Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1506867776' post='3381613']
I'd also like to run split signals, and setting the cab handling the highs nearer head height makes sense to me.
[/quote]You only want to do that with cabs specifically designed for that purpose. PA cabs are, bass cabs are not. I'd no more mix cabs than I would a 50 year old single malt with diet coke. Pick the cab that sounds best to you, if one's not enough use two, but keep them the same.

I'll take this opportunity to post the pic from when I mixed BF cabs - 69er and Super Twin, powered by 2000w power amp, fed by Glockenklang preamp.
[Img]https://s25.postimg.org/h8xtnj5bz/2014-04-08105119_zps8a351ed7.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

It would have been rude not to in the short time when I owned both cabs

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1506894734' post='3381909']
Just to be clear, any crossing over (crossovering?!) or signal splitting would be for creative purposes rather than fidelity- say, a clean, deep, compressed signal on one channel, and a gnarly, bass shy drive on the other.
[/quote]For that purpose what works best is a bass cab and head paired with a guitar combo.

I was gigging a Midget T (previous gen 12" driver) and Super Compact G3 for a while and they worked well - separately and together. The only reason I sold the Midget was that I don't really need the 'T' and had meanwhile discovered the charms (for me anyway) of the One10. I like the subtle vintage colouration of the 10" driver in my covers band and have bought a second one. I find the permutations of the 3 BF cabs and 3 amps I now use (Eden WTX264, Ashdown RM500 EVO, Genzler Magellan 800) cover all the bases (and basses :D). This is by far the best kit I've ever had and don't expect to change anything in the foreseeable future.

On his site Alex says
[b] [i]Mix and match 12XN rigs [/i][/b]

[i]All the 12XN550 Barefaced cabs will work well together. However the best pairings are either with identical cabs or with matching 1x12" and 2x12" variants (i.e. BB2 with BT2, SC with ST). The other particularly good pairing is the Super Midget with the Super Compact.[/i]

Just email Alex and find out exactly what you need to know.

Well it's a hell of a lot of max output available but it'll certainly work fine, whether you run them in parallel or dual amp with clean/dirty signals or similar. Personally I'd mix at line level and run in parallel unless you're using valve amps for power valve dirt. Don't biamp with a crossover though, that would be pointless.

We get a lot of doublers using Super Midget + Big Baby 2 which I never anticipated but they're remarkably good together - the former thickens up the latter whilst the latter deepens the former. And as the former is literally half the size of the latter it's handy for when you're carrying a double bass and really need to minimise the size of your rig.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1507114888' post='3383364']Would you say there are any considerations if I were to run a [Super] Midget atop a BB2? Presumably lining up the fronts of the cabs is important regardless, and I will have to account for the different power going to each cab. But they're both basically flat response aren't they? Shouldn't that mean they just match right up, except for [i]potentially[/i] extended low end response from the larger cab?[/quote]

They work together very well - you don't need to line the fronts up but if you run them in parallel then if they're lined up you'll get a flat dispersion pattern whilst with the top cab pushed back you'll get a slightly upwards tilted pattern. Can be useful to experiment with.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1507115749' post='3383379']
If you are that tall would it not be easier to cut a hole in the stage?
[/quote]

Or stand three feet further forwards! ;-)

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpNDM_t5Bag"]http://www.youtube....h?v=lpNDM_t5Bag[/url]

Edited by alexclaber