Why become a member? ×

1986 Westone Thunder 1A Purple Haze Strings W/ Original Case!! £350
£400

ChazzJEUK

FEELER!!

So here is probably one of the rarer all original Westone Thunder 1A basses you'll ever see.

All original and all working as it should. 18v Active circuit provides lovely boomy smooth lows with the combination of the P pickup really demonstrating the Japanese brilliance of these basses. What makes this truly awesome is, yes, it has the original Japanese Westone case! Which is also pristine and not falling to bits!!

One of the previous owners had left 2 holes towards the top horn, Thumb rest maybe??

No issues whatsoever, neck straight, fantastic overall condition finish & otherwise.

Truss rod works fine.

Frets have minimal wear and the fingerboard is perfectly clean & conditioned.

As with all of these basses, the brass hardware tends to flake/tarnish. There is minimal of both on this bass.

I also want to mention the strings. Now, because it's a special bass, I figured I couldn't just slap any old strings on this beast. These strings are LIMITED EDITION and EXTREMELY RARE, La Bella Gold Nylon Tapewound "Purple Haze" which are now very much discontinued and were only available to buy over in the USA directly from La Bella I believe. (A friend sorted me out)

Since this is a feeler, I'd really like to find the bass a home where it's appreciated for what it is rather than "I want to restring and mod the hell out of it". (If you're planning on restringing it, I'll keep the La Bella strings and I'll happily put the buyers preferred set on at the going rate)

Obviously if you're looking at this and know these basses you realize the quality that came out of the Matsumoku factory. In my opinion the Westone stuff tops anything 80's and Japanese. The Rolls Royce of 80's Japanese Intstruments!!

I've seen these basses sell at varying prices, however the passive ones sell £150-£200. The actives seem to go £350 and up. (Currently a Thunder 1A on eBay for £385 without the original case & with bids) So I'm asking £400 Cash on collection from Ashbourne Derbyshire. Which is a fair price I reckon.

You'll be funding a new Leather Jacket, us bassists got to keep it stylish yano!!

I'm pretty set on price as you don't often come across these with the original case too, so unfortunately I won't take a penny less, so no silly offers please.

Thanks
C

Edited by ChazzJEUK

I recently "came by" one of the passive Thunders. I'd always hankered after one back in the eighties but never got one. Extremely playable basses with excellent standards of fit and finish. Try finding solid brass hardware on a "cheap" far eastern bass these days!

I don't understand the huge (asking) price difference between the passives and the actives. Is the active circuit really that awesome? Or were there fewer actives made and sold? It makes little sense to me - especially as the passives are such good basses and easily as good as much that you would pay £500-800 for these days...

I'll be watching this one with interest. Good luck! B)

Thanks mate, well both.

A lot of the Actives you seem to come across have been tampered with. This hasn't been, it seems people liked to convert these from the original 18v circuit to 9v, maybe to save money on batteries?!

Yes, hoards of passives were produced which obviously marketed for quite bit less. To find a 100% original Thunder 1A is quite rare. People had a habit of modifying them or changing them in some way (Weird refinishes etc)

Oh and, a big YES. The preamp really is that awesome, can achieve everything £1000+ basses can & better. It can get everything from smooth, thump lows that fit in the mix to cutting through like a sword.

I guarantee first to try will buy it.

Cheers
C

[quote name='Hazy Bass' timestamp='1507673234' post='3387230']
As sblueplanet says, great basses and very underrated. I had a fretless back in the 1980s and my brother had the fretted version. Terrific build quality and sound. Don't recall seeing too many black ones either. GLWTS!
[/quote]

Thank you sir! Yes! When I purchased it me and the previous owner had a chat about the black ones (with black necks) seemed to be a lot rarer...

Cheers!
C

I bought an apple red one about 6 weeks ago, really happy with it overall. The balance is slightly more towards the neck than I'd experienced before, but you get used to it. The sound really is very good indee. In fact it delivers some of the most extreme tone variations I've ever heard. Quality of finish on the neck is just superb. I don't know how the necks vary, if at all, but mine is a very nice slim yet solid feeling thing - really nice to play.

Best of luck with the sale, everyone should try one of these.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1509822804' post='3401916']
Is the discoloration on the strings deliberate? I can't tell on my mobile...
[/quote]

The strings are La Bella Purple Haze, Gold Cored tapewounds with clear nylon & purple silk intertwined in the core

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1509822804' post='3401916']
Is the discoloration on the strings deliberate?...
[/quote]

There's a pretty complete description here ...

[url="http://www.bassstringsonline.com/La-Bella-Limited-Edition-Purple-Haze-Gold-White-Nylon-Tapewounds-4-String-Set-50-105_p_3694.html"]La Bella 'Purple Haze' strings ...[/url]

Hope this helps

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1509824150' post='3401939']

There's a pretty complete description here ...

[url="http://www.bassstringsonline.com/La-Bella-Limited-Edition-Purple-Haze-Gold-White-Nylon-Tapewounds-4-String-Set-50-105_p_3694.html"]La Bella 'Purple Haze' strings ...[/url]

Hope this helps
[/quote]

Thanks mate :)