same thing as you, it could become a real mess! On the other hand, we bass players can learn a lot by listening to our bandmates in terms of how they play fills/trills etc.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1507044426' post='3382990']
Whenever I get like this I like to pick up a 5 string guitar and muck about with jazz chords/standards. It allows me to take a break from the bass, but still be actively musical.
[/quote]

5 string guitar??? You know you can buy new strings on eBay and from music shops, so if you've snapped a string on a 6-string its not a big problem to buy a replacement and fit it....or is a 5 string guitar something unusual that's passed me by for the majority of my life so far...

(Or is it a typo and you meant 6 string?)

[quote name='trav164' timestamp='1507033213' post='3382854']
Hi all,

Just wanting some advice and tips as I've found myself stuck in a rut for sometime not really improving significantly.

I tended to start out playing just from tabs but recently began to learn my notes and am now able to learn a song by ear if a tab isn't available. However I struggle to find any creativity when creating fills and find myself repeating the same sort of pattern that obviously doesn't fit with every scenario. I'm also in talks with a few friends which want to start playing together so having the ability to create nice fills is a must.

Just want to get some advice and tips on the best way to move forward and keep improving at a steady pace.

Cheers,
[/quote]

Most of my improvement over the years came from gigging.

Don't practice stuff you know that's fun to play. Practice stuff you don't know that's challenging and not fun.

Blue

Edited by blue