Why become a member? ×

If you could choose only one compressor pedal

dannybuoy

10 hours ago, burno70 said:

I've recently downgraded from an Empress Compressor to a TC Spectra Comp and I'm loving it! It can't half squeeze!. Not as transparent as the Empress but still a solid compressor.

i just made the same switch in the opposite direction.

I found the spectracomp to sound useful when playing live/in a band mix. But just couldn't get on with it in the studio. No matter how i had it set i just couldn't get it to sound punchy and expressive at the same time. I was also frustrated by the editor!!:facepalm:

That and the fact that i couldn't "trust" it, made me want to shift it on for something more transparent, with metering and a clean blend. and the empress fits the bill perfectly. Its punchy and balanced, the metering is superb!!! So much so that i use it a lot to set up my gain staging between pedals using my ES-8 to switch it in between temporarily. Works like a charm!

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 08:11, GisserD said:

i just made the same switch in the opposite direction.

I found the spectracomp to sound useful when playing live/in a band mix. But just couldn't get on with it in the studio. No matter how i had it set i just couldn't get it to sound punchy and expressive at the same time. I was also frustrated by the editor!!:facepalm:

That and the fact that i couldn't "trust" it, made me want to shift it on for something more transparent, with metering and a clean blend. and the empress fits the bill perfectly. Its punchy and balanced, the metering is superb!!! So much so that i use it a lot to set up my gain staging between pedals using my ES-8 to switch it in between temporarily. Works like a charm!

I've not used it in a band environment yet so am looking forward to hearing it in the mix. In my 'home studio' it sounds great. I do have to resist the urge to squash the living S&*T out of my tone though but it's so much fun. I like the way it has no metering - it makes me use my ears more. With the Empress, looking back I was relying on the metering way more than the actual sound and that's not right. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a run through each toneprint into headphones. The majority of them either altered the tone, boosted the volume, or over compressed, but I was really happy with the sound I got from the stock preset with the dial at about 8 o'clock. Increased clarity without a harsh treble boost, lightly plucked notes leap out, digging in aggressively doesn't over compress.

I couldn't find a setting that was quite as transparent as my Cali Compact, perhaps with a bit of manual tweaking I could get there. But as a tone enhancing compressor it's certainly up there. Best bit is it was virtually silent at most settings, which I was not expecting!

• Like 2

On 27/03/2018 at 22:14, dannybuoy said:

Just had a run through each toneprint into headphones. The majority of them either altered the tone, boosted the volume, or over compressed, but I was really happy with the sound I got from the stock preset with the dial at about 8 o'clock. Increased clarity without a harsh treble boost, lightly plucked notes leap out, digging in aggressively doesn't over compress.

I couldn't find a setting that was quite as transparent as my Cali Compact, perhaps with a bit of manual tweaking I could get there. But as a tone enhancing compressor it's certainly up there. Best bit is it was virtually silent at most settings, which I was not expecting!

I too like the stock settings. It seems to me that most of the Tone prints are based on slapping, which i dont do. I know they are not only for the authors style, but even so. i find the TC Electronic tone prints to work better for me.

I cant honestly say if i find it as transparent as the Cali, i suppose its not, but as i use one or tweo other effects which all colour my tone i dont worry about this side. I

I really need to get in to the tone editor at seem point, but for now i just trun it on and leave it at whatever its set at from before. In fact last night i hadnt noticed i was turning it on and off by mistake when i was using one of my large feet to turn my Aftershock on and off. The two are so close i was hitting both by mistake. No one said anything, and even i didnt notice until i looked down and saw the light was off......but thats for another thread lol.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Haha 1

I'm in the EBS. Mainly because I'm after an easy life. Couldn't get on with the other as easily(though I never tried the Spectracomp). Simple, quiet, effective. I double up on guitar occasionally and so have set the internal pots for guitar but find the same setting is nice for soloing on bass.

Well since I started this thread, I will answer it.

Spectracomp!

I do still highly rate the Cali CB, but the TC is smaller, cheaper, easier to operate, and sounds more 'exciting'. Notes seem to jump out more and the multi-band nature of it ensures more evenness across the fretboard or when playing aggressively. It sounds a lot better than the RMI Basswitch multi-band to me as well. I understand what all the compressor controls do, yet don't find the single knob an issue. I just set the knob between 8 and 10 o'clock depending on which bass I'm using and I end up with a great sound. I will have to dig into the settings to come up with my own preset though since the stock one has a bit of a gain boost.

