Why become a member? ×

Bass & Wireless onstage

Clarky72

I`d get a very long lead that would run around the edge of the stage, then gaffer it down along the front to avoid audience members getting caught on it. It`s easy for us all to have a pop at clumsy singers but remember, the singer is what sells the band and they should be concentrating on their own performance, not having to worry about leads on the stage (and I`ve been on a good few bands with clumsy singers so am not coming from a holier than thou position here).

Late to the party, I am amused by the audience/latency discussion ;-)
I have worked on stages from 3 x 2 meters (as a player) to roughly 50 x 20 meters (as a soundperson) and on some tours the guitarist was certainly using the entire width of the stage. That means that from his rig to his ears (them were the days, before IEM and all that) was a good 10ms of audio latency (whereas the Nady RF system was good ol' analogue and thus close enough to speed of light). Thing is, he had to adjust his playing to still be locked on to the drummer. I am not saying it is easy (refer to the stage sizes I am used to...) but he did not seem to even notice. Did the audience notice? Well, some geeks like me did, but most of them were standing just as far from the nearest speaker, so it did not matter where he stood, the sync was never *right*. And now, with youtube having ruined it completely, I would be surprised if it made any difference. If it bothers me (odd brain) I simply close my eyes and enjoy the music, or look at the singer ;-)

As for the long cable runs - pedal boards have always been on huge cable looms. On the largest stages I worked on the safe cable runs were easily 100m from Nady receiver (with the Guitar Tech behind the amps) out to the pedal board and back. Once the signal has been buffered by the first active stage (Nady, or a booster, etc.) the capacitance is a fixed quantity that can be compensated for. You can get a line driver with a compensation pot (or as I have also known, always use the long cables and have a fixed EQ).
I would much prefer that to anyone stepping on my cables.
The thing about coax cables is that the distance between the inner and the outer matters - that's creating the capacitance. So even if the high heels aren't damaging the cable - they compress it, as does anyone else who steps on it. Cable is supposed to bounce, but sooner or later it takes on a new form. Now you have an impedance mismatch, reflections, HF loss... all worse then a well-kept long cable.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1507390923' post='3385184']
Why not buy those rubber cable trunk things people put down when a mains cable is running from a wall plug out to equipment in a room, often seen at conferences?
[/quote]
[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1506952063' post='3382221']
Something like this do you? [url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Line-Light-Duty-Cable-Cover/dp/B0078NU4C6"]https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B0078NU4C6[/url]
[/quote]

That is what I have. Bought some for next to nothing at a boot sale.

[quote name='Hanry' timestamp='1507318038' post='3384806']
Late to the party, I am amused by the audience/latency discussion ;-)
[/quote]
Be amused all your like - try recording with with high latency figures to see how you get on and tell me that's it's not something to be concerned about. Also - playing with high latency on stage and high latency with IEMs are slightly different... with IEMs I guarantee that the latency direct into your ears will concern you greatly, this is why the 10ms ceiling is taken seriously by the sound engineering world.

If you have the choice of keeping latency low... why wouldn't you? It certainly reads like that you are old school... and certainly anything Nady is anything but high fidelity. Any long cable runs of the magnitude that you are talking, on modern rigs, are certainly going to be over digital runs... but anyway, back to the discussion.