Why become a member? ×

Expression / volume pedal kickstarter...

EBS_freak

Found myself looking at this on kickstarter -

[url="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1213353468/bright-spark#"]https://www.kickstar...8/bright-spark#[/url]

This actually looks pretty interesting. I know that expression and volume pedals are not always the most interesting of pedals to get excited over but this is pretty cool... well in my eyes at least.

About £200 quid though :-/ Hmm.

Edited by EBS_freak

After getting into lap steel recently and reading all about what's involved, I never realised how important a good volume pedal is. Most of the pedal/lap steel guys will use Goodrich or Hilton as they are proven workhorse pedals with very even swell and range. They are both well over £200 new, so if this pedal is a great performer with little or no tone suck then it's sounds a sensible price. I don't know what I was thinking when I bough my Fender volume pedal, my swells are more like shouts :)

I'm not sure this pedal would be compatible with most expression jacks... rather than taking the voltage supplied by the pedal and feeding it back to the same TRS jack, it supplies it's own voltage to a TS jack, making it a CV pedal.

The Dunlop DVP pedals take some beating though. Best action I've felt in an expression/volume pedal, and I only have the mini one!

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1506951076' post='3382205']
After getting into lap steel recently and reading all about what's involved, I never realised how important a good volume pedal is. Most of the pedal/lap steel guys will use Goodrich or Hilton as they are proven workhorse pedals with very even swell and range. They are both well over £200 new, so if this pedal is a great performer with little or no tone suck then it's sounds a sensible price. I don't know what I was thinking when I bough my Fender volume pedal, my swells are more like shouts :)
[/quote]
Indeed - I had a Goodrich for a while... bloody got it nicked on a gig. For pedal steelers, the stuff that we see, they aren't interested in for the reasons you say. The other thing that I am really picky about is how it feels under the foot. I like the feel of the Ernie Ball pedal - but again, that throw is not quite right!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1506951876' post='3382216']
I'm not sure this pedal would be compatible with most expression jacks... rather than taking the voltage supplied by the pedal and feeding it back to the same TRS jack, it supplies it's own voltage to a TS jack, making it a CV pedal.

The Dunlop DVP pedals take some beating though. Best action I've felt in an expression/volume pedal, and I only have the mini one!
[/quote]
You would use an insert cable on the volume in and out sockets. Voila! Passive expression pedal ahoy.

Not a lot of people seem to know this... certainly opens up the amount of expression pedals available to you. (e.g. any volume pedal!)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1506954169' post='3382251'] You would use an insert cable on the volume in and out sockets. Voila! Passive expression pedal ahoy. Not a lot of people seem to know this... certainly opens up the amount of expression pedals available to you. (e.g. any volume pedal!) [/quote]

This person did not know that. Thank you.