Why become a member? ×

Guitar Players Who Don't Get Their Due Respect

Yank

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1507093976' post='3383227']
Tim smith.
[/quote]

I was going to suggest Jon Poole. I know the solo to Fiery Gun Hand is the result of some clever editing but his interpretation live was stunning.

Edited by mike f

Although he's a complete twat, and better known for the songwriting and vocals I think some of the stuff Prince played was superb.

Although hes a complete twat and better known for the songwriting and vocals Kelly Jones of the Stereophonics rhythm playing is great.

Although hes a complete twat and better known for wearing a school uniform Angus Young has a very talented brother. Apparently he can play young Gus under the table.

Steve Jones of The Sex Pistols is a great guitarist, and considering the rubbish about them not being able to play, listen to Nevermind The Bollocks and his guitar work, which is a cracking blend of many great guitar tracks. The producers, Bill Price & Chris Thomas, in the prog about the album commented on his playing and how he`s so tight as a guitarist.

Malcolm Young of AC/DC - Angus gets the limelight, but without Malcolms rhythm work I doubt the band would have been so good. A great platform on which Angus/Bon/Brian could work on.

Izzy Stradlin - Guns N Roses. Again a great rhythm guitarist, and seemed to have a knack of playing very sparsely, adding to the songs rather than being the rhythm guitar that kept the songs going - not an easy feat to accomplish. G`N`R certainly missed him when he was gone.

A guitarist who I think is almost criminally overlooked is Alex Lifeson from Rush. Maybe because his band-mates tower over most of their peers, Alex is not recognised as towering over most of his. Or maybe that although an amazingly articulate and melodic player, he's not as showy and widdly as some.

His playing on Hemispheres in particular comes to mind.

Edited by Sharkfinger

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1507281505' post='3384419']
Malcolm Young of AC/DC - Angus gets the limelight, but without Malcolms rhythm work I doubt the band would have been so good. A great platform on which Angus/Bon/Brian could work on.

Izzy Stradlin - Guns N Roses. Again a great rhythm guitarist, and seemed to have a knack of playing very sparsely, adding to the songs rather than being the rhythm guitar that kept the songs going - not an easy feat to accomplish. G`N`R certainly missed him when he was gone.
[/quote]

Good rhythm guitar playing is definitely an underrated skill. For years I had a phobia of working with two-guitar bands after playing with one too many "rhythm guitarists" who felt the need to maintain a wall of eighth-note power chords over every chuffing song.

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1507281626' post='3384420']
A guitarist who I think is almost criminally overlooked is Alex Lifeson from Rush. Maybe because his band-mates tower over most of their peers, Alex is not recognised as towering over most of his. Or maybe that although an amazingly articulate and melodic player, he's not as showy and widdly as some.

His playing on Hemispheres in particular comes to mind.
[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts.

I'd also nominate Michel Cusson of UZEB. His phrasing and tone are superb. Again, I think Michel is overshadowed at least in reputation by Alain Caron, who is known for his exceptional ability. However, as a unit they are quite incredible.

Robin Trower is (in my opinion) criminally underrated. Nobody comes close to his unique phrasing. More recently, I'm not sure if people have heard Lance Lopez who is an incredible player if you like your blues fast and raw.

Edited by Japhet

A couple not mentioned yet:
Zal Cleminson, SAHB's clown.
G.E. Smith, some blistering work on a lot of Hall and Oates stuff.
Jamie Moses - session player, seen him with acts as diverse as Los Pacaminos and Tom Jones.

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1507491027' post='3385869']
I have a few in mind that could go on this list.
but the one that i think tops all of them and should be known more is......
Jimmy Herring.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fau1dnLWTLA[/media]
[/quote]
Never come across him before.

Now had a look at a few things on YouTube from your link - what a great player.

Ta..!

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1507461681' post='3385551']
More recently, I'm not sure if people have heard Lance Lopez who is an incredible player if you like your blues fast and raw.
[/quote]
I was lucky enough to play with Lance for half an hour or so at a jam session a few years ago. Not only can he shred with the best of them,but he is a fantastic funk rhythm guitar player as well. Great player...

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1506960264' post='3382329']
One of my favorite guitar players is Neil Young-love his tone.
[/quote]

+1000

Awesome player.

Also, Ronnie Wood. Fabulous stuff always. The man knows how to entertain audiences using a guitar.