TC downsides - you can't turn it on and off mid song as it makes a funny sound when you engage it. Not just your typical true bypass pop, but it's like either the digital circuitry is booting up or a capacitor is charging or something as there is a slight chirp sound and fade in when it comes on. Also, some presets sound digital - I can't remember which one I was using, but I noticed the tone sounded a bit like it had gone through lossy MP3 compression or through a mild bit crusher. Something you might not notice through a bass rig or if adding overdrive, but a PJB Bighead and Beyer cans reveal all! I switched back to the stock preset and the effect was gone. I will listen it for it again next time I whip through the tone prints!

19 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

TC downsides - you can't turn it on and off mid song as it makes a funny sound when you engage it. Not just your typical true bypass pop, but it's like either the digital circuitry is booting up or a capacitor is charging or something as there is a slight chirp sound and fade in when it comes on. 

Interesting. That's not something mine does though, so it could possibly be an issue with your particular pedal? 

I've not tried it with an alternative power supply or by itself in the chain so could experiment there. However it's not an issue as a compressor is an always on pedal for me and I don't need to switch compressors for slapping or tapping (both are for show-offs!).

44 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

... slapping or tapping (both are for show-offs!).

or for folk who have the skills to (tastefully) slap and pop!

Surely ALL live performance is showing off: none of us gets in front of an audience because we are overcome by modesty!

Glad it’s not just me that finds the Spectracomp as usable as the much more expensive Cali. I also find the SC has a bit more life in it under certain situations. Not surprising as it has a lot more control under the hood. 

Mine doesnt make a strange noise when turned on and off. Maybe it’s down the the TonePrint in use. 

• 7 months later...

I'm bumping this for a few reasons. First I'm thinking about a new compressor. I have a Boss BC1-X multiband currently. There's nothing specific that I would say is wrong with it, but I fancy some variety. I run the comp at the front of my signal chain, using the amp's built in limiter to handle speaker protection in my own rig, so it can have a big effect on the overall sound of my playing. I don't typically use extreme settings and I don't fiddle much either -  ratio somewhere around 3 or 4:1, I would guess and a slow enough release to give me some extra sustain, but nothing obviously effect-y.  The second reason is that the Spectracomp (also digital, also multiband) is now about £65, BUT with Tore exiting TC, it's hard to know what the future support for Toneprint will be - and a detailed manual now looks very unlikely. Finally, Darkglass have issued the Hyper Luminal and it is pretty clearly aimed at the Cali76 market - with the addition of Toneprint-like additional functionality via USB. Is the Cali still worth the money? Is anyone using the Darkglass? YouTube is not too helpful alas - what with the compression. 

A trusted friend has the Hyperluminal.

In a nutshell, if you liked the SS compressor, it’s accurately reproduced.

The BUS compressor I think is great, sounds great and gives a wonderfully transparent and punchy feel. If you like the original BUS compressor sound then it’s not a bad replication.

Cali setting is good, close but not quite the while cigar IMO.

The price is not bad if you think about it, 3 compressors, PC tinkering with parameters.

@Bearfist just sold one, he may have some more insight.

• Like 1

Given the price, no reason to not give the Spectracomp a go, especially if you can pick up a used one and flip it later. It made me sell my Cali CB, I can really notice the limitations in single band compressors after getting used to what the multiband does for me. Prime example being if I agressively pop a string, a single band will react to that peak and turn the volume of the whole signal down for a split second, whereas a multiband can limit the top end spike without neutering the low end.

I'm not too worried about future support since I prefer the stock setting, if in 10 years time the Windows/iPad app were to stop working, I’d be disappointed but I wouldn’t be left with a paperweight. I’ve used the app exactly zero times since I auditioned all the presets on day one!

I like the Spectracomp too. Not heard any toneprints that float my boat but the sound straight out of the box works for me. I do however use a Keeley Bassist for gigging which is a cracking pedal, but I'd have no problem using the Spectracomp if I needed to.

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

@Bearfist just sold one, he may have some more insight.

I thought it was great, the bus side was probably my favourite pedal comp ive used, particularly into a dirt pedal, i did like the Cali side but only really got on with that when not going into dirt, its got a cool vibe that didn't work for me in anything other than isolation and i didn't overly care for the SS side, it was only when i had instant access to other comps did i realise how much i didn't like the SS which is a worry considering i had one on my board for about a year before getting the HL. The filter and the extra options in the suit are really great too.

Only sold it as i'm now compless, i'm running an X7 always on with a fairly hi drive and high comp setting on the clean side so i just don't need a separate comp (coincidentally the comp setting on the clean side of the X7 is the bus side of the HL with almost identical settings to those i was using, it sounds fantastic and is probably the best thing about the X7, the clean side is just awesome).

If i ever needed another pedal comp i'd get one again.

• Like 1