Why become a member? ×

If you could choose only one compressor pedal

dannybuoy

In vein of similar thread titles...

I was very happy with the RMI Basswitch Dual Band until it died last night. No noticeable pumping, just a very natural sound, the dual bands working well to keep control when playing aggressively. Word of warning is that it needs isolated power due to the internal charge pump producing some high pitched hum in other pedals if using on a daisy chain. Only got it a couple of weeks ago so hopefully no problems returning it to Thomann, they are usually very good.

I have an Effectrode PC-2A tube comp as well, which sounds like a vintage tube preamp and adds a big pillow of low end fatness with absolutely zero noise. It works really well on my fretless but isn't what I'm looking for as my main compressor as my main bass has more than enough low end already. I'll just keep this one around for recording I reckon.

Since I would have to wait a while for a replacement and I have rehearsal tomorrow, I just threw caution to the wind and ordered a Cali76 Compact Bass. I like the idea of the LPF and blend to stop it clamping down so much on the low end, which was the main reason I went for the dual band in the first place. Also the comments that it tightens the lows and makes everything sound more hi-fi sounds like a good fit for my Yamaha BB1025X, which has tons of lows but is quite dark sounding. The RMI had the same effect and really helped to even out the balance between lows and highs.

Good man, clearly being in a band has brought out a new side to you and resulted in any tiny caution* you may have once had, with your plastic, now being thrown to the wind!

I would [i]love [/i]a Cali 76 CB - just on reputation alone (maybe one for 2018?). So I'd say that's a great choice and congratulations! In the meantime, I've settled for a more modest Aguilar TLC which seems to do the job. One of my BC colleagues found it "bland" 'cos it was very transparent (and it's also quiet in terms of signal noise, to boot, which is obviously a good thing). But actually that's [i]exactly[/i] what I want from a compressor - I don't need it to be adding colour to my signal chain: I have great PUPs on my basses and a plethora of pedals to add colour already. I just need my compressor to be a great compressor, pure and simple. And that is what the Aguilar TLC does in spades.

PS as well as a poor man's Cali, I'm also playing a poor man's Yamaha BB1025X in the shape of a BB425. Lovely basses...:)

PPS Although, to be fair, not sure I really detected any such *caution since I've known you - I think you've been a signed up member of the Cuzzie brigade of "just get EVERYTHING and try it out" even before Cuzzie was a member?! :D

TC Electronic Spectracomp gets my shout. Relatively cheap and infinitely versatile.

I stick to the free TonePrints from TC's site which are quick and easy to beam to the pedal and are a great way to try out loads of different flavours of compression. And if you don't like the current TonePrint, you just load up the next one (it literally takes 2 seconds) and move on. My favourite TP's are MuscleComp for punch and presence that makes the bass slice through a busy mix, Captain East for subtle parallel compression and Fed Comp for ultra transparent compression.

MuscleComp sounds like it might well be what you're looking for to use with your BB, but if not you can always use it as a starting point and fine tune it using the free TonePrint editor app. Although I have a reasonable understanding of compression and can usually get a sound that I'm happy with from most single band compressors, the TonePrint editor app for the Spectracomp offers up something like 40+ individual parameters that can be configured to craft your own sound, if you're that way inclined. But for my needs there's loads of mileage to be had from the TonePrints alone.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1507022939' post='3382728']
One of my BC colleagues found it "bland" 'cos it was very transparent

[/quote]

That would be me then :lol:
Yes, the TLC is very transparent, to the point of sterility, IMO. Arguably the least exciting compressor I have ever tried.
If that's what you're looking for then go for it, but if you want punch or some of that tonal magic than only a compressor can add then look elsewhere.
IMO, of course. ;)

Edited by Osiris

I haven't tried many compressor pedals in the last 10 years because every pedal I tried was a disappointment. However I bought an a Effectrode PC2A like you about 12 months ago and I pulled the trigger on an FEA Labs Dual Band Compressor after having my name on their waiting list for 9 months. The FEA Labs pedal is like a Trace Elliot Dual Comp but a little more configurable and with much higher spec components. I can't hear any noise at normal playing levels.

I've heard good things about the Spectracomp too BTW. But the tone print functionality will only last as long as TC keep the software compatible with your phone. I tend to worry about whether software based music solutions will still be supported in 10 years.

The Spectracomp does indeed look good, great price and unparalleled flexibility. I do prefer hands on control though and find any pedal that needs an app a bit of a faff, but on the other side once I have something dialled in I tend to leave it there, and then there's fewer knobs to nudge accidentally!

The lack of on the fly control is the one thing that puts me off the Spectracomp. That said, I will almost certainly get one and already would have done so if I hadn't spent insane quantities of cash on pedals this year.
I use a Boss BC1X and I do make minor adjustments on the fly. I was sceptical about a digital pedal, but it's a big improvement on the old Boss analog comps I've tried, on bass at least. I've never tried a Cali and I am curious as to what extra it gives you for the price and footprint, but I have no significant issues with the Boss (apart from the nasty green sparkle colour). Not enough to actively seek a replacement anyway.

I have a Spectracomp myself and for a very long time used the MuscleComp TonePrint...but it always annoyed me that when engaged it noticeably amplified any hiss/noise. So the other day I went through all the TonePrints with a fine toothed comb to find any which didn't suffer this hissue (see what I did there :lol:) and landed upon a few which fit the bill. My new favourites are now "Hold My Neon Mule" and "Born Again Compressor" which is Nik West's signature print. I like it.

HOWEVER. I've been searching for a compressor which will give me serious sustain (for my synthy FX chain) and came across the Pigtronix Philosophers Tone/Philosopher Bass series of pedals. I much prefer the Philosophers Tone Micro as it's the same size as a Spectracomp and will slot right in its place on my board - but has anyone had any experience of it on bass? Logically, the bass specific version is probably better suited to bass frequencies but it's a larger pedal. Anyone tried the Micro??

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1507028166' post='3382793']
I have a Spectracomp myself and for a very long time used the MuscleComp TonePrint...but it always annoyed me that when engaged it noticeably amplified any hiss/noise.

[/quote]

Everything is quiet as a church mouse with my set up (bass - Boss tuner - Spectracomp - amp) using the MuscleComp TonePrint.
Have you got anything else in your signal chain that might be causing the noise, or causing the SpectraComp to amplify the noise?

Edited by Osiris

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1507027731' post='3382784']
EBS Multicomp for me,simple to use,3 different modes,works very well & sounds great.
[/quote]

+1 for the EBS Multicomp. I tried a stack of compressors before I picked this one. Use it mainly for evening out pick playing, especially when palm-muting. Sounds fat and lovely 👌

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1507028656' post='3382798']

Everything is quiet as a church mouse with my set up (bass - Boss tuner - Spectracomp - amp) using the MuscleComp TonePrint.
Have you got anything else in your signal chain that might be causing the noise, or causing the SpectraComp to amplify the noise?
[/quote]

I have an A/B input box that lets me switch between either using a cable or my Smooth Hound Wireless. So my chain is bass>cable>A/B box>Spectra OR bass>wireless>A/B box>Spectra. Either way the hiss is present on certain presets. I only really notice it through headphones via a Phil Jones BigHead though. When playing through speakers it's much less noticeable, though still present. Having read up about the TonePrint settings on the Spectracomp, it sounds like a setting called "Auto Makeup again" could be the culprit.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1507025033' post='3382751']

I've heard good things about the Spectracomp too BTW. But the tone print functionality will only last as long as TC keep the software compatible with your phone. I tend to worry about whether software based music solutions will still be supported in 10 years.
[/quote]

You can hook the pedal up to a computer and transfer/Edit, so no phone needed unless you want to 'beam' presets to it when away from the computer.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1507026413' post='3382769']
The lack of on the fly control is the one thing that puts me off the Spectracomp. That said, I will almost certainly get one and already would have done so if I hadn't spent insane quantities of cash on pedals this year.

[/quote]

I'd thus recommend the HyperGravity (Or HyperGravity Mini) which brings three knobs to the party. I have both the SC and the HGm here and I really like them both, though I am messing with the HGm to decide what I want the controls to be mapped to. So far it's Threshold for the three bands and a wet/dry parallel mix knob. The third I might adjust the gain of the low and mid bands to add some extra rumble :)

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1507039643' post='3382937']
I have an A/B input box that lets me switch between either using a cable or my Smooth Hound Wireless. So my chain is bass>cable>A/B box>Spectra OR bass>wireless>A/B box>Spectra. Either way the hiss is present on certain presets. I only really notice it through headphones via a Phil Jones BigHead though. When playing through speakers it's much less noticeable, though still present. Having read up about the TonePrint settings on the Spectracomp, it sounds like a setting called "Auto Makeup again" could be the culprit.
[/quote]

I only ever use mine with my gig rig and have never heard any noticeable noise added from the Spectracomp using the MuscleComp TonePrint which is my preference when gigging. I usually have it set at about (or just before) 10 o'clock which is perfect for me to add punch, keep everything even but still allow enough dynamic control by adjusting my playing style. I use the TonePrint as is, no further editing. I use a separate compressor (or 2, via a Zoom B3) for rehearsing through my bedroom amp and headphones and they add a small amount of noise, but nothing significant or distracting.

As I understand things most compressors add a little noise to the signal due to their nature, but some are worse than others.
Stick with it, it works brilliantly with my gear :)

Edited by Osiris

Seymour Duncan Studio Bass comp does all of that, I'm fairly fussy about compression and I can't fault it. I practice, record and play gigs with it, it has character when you need it, it can be transparent when you need that, it does pretty much everything a compressor needs to do.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1507056887' post='3383103']
I'd thus recommend the HyperGravity (Or HyperGravity Mini) which brings three knobs to the party. I have both the SC and the HGm here and I really like them both, though I am messing with the HGm to decide what I want the controls to be mapped to. So far it's Threshold for the three bands and a wet/dry parallel mix knob. The third I might adjust the gain of the low and mid bands to add some extra rumble :)
[/quote]

Am I right that the spectra and vintage options on the HG voiced for guitar though? It's really only the toneprint that's any real use on Bass? If so, the min looks like a more sensible buy out of the two.

That’s a very good question and if I’m honest I’m not sure. The HGm doesn’t have the option, it’s TonePrint all the way and I didn’t ever use the options on the full fat version because the TP was always the better option lol

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1507070031' post='3383206']
I have some great comps, FEA Dual Band and Rothwell Love Squeeze being particularly good ones, but limited to one? I think it might have to be the Boss LMB-3. (Yeah, I clocked the pun, just going to ignore it though!)

It's good at super subtle levelling, peak limiting, and a mighty squish without too many weird artifacts. The 'enhance' function isn't much cop, and I actually think that replacing it with the attack control from the CS-3 would make for something very useful indeed.

For the record, I've only used clones, and those cheaper than the Boss, too.
[/quote]

I've also got a Boss LMB-3 and agree that it is a very good compressor despite being labelled a limiter - although it does do limiting brilliantly as you say.
And yes, the enhance control is best left at minimal settings, or even off altogether.

Haven't really touched it since getting the Spectracomp though!

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a Cali 76 CB and I've loved it for years with my EBS rig it compressed well and added a certain amount of warmth. I recently started using a GB Streamliner and it's so warm sounding that I don't think the Cali works that well with it, any recommendations on a compressor that works as well but is a little more transparent. I've been drawn to the Darkglass, but only because the B3K is so good, I haven't actually tried the Super Symmetry